can u

Essex Keeper

evening

my cousin wants to share a gun cabniet with his dad is this ok to do

if he gets a new cabniet does it have to be checked

cheers :good:

Yes he can but all the guns would need adding to both licences and you

would probably get an inspection anyway because of this so inform them

before you change it.unless firearms are involved then no.

Edited by fluke2

The FEO is also inspecting how the cabinet is secured to the wall and where it is located.

i thought he was just switching cabinets?

"The Police have no right in law to inspect the storage arrangements of the Certificate Holder. Contrary to what some Firearms Licensing Officers say, it is a matter for the Certificate holder to store his guns securely as required by the Firearms Act 1968 and Firearms Rules 1998"

My own cabinet has been inspected at the time of my sgc application, and of course the op would be sensible to call his FEO.

Edited by artschool

"The Police have no right in law to inspect the storage arrangements of the Certificate Holder. Contrary to what some Firearms Licensing Officers say, it is a matter for the Certificate holder to store his guns securely as required by the Firearms Act 1968 and Firearms Rules 1998"

Best of luck to anyone who quotes that to his FEO on their doorstep.

However life is simply easier (and less likely to cause issues in future licensing requests) if your just reasonable. I don't see asking to look at your cabinet as massively intrusive or inconvenient.

I have never heard of anyone being refused anything on the grounds of their cabinet and i know of some that have been installed in a less than factory spec manner.

Shortly before my SGC was due for renewal I decided to go co-terminus and upgraded my generic 4 gun cabinet for a Brattonsound RL7+, due to the weight of it I also moved the location (was in attic .... Took me an hour to get it up the stairs so no way in hell could I get it up through an attic hatch)

Anyway when the FEO came round for renewal / grant interview he seemed concerned I had not notified them of the location change, I informed him it was done at time of application so technically the app was notification and he was ok about it.

He recorded the new location of cabinet and asked how many guns it is rated to hold and also recorded that.

Shortly before my SGC was due for renewal I decided to go co-terminus and upgraded my generic 4 gun cabinet for a Brattonsound RL7+, due to the weight of it I also moved the location (was in attic .... Took me an hour to get it up the stairs so no way in hell could I get it up through an attic hatch)

Anyway when the FEO came round for renewal / grant interview he seemed concerned I had not notified them of the location change, I informed him it was done at time of application so technically the app was notification and he was ok about it.

He recorded the new location of cabinet and asked how many guns it is rated to hold and also recorded that.

That is simply your FEO throwing a wobbly, there is NO requirement to detail the capacity of a Cabinet or its location.

Neither are you obliged to advise them if you move its location (within the same address) or buy an additional cabinet!

The secure storage of your SGC/FAC tools is your responsibility.

I have 3 Cabinets and the police have NEVER inspected any of them and don't have a clue where any are. My first, many years back, was located in the loft space and the FEO at the time simply stuck his head through the loft hatch and saw it in the distance, that is the most thorough inspection any of my cabinets have ever had! I moved house around 5-6 years ago and advised them of my change of address, which they cocked up so I rang them. I asked at that time if they intended to inspect the cabinet and they just asked if I had it secured properly and when I said it was they said fine. Several Variations/renewals since and they have never asked to see the cabinet/s.

Edited by Dekers

so if he puts his gun on his dads form that be ok

If you are sharing a Cabinet permanently, then that is indicitave of the fact that both parties have access to all guns stored, therefore, in the normal course of events ALL guns would have to be listed on BOTH parties SGC and FAC!

This is usually pretty easy with SGC but can become much more of a problem with FAC tools.