.17 mach 2

kyska

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

I'm thinking about putting in a variation for one, although I'm unsure if the rozzers will allow that as I already have hmr?

I'm moving, to a county that allows hmr for fox, so I can free up my CF slot (I haven't bought one yet), I fancy something that will bridge the gap from FAC air to .17hmr.

I did have .22lr but without starting another debate, got rid of it due to the riqochet, which was mainly the lie of my lands fault and all of the rock just under the surface.

Kyska

its a bit excessive moving county just so you can shoot foxes with HMR :good:

The HM2 is a reasonable caliber but personally i'd just buy the centrefire and stick to what you have at the moment. You can use the HMR in most situations and realistically once you can shoot foxes with it then you either start carrying multiple guns or just go for a mooch with one knowing you can take most things

Thanks guys, my local rfd supplies the ammo.

al4x, I get your point, but it seems a bit of a waste to buy a centrefire for the same purpose that the hmr will fulfil, I don't think I'll use the cf for anything other than fox.

Reasoning behind the swap is that I don't think I'll buy a CF if I can zap the odd fox with the hummer, which leaves a unused slot, which I don't have to fill but is too tempting not to fill it.

I could just go back to the lr and have another go, I was (still am really) very inexperienced and it put me off, I wish I knew how far a riqocheted .22 travels as I'd have another one like a shot, I loved it!

I was/am very nervous of the ricochet from .22lr but the more i use the gun i realise it isnt that bad. I was thinking of going down the .17hm2 route as my local rfd are selling some Remington bolt actions, screw cut for around the £280 mark but i just cant warrant it. The lr does everything i need and now i have the wmr iv got the range if needed.

Just my view

I'm sort of in the same boat, I have the hmr and fac air, the hm2 would be cheaper to run.

The lr was that bad, I just can't find enough information to allay my fears, all I can find is 'make sure your backstop is good' 'don't shoot if its not safe' etc which doesn't help as no matter how good the backstop a riqochet is a riqochet.

So I thought this might be the middle ground.

I was/am very nervous of the ricochet from .22lr but the more i use the gun i realise it isnt that bad. I was thinking of going down the .17hm2 route as my local rfd are selling some Remington bolt actions, screw cut for around the £280 mark but i just cant warrant it. The lr does everything i need and now i have the wmr iv got the range if needed.

Just my view

Kyska what is your land like? .17hmr is fine for fox in a slightly more urban setting so if you have houses and roads about it fills a useful gap, centrefire however if fields are bigger and you want to clobber a few more foxes is far more suitable. Though I shoot a fair few with my HMR its used where I'm not happy to use anything bigger or if I chance upon one. Personally cost doesn't really cone into it as the difference is huge, I also really wouldn't use any rimfire where i wouldn't use an HMR

Kyska what is your land like? .17hmr is fine for fox in a slightly more urban setting so if you have houses and roads about it fills a useful gap, centrefire however if fields are bigger and you want to clobber a few more foxes is far more suitable. Though I shoot a fair few with my HMR its used where I'm not happy to use anything bigger or if I chance upon one. Personally cost doesn't really cone into it as the difference is huge, I also really wouldn't use any rimfire where i wouldn't use an HMR

al4x,

Hmmm...its about a 1000 acre of arable, undulating is best word, no real high topography and large fields. Its cleared up to .204. I completely understand the idea of the Cf, but the amount of fox trouble I have makes it very difficult to justify the cf, as much as I'd like one. Its really about now and whilst poults are down, and I (the royal I, I have a friend with a open and a 22-250) clear a couple a year around lambing as I have had a couple of newborns killed. I could I suppose rely entirely on my friend for the fox.

There are a scattering of houses on the perimeter of the land. The cost issue was really comparing the hmr to the hm2, I shoot an awful amount of rabbit when the crops are shooting, and although I claim the vat back, its still an expensive game.

I think what it comes down to, is I don't want to lose a slot for no good reason, and also don't want the expenditure of a CF if I don't really need too.

Edited by kyska

personally the difference in cost between the HMR and HM2 is negligible when you bear in mind buying another gun etc for the job, HMR rounds now aren't much more than shotgun cartridges and have a better kill ratio. With decent sized fields and lamping from a vehicle the HMR wins hands down, as for centrefire or not well thats your choice but personally I'd definitley be going 204 rather than having much overlap between HMR and HM2. centrefire you don't use many rounds so again cost is minimal.

