little ***

darren m

went out to do some dogging in this morning , took my little *** of a springer with me , hoping to drive the stop whistle message home ( good oppertunity i thought ) :good: .

All went really well flushed plenty back stop whistle working as good as it used too .

just finnishing up after a 1 hour 20 min walk heading back to the car and walked up an edge where i did,nt expect to see a single bird and WHAM my bitch flushes 3 sets of birds in quick consession , i,d put my whistle away and she was having a bit of a free run.

Anyway it was too much for her and she took off after them ran into the cover , i,m whistleing and shouting like mad flushes 3 more birds , by now i,m running up hill after here and shes on her way back to me , boy did i feel like throttling her :lol: .

totally ruined my day and felt like crying :lol:

next time i,m on that stretch i will be ready :D

which springer darren?

was it the younger of the 2?

no mate the older one ( 22 months ) , the one i,ve been drilling every day with the damn stop whistle :lol: .

i had been using the blow the whistle to stop her , then through the dummy out , if shes stopped on my command she gets the retrieve , but if shes slow on the stop i place her back to the stop point and i pick it my self ( similar as you suggested ) routine.

great at close-ish quarters and she had started to get the message at abit further out say 40/50 yards , she actually stops and looks at me for redirection ( or did ) :lol:

like i said in one of my other posts she had seemed to have gone up a gear , bit hyper , but then again there as been a lot of scent on the ground.

if only i had an e-collar on her at that vital moment :lol:

the younger one ( 8 months ) i,ve eased up on mate , i,m finding the less i do with her the better especially the retrieving bit just going stick with it until hopefully :hmm: her instincts kick in a bit more .

Darren I train gun dogs for people, mainly Springers

Firstly when walking the dog never let it go more than 20 yards without the recall, make sure he comes back to hand with every recall, keep doing this and evantually the dog will learn that it can only go so far before it turns and looks at you.

Also if it has got into cover don't think it is ignoring you, quite often a dog running through cover can't actually hear you, you may find that hard to believe and so did I until I saw a video which the dog had a micrphone on it collar.

The best way of getting your dog to sit at a flush is to make sure it is 100% to the drop whistle before you show it any game, once it is and you do blow the drop whistle when it flushes a bird, if it behaves loads of praise.

The other way is getting it to drop to shot or a raised gun, you can do this in your garden with a broom stick, every time you raise the stick like it is a gun blow the drop whistle, depending on the dog at some point all you'll have to do is raise the stick and the dog will drop.

Remember lots of praise when it gets it right.