Mossberg 500 Hushpower - The Law

ellebarto

I saw a gun featured in Gun Mart that I really fancied because it was moderated and appealed to me. Its a marmite gun for sure and the traditionalists amongst you will almost certainly hate it. Anyway this is the link to the feature.

http://gunmart.net/gun_review/hushpower_mo...action_shotgun/

I basically listed the parts I needed, including the gun and sent it to my friendly dealer and asked them to get it all for me so I could put it together. Thye have replied and I'm told that fitting a collapsible stock to a shotgun is ilegal and that Edgar brothers can supply but if I fit it and get caught its 5 years in the big house.

Now I thought the law said barrel length over 24" and non detachable magazine but other than that it was fairly loose for shotguns. That and the fact this bloke in the UK has a feature in the national shooting press explaining what he has done with pictures.

I'm still fairly keen to put this together but obviously need to stay on the right side of the law. Can anyone tell me if they are right?

As above, theres no problem with collapsable stocks as long as the gun meets the minimum OAL with the stock 'collapsed'

And thinking about it, I wonder if that OAL on that with the mod is enough so you could have it with just a pistol grip? That would be the ultimate ninja weapon :good: :good:

Edited by pbickerd

I don't own anything like this myself, but am always interested to see odd ball shotguns.

Have you seen the Saiga: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/saiga12k_tactika.jpeg

You can get the above in the UK but only on Section 1 as it has an 8 round magazine. For the UK market it

has to have a fixed stock and have a barrell of of 24 inches minimum.

I've never heard of a maximum length of shotgun. My semi auto and moderated .410 are both 50 inches

long. Anything longer would be plain silly and difficult to handle.

I don't own anything like this myself, but am always interested to see odd ball shotguns.

Have you seen the Saiga: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/saiga12k_tactika.jpeg

You can get the above in the UK but only on Section 1 as it has an 8 round magazine. For the UK market it

has to have a fixed stock and have a barrell of of 24 inches minimum.

I've never heard of a maximum length of shotgun. My semi auto and moderated .410 are both 50 inches

long. Anything longer would be plain silly and difficult to handle.

Ha yeah im the same. Some things just appeal even if I don't always have a use for them! Actually looked at this one last week but was too big an clunky! That's why this mossberh appeals because it's taking something a but unwieldy an turning it into something with a proper use!

that thing looks lethal why the hell would you want/need a reflex sight on a shotgun :S

if i had one id probably do something similar, if you look at the gun...

hushpower_pumpweb.jpg

the bead isnt inline with the rib, the moderator holds it up a bit, plus itd be useful for low light shooting - heres the guys own words!!

The new stock raised the sightline, however, making the gun shoot higher than before. As it happens, I had already identified sighting as an area that required attention, since the lack of a rib on the moderated barrel and the raised position of the bead at the end of the moderator together make it hard to judge where the shot pattern will be centred. Consequently, I added a Mossberg Weaver rail, for which the receiver is already drilled and tapped, and onto this I fitted an Eotech holographic sight.

so whats the difference between a folding shotgun and this one? my 20g folds in half as well as a single shot 12g vickers i had. the 20g is on a 26" barrel and the barrel folds into the stock.

your folding guns cant be fired when folded, whereas a folding stock type can be :)

ellebarto you said about a folding stock, bit confused, do u mean the spas 12 up and over type? cant see what the problem would be with the stock on the gun in that link, its only adjustable, not foldable :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Yeah i thinks been the issue. Edgar brothers think I'm after the foldable stock. I just want collapsible. I like the look but more than anything so I can get it in my cabinet!

i think the problem is what youre calling it mate :) , do you just mean the stock slides forwards and back only? why not just take the barrel off to store it in the cabinet, it only takes a mo with 500's, pull the slide half back, unscrew the nut at the end of the mag tube and off it comes, goes back on just as quick too :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

if i had one id probably do something similar, if you look at the gun...

hushpower_pumpweb.jpg

the bead isnt inline with the rib, the moderator holds it up a bit, plus itd be useful for low light shooting - heres the guys own words!!

The new stock raised the sightline, however, making the gun shoot higher than before. As it happens, I had already identified sighting as an area that required attention, since the lack of a rib on the moderated barrel and the raised position of the bead at the end of the moderator together make it hard to judge where the shot pattern will be centred. Consequently, I added a Mossberg Weaver rail, for which the receiver is already drilled and tapped, and onto this I fitted an Eotech holographic sight.

your folding guns cant be fired when folded, whereas a folding stock type can be :)

ellebarto you said about a folding stock, bit confused, do u mean the spas 12 up and over type? cant see what the problem would be with the stock on the gun in that link, its only adjustable, not foldable :good:

ah! i see now

snipped from HO Guidelines to police..

2.5 When considering the classification of

smooth-bore guns, special attention must

be paid to the length of the barrel and the

overall length. With the exception of those

chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges, the 1988

Act raised to the prohibited category (see

Chapter 3) all self-loading and pump-action

models which are either short-barrelled

(under 24 inches) or short in overall length

(under 40 inches). For the purpose of

calculating overall length any detachable,

retractable or other movable butt-stock

should be disregarded. References to “shot

guns” in the 1968 Act may be taken generally

to mean section 2 shot guns, rather than

those subject to sections 1 and 5 of the 1968

Act, unless otherwise stated.

Yep I read that so if mossberg as standard is 57" I'm taking it from that the gun without it's stock has to be more than 40" assuming the stick couldn't possibly be more than 17" an so adding anything, even if it were a folding stock I wanted, would still be legal. I think Edgar bros are more concerned in case it ends up on anything else!!!

Seems clear enough to me, if the stock is telescopic or removable that part can't form part of the overall length only the section that is permanently fixed to the rear of the gun, as that isn't 'detachable', it would require tools to remove as with any shotgun, I can take the stock of either of my Benelli's very quickly and easily, something can't be classed as 'detachable' if it requires tools or equipment, that's my take on it anyway.. :good:

Minimum overall length is 40" I think and as the moderator is fixed its well over that even without a stock!

Didnt take the traditionalists long to weigh in with the 'opinions'

Thanks for that!

Hey smart **** this 'traditionalist' owns and shoots a Mossberg moderated 20bore! only I still believe there are limits to how we should present ourselves!

Is the moderator sleeve removable? If so, when you remove the sleeve with the stock retracted it will be too short. :good:

:sly: its not, thats why it comes with a spare barrel.

ellebarto if you really want one you can cut out edgar brothers and buy them on ebay (american version) or midwayuk and get them sent to you. just be careful, as with the "normal" barrel on it could work out too short - and the cops could easily say you intend to use it with the shorter barrel :hmm:

:good: its not, thats why it comes with a spare barrel.

ellebarto if you really want one you can cut out edgar brothers and buy them on ebay (american version) or midwayuk and get them sent to you. just be careful, as with the "normal" barrel on it could work out too short - and the cops could easily say you intend to use it with the shorter barrel :sly:

Yep this is plan B. Just bouncing it off other shooters to kinda reality check my own thinking on the subject!

Hey smart **** this 'traditionalist' owns and shoots a Mossberg moderated 20bore! only I still believe there are limits to how we should present ourselves!

Ooos!! Ruffled feathers! Lol. I understand you and shoot with a few blokes who think like you an I have no problem with that attitude. I just think it's the responsibility and attitude of the shooter that's vital. The gun is massively 2nd. Other than a couple of nice woodstock rifles you'd hate most of the guns in my cabinet, especially the GSG .22 yet I have an excellent relationship with the farmers on my permissions who always seem interested in my latest 'gizmo'. I won't be comando rolling through the undergrowth. I will have a specific use for the gun being like this! Thanks for the comment though buddy!