Shotless day

ferretmanabu

I went the other day on the back of "moderate" wind forecast however the wind did not appear and neither did the birds or should I say I got a few large groups in early doors then NOTHING not even going to bother till tuesday 35mph wind forecast!

thats if you can believe the incompetant ****

cheers KW

I usually go out after 9`o clock, but have found that sometimes I only have to draw up into a gateway, and they`re off into the next county!! When that happens I am there at dawn the next day, stay in the hide all the time, not showing myself or shooting at larger groups and they will take it, for a few hours, at least.

With gas guns in some of the fields I am finding that, as long as my shot doesn`t coincide with my appearance outside the hide, they keep coming in until 2pm (ish)

Of course it helps if you can set up, on a flightline, close to a pigeon background where they will be heading for a rest during the day.

when i was young and foolish at this time of year i had the decoys out before daylight and would get about 1hour sport then go elsewhere.

Now i think 9am start on your best field always have a backup plan and if that fails then roost shot the ******* .I have most success when i dont shoot alone always split fire power to keep birds moving even if it means going on different fields.

going out in the morning with two mates,not starting too early as we have to feed the sheep first ( one of the guys i shoot with is shepherd on the farm ).that way we get to drive round the farm and see what is about and where.

plan for the day is to try the rape and if its quite walk the woods for charlie.will be working the dogs too so will be good to flush some game and let them get used to it not being shot.last outing with my 16 g so hope i get to remember her final shot in my hands :rolleyes:

Went out on Tuesday 3rd January 08 30hrs set out 10 dead birds on cradles the weather was dry and bright with a light wind and I shot 11 woodies in an hour with some nice shots I then went and fed my pond and checked a few feeders and went home.

Went back to the same field on Thursday 5th at the same time with a good wind but the pigeons were not interested so I went and shot a couple of pheasants and went home.There are a good few rape fields in the area so I guess they just fancied a change of location.

I intend going back this week to give them another try might go a bit later and see if that helps.

Hendo

went out as planned and started at half ten.between the three of us shot 57 and two crows.bonus was whilst feeding the sheep we came across a dog and vixen tied in and got them both ( not the hardest shot ive ever taken and what a good way to go out ! ).

no doubt we could have shot more but the **** taking was first class,will remember the laugh we had for many years. :rolleyes:

I know where your coming from ferretman. Went out today with a friend hoping for a good days shooting, all we had was a single bird and that was shot by a chance encounter. No wind about at all, very still indeed. The birds we did see were in flocks of 20+ and were totally not interested in our pattern in the least. Top it off it came down with mist. We left about 1pm cold and hungry amd wishing we had stayed in the house instead. If weather permitting and conditions are right, we hope to go next week end and hopefuly have a better day of it. all the best

when i was young and foolish at this time of year i had the decoys out before daylight and would get about 1hour sport then go elsewhere.

Now i think 9am start on your best field always have a backup plan and if that fails then roost shot the ******* .I have most success when i dont shoot alone always split fire power to keep birds moving even if it means going on different fields.

That sounds likea good idea. splitting up and shooting different fields to keep birds on the move. We will give that a try next weekend and see if it makes all the difference. Cheers all and good shooting ;)