Centrefire moderator

Steve29

I've read that if you take a mod off a full bore rifle, say for travelling or storage, then you need to rezero when you put it back on. Is this right or is it just a case of checking the zero before going out on live quarry as most would in any case? I'd have thought removing it and then replacing wouldn't affect zero as you're only adding back on the weight which was taken off in the first place.

Cheers

Steve

Never heard of that !? If you don't tighten it up when you put it back on then maybe. Perhaps the amount you tighten it up would affect the harmonic vibration when you fire but you'd be talking such a miniscule amount that many other variables would be far bigger factors.

Where did you read that?

Cheers fella's, glad to hear as i've just fitted one on my .270.

Where did you read that?

Wish I could remember! I've done that much reading about mods recently in mags, on forums, etc that I can't pinpoint it. If I do i'll let you know.

For you lot who have bipods fitted do you tend to leave them on or remove them every now and again for hi seat work and shooting off sticks? If so does that affect the zero?

It has never happened to me but i do know a few who say it happens to thiers when removed and refitted. Only thing i can think of is inconsistant barrel OD and the ID of the bushing with insufficient clearance between, but if in doubt if your is ok or not just try a few times.

The bipod can only effect zero on two counts i am aware of one is closing up the free float clearance of the barrel the other is bounce. As regards a folded bipod effecting zero it might if the legs contacted the moderator or similar. Many sporting rifles shoot differently off bipod especially the harder kicking ones and those with lightweight stocks with a slim forearm and little free float. The only answer again is try it and see