Anyone from the Glossop/Buxton area??

JSC

Hello all. Me and the wife are looking at moving to the Glossop/Buxton area and need any info/opinions from anyone who knows the area.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want.

Cheers,

JSC.

Beautiful countryside up there.

I grew up not far and spent a reasonable amount of time up there. What do you want to know, I may know otherwise still have contacts up there.

5 small shooting grounds within 5 miles, 10 medium shooting grounds within 20 miles, and dozens within an hour and a half drive.The area is scenic, though the winters can be parky. You would be well advised to own or be at least getting a 4x4. I do believe Buxton is the highest town in the UK. Nice people and some reasonable schools in the area, I would advise a village on the perimiter of both towns as they suffer from rowdys most weekends but where doesn't today. Enjoy. from Auntie. :good: I can think of alot worse places to live.

5 small shooting grounds within 5 miles, 10 medium shooting grounds within 20 miles, and dozens within an hour and a half drive.The area is scenic, though the winters can be parky. You would be well advised to own or be at least getting a 4x4. I do believe Buxton is the highest town in the UK. Nice people and some reasonable schools in the area, I would advise a village on the perimiter of both towns as they suffer from rowdys most weekends but where doesn't today. Enjoy. from Auntie. :good: I can think of alot worse places to live.

Thanks for that 100milesaway, very useful info.

JSC.

I would agree about Matlock Bath, Ashbourne and Buxton, but Glossop is a mixed bag. Okay during the day, but I am advised that it has a real drug problem at night. It was described to me as the drug centre of the North.

Not the easiest place to drive to or from in the rush hour. Nightmare would be fair comment.

I was born in Buxton and lived in the surrounding area for 16 years and still go back on a regular basis.

I would avoid both of the towns like the plague. The area the day trippers see is not the real Buxton and it has changed for the worst over the years. They started to build large estates in the 80's for social housing and ship in all the trouble families from the cities.

Buxton now has a MASSIVE drug problem.

My advise would be to buy in one of the surrounding villages such as Tideswell which still has the village feel to it and despite being only 30 mins away is not effected by drugs or crime.

All the decent shopping is in Manchester, Sheffield etc so won't make much difference.

If you want to know any more drop me a PM.