Extended chokes - why

darren m

what are they for ??

you see lots for sale for all ready multi-choke guns , whats the advantage of them over normal chokes

thanks

There are a few supposed performance advantages, mainly that the longer choke should throw a better pattern, the ported versions are supposed to help reduce muzzle flip and also aid stripping of the fibre wad fromt he shot.

From a pracrical point of view if you shoot sporting then skeet you can quicky unscrew and swap your chokes on the ground without any faffing with tools.

I had a sporter with flush fit teague chokes and as I always used the same chokes and never removed them, they got stuck stuck fast. had they been extended they would of been easier to remove and I would of probably fiddled with them on a more regular basis.

I'm going to get an extended choke for my auto but for none of the above reasons, simply to protect the end of the barrel as it's a rough and hide gun.

what are they for ??

you see lots for sale for all ready multi-choke guns , whats the advantage of them over normal chokes

thanks

Just like go faster stripes, impresses the plebs.

There is a small improvement in pattern shape, ie less flyers on the edge, with F and 3/4, but from 1/2 up any difference is minimal. If the choke tube is, say 60mm flush, but 100mm extended, the rate of compression on the longer choke is slower, causing less deformation of pellets and containing the pattern edge shape better - but with chokes Cy. Sk, 1/4 the amount of choke is tiny and very little if any difference in the pattern quality.

They may be easier to take in and out and less prone to getting stuck - and colour coding on some makes of choke helps quick selection.

So, if an investment of around £150+ for a set of replacement extended is worthwhile for these factors, or maybe just F and 3/4 if you shoot rangy things or ABT etc, then maybe its worthwhile, otherwise, stick with what you have.

what are they for ??

thanks

The main advantage is that they put your barrel 1" closer to the target, thereby giving you a tighter pattern and more chance of a clean kill. :good:

The main disadvantage however, is that they will totally alter the balance of certain guns (Krieghoffs being a perfect example) and tire you out because of the extra weight. :good:

Just like go faster stripes, impresses the plebs.

Not so, I can't see anything impressive about them at all.

The fact is that internal chokes are just a **** design. I have extended chokes, not because I'm trying to impress anybody, just that they can be undone and removed by hand. I don't use a tool, I just hand tighten them and check frequently that they're still tight.

I'm not interested in rummaging around with some stupid tool, that's all.

The other obvious advantage is that you can see what you've got in at a glance, without having to peer at notches and other nonsense.

The fact is that internal chokes are just a **** design. I have extended chokes, not because I'm trying to impress anybody, just that they can be undone and removed by hand. I don't use a tool, I just hand tighten them and check frequently that they're still tight.

The other obvious advantage is that you can see what you've got in at a glance, without having to peer at notches and other nonsense.

Entirely agree.

The fact is that internal chokes are just a **** design. I have extended chokes, not because I'm trying to impress anybody, just that they can be undone and removed by hand. I don't use my tool very often , I just hand tighten them and check frequently that they're still tight.

I see :)

No wonder the wife's always at bingo ;)