If cost is much of an issue with rabbit control I'm sure you could find a few local members on here to supply their own ammo and you just drive them round :good:

personally the difference in cost between the HMR and HM2 is negligible when you bear in mind buying another gun etc for the job, HMR rounds now aren't much more than shotgun cartridges and have a better kill ratio. With decent sized fields and lamping from a vehicle the HMR wins hands down, as for centrefire or not well thats your choice but personally I'd definitley be going 204 rather than having much overlap between HMR and HM2. centrefire you don't use many rounds so again cost is minimal.

If cost is much of an issue with rabbit control I'm sure you could find a few local members on here to supply their own ammo and you just drive them round :stupid:

Yea makes sense, thanks.... :good:

And there is every chance of a few days shooting coming up, its hard to keep the population down once the crops start shooting!

Personally I'd give the LR another go, I think HM2 fits too closely between LR and HMR without really offering much. A bit more range than LR (but not that much more) but the ammo is more expensive and it's noisy. If I want noisy and greater range than my LR then I'd rather have the extra range of the HMR and suffer the extra cost of ammo over HM2.

The LR is my main bunny gun but the HMR is great for 100-120yard sniping when the rabbits get wiley or the land is too open to let you get much closer.

Personally I'd give the LR another go, I think HM2 fits too closely between LR and HMR without really offering much. A bit more range than LR (but not that much more) but the ammo is more expensive and it's noisy. If I want noisy and greater range than my LR then I'd rather have the extra range of the HMR and suffer the extra cost of ammo over HM2.

The LR is my main bunny gun but the HMR is great for 100-120yard sniping when the rabbits get wiley or the land is too open to let you get much closer.

I have a sako quad .17 mach2 , i ditched both my .22lr and hmr for it and never regretted it , ammo is not that expensive i pay £4.75 for a box of eley and i think that is pretty much on par with .22lr rounds and can shoot just as far as the hmr with it .

To be honest though i think its all down to personal preference as i use the mach 2 for bunnies but also have a wmr which i use for bunnies and and fox and to be honest it sees more action than the mach 2 does.

Edited by Devonhunter

Devon hunter, How do you find the Dm80- compared to the Wildcat whisper on the 2 rounds?

I highly rate the dm80 mod to be honest i think its a superbly built mod that does a good job , the wildcat whisper on the other hand i dont rate and have just replaced the one on my mach 2 with a sak that does the job just as good and looks better , comparing them id say the dm80 reduces the crack from the wmr down to same as the mach 2 not bad really considering its alot more powerful.

I have a Kimber in 17 Mach II. Out here the ammo is cheaper than the HMR. I wouldnt swap this rifle for the world. Excellent POA gun to 125 metres for foxes in the chest. Excellent head shot rabbit gun to 100m. Significantly quieter than the HMR. If this calibre had been introduced before the HMR then it would enjoy far more popularity.

Cheers

I have a Kimber in 17 Mach II. Out here the ammo is cheaper than the HMR. I wouldnt swap this rifle for the world. Excellent POA gun to 125 metres for foxes in the chest. Excellent head shot rabbit gun to 100m. Significantly quieter than the HMR. If this calibre had been introduced before the HMR then it would enjoy far more popularity.

Cheers

125 metres on foxes with the HM2 is really not on,

what would concern me slightly is availability of ammo as it is a little used caliber and not reloadable.

125 metres on foxes with the HM2 is really not on,

what would concern me slightly is availability of ammo as it is a little used caliber and not reloadable.

You would be surprised at what this calibre will bring down with one shot kills.

I believe there will always be one or two manufacturers. CCI and Federal are made on the same machines and I believe you have Eley over there

Cheers

Whats the point of any calibre then? ???

They are cheaper and quieter than the hmr, but have more legs and flatter than a .22lr.

I'm not the only person who dosent get it,the mach 2 is massively unpopular,not many firearms chambered for it, I will just have to agree to disagree with you mate,I just don't see it as ever takin off,its already going the way of the .204 ruger and the .22 swift,I've never really seen the need for anything in between .22 and .17 hmr. Anyhow that's just me,if u like it that's all that matters.

I'm not the only person who dosent get it,the mach 2 is massively unpopular,not many firearms chambered for it, I will just have to agree to disagree with you mate,I just don't see it as ever takin off,its already going the way of the .204 ruger and the .22 swift,I've never really seen the need for anything in between .22 and .17 hmr. Anyhow that's just me,if u like it that's all that matters.

I seem to be the person who actually needs that in between, the lr really isn't suitable for my land.

like I said,no slur on u.I'm just not sold on it,that's all! If it works for u,and u can get the ammo then u go for it mate.

Oh I know that mate, if I came across wrong sorry.

I must say, I am a little intruiged by the less popular calibres, thats why I have a slot for a .204 too. I'd like a lr again, still debating whether just to try again, but past experience has put me off, but as I've said I had very little experience then.