Marlin 917VST .17HMR

ollie

I am thinking of putting in for a variation soon for the .17HMR (put in for variation now I might have the gun by next July) and I was wandering if any of you guys had any thoughts on the gun listed above. I saw one on Guntrader and I loved the look of it but obviously it would be useful if I knew how it shot. Was thinking of staying with CZ but the thumbhole and cosmetics are pushing me towards the Marlin.

Pros and cons welcome. :good:

i have the 917v mate, standard non thumbhole version, theyre an excellent piece of kit. need to be kept clean (i give mine a full clean after every 30 or so shots) but accuracy is unbelieveable - on my first day zeroing i was getting clover leaf and same hole groups at 100 yards, and at 150 yards it was putting the rounds exactly where i wanted :good:

everyone seems to advise to go for cz's but im definitely glad i went for a marlin, any cz ive held or used has felt too light to me :P

only con's are they usually dont come screw cut, also the magazine guide bar (hard to explain unless youre holding a gun, but its the bit of metal that sticks down like a guide rail for the mag :lol:) can require a bit of adjustment to hold the magazine in the right position to feed the rounds, but its very simple to do sort, you just bend it forwards slightly, took me 2 seconds to do it :yes:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

i have the 917v mate, standard non thumbhole version, theyre an excellent piece of kit. need to be kept clean (i give mine a full clean after every 30 or so shots) but accuracy is unbelieveable - on my first day zeroing i was getting clover leaf and same hole groups at 100 yards, and at 150 yards it was putting the rounds exactly where i wanted :yes:

everyone seems to advise to go for cz's but im definitely glad i went for a marlin, any cz ive held or used has felt too light to me :lol:

Well I have a CZ in .22lr and its been great, but I want something with a stainless barrel (and didn't want another CZ Style) and Thumbhole, like I said its a nice looking bit of kit. Thanks for the advice :good:

it'll be far superior to the marlin, mine gets cleaned every 250 or so rounds but it tells me when it needs it as accuracy goes off. Other than that for a bunny or winged vermin control tool you won't regret it,

why?

have you owned both :yes: i have and its the marlin all day long. :good: from the finish and the accuracy!

I have the marlin 917vs with a richards microfit stock on it, its a very accurate gun but a little long and not light ( awkward out of a vehicle) but for 130 - 150 yard bunny sniping it does the job well.

KW

Ive owned both and the CZ has a better build quality and the mags do stay in the rifle- unlike the Marlin I had :blink:

and now theres a thumbhole CZ - what more could you ask for :lol::lol:

Les

Did anyone else have problems with their magazine's or was this just a fault with your rifle? My next question is what is the trigger like on these rifles?

no problems with my mags, except what i said about the guide rail, and it was a gunshop owner told me about that so i presume its quite a regular thing. the trigger is quite heavy, not sure what the pull is but ive scared myself a couple of times when taking up the pressure on a cz or an aschutz and the guns fire before i wanted it to, due to the lighter trigger :blink: :lol:

im tempted to get a rifle basix trigger for mine to lighten it, i really would prefer a two stage trigger; having said that it depends what sort of range youre going to be using this at - the only time ive had trouble with the trigger is long range shots (300 yards on targets before anyone starts), up to 150/200 ive never noticed it :lol:

no problems with my mags, except what i said about the guide rail, and it was a gunshop owner told me about that so i presume its quite a regular thing. the trigger is quite heavy, not sure what the pull is but ive scared myself a couple of times when taking up the pressure on a cz or an aschutz and the guns fire before i wanted it to, due to the lighter trigger :lol: :lol:

im tempted to get a rifle basix trigger for mine to lighten it, i really would prefer a two stage trigger; having said that it depends what sort of range youre going to be using this at - the only time ive had trouble with the trigger is long range shots (300 yards on targets before anyone starts), up to 150/200 ive never noticed it :lol:

Ah thats ok, I only plan to take foxes at 290 yards so shouldn't be a problem :blink: :lol: