10 bore

Paddy Galore!

been thinking about another vastly over expensive caliber gun :hmm:

anyway, a very nice 10g sxs came in for a repair not so long back, looked quite tasty, single trigger, none of that straight hand stock squit either.

Iwas just wondering how much they go for...

Any ideas?

thanks,

gram.

Varies massively Gram - you can occasionally pick up a rough double 10, often a battered spanish double, for a couple of hundred. Take a look at Holts online catalogue however, and you can find mint conditioned premier English makes with Wildfowling provenance for getting on for £8k+. Double tens are generally quite some way cheaper than double eights, but they do seem to be increasing in value somewhat, especially decent hammer versions.

been thinking about another vastly over expensive caliber gun :blush:

anyway, a very nice 10g sxs came in for a repair not so long back, looked quite tasty, single trigger, none of that straight hand stock squit either.

Iwas just wondering how much they go for...

Any ideas?

thanks,

gram.

Any luck with the price query Gram?

Many, many moons ago ............ :good:

The single trigger SxS was in all probability an AYA Matador 10g. full pistol grip, 32" barrels, 3.1/2" chamber ejector, obviously a Spanish gun from a premium manufacturer. Expect £600-£900 depending on condition.

Cheaper 10g. SxS from Spain, Zabala etc. expect £250 for a reasonable example but :stupid: built like the proverbial brick out house and during the 1980's some where bored out to 8 bores which shows how thick the barrel walls where.

Lincoln can be SxS or O/U you have a choice, quite a nice gun again 32" barrel, the O/U holds it's price better than the SxS and expect to pay £250-£350 depending on condition.

Forget any English 10g. as they will only have 2.7/8" chambers but cartridges can still be had, I think Gamebore do a 42g. load but with a price tag of £5 (five) per cartridge for treated steel, that's £50 for 10 :stupid:

All of the above (except the AYA) are non-ejectors and non-multi choke and with fixed chokes at 1/2 and full. 3/4 and full and even full and full your very limited, geese not too bad but well over choked for duck. (in my opinion)

During the mid 1970's Ithica 10g. semi autos started to be imported from the States and what a superb gun it was.

Three different models / grades but all 3 shot and multi chokes with 3.1/2" chambers, unfortunately a price tag of £750-£950 was a hell of a price in those days. Ithica went bust but the design was taken up with a few mods by Remington with their SP10 semi auto again a very nice gun but in my opinion too heavy.

Can you get cartridges in your area ??

Very, very limited supply and very expensive, expect to pay £1.50 - £2.50 a cartridge depending which non toxic shot is loaded.

(this can double if Heavy Shot / tungsten is loaded.)

Home loading is the norm for most 10g. users and there are quite a few ardent wildfowlers who use this method only.

Nothink like shooting a goose with a home loaded cartridge, it makes the time and effort all worth while.

If you go the 10g. route enjoy the expence, the over heavy gun, the poor balance swing etc, etc.

There NOT for the odd use you must use them on a frequent basis and get used to the guns feel.

Many, many moons ago ............ :good:

The single trigger SxS was in all probability an AYA Matador 10g. full pistol grip, 32" barrels, 3.1/2" chamber ejector, obviously a Spanish gun from a premium manufacturer. Expect £600-£900 depending on condition.

Cheaper 10g. SxS from Spain, Zabala etc. expect £250 for a reasonable example but :stupid: built like the proverbial brick out house and during the 1980's some where bored out to 8 bores which shows how thick the barrel walls where.

Lincoln can be SxS or O/U you have a choice, quite a nice gun again 32" barrel, the O/U holds it's price better than the SxS and expect to pay £250-£350 depending on condition.

Forget any English 10g. as they will only have 2.7/8" chambers but cartridges can still be had, I think Gamebore do a 42g. load but with a price tag of £5 (five) per cartridge for treated steel, that's £50 for 10 :stupid:

All of the above (except the AYA) are non-ejectors and non-multi choke and with fixed chokes at 1/2 and full. 3/4 and full and even full and full your very limited, geese not too bad but well over choked for duck. (in my opinion)

During the mid 1970's Ithica 10g. semi autos started to be imported from the States and what a superb gun it was.

Three different models / grades but all 3 shot and multi chokes with 3.1/2" chambers, unfortunately a price tag of £750-£950 was a hell of a price in those days. Ithica went bust but the design was taken up with a few mods by Remington with their SP10 semi auto again a very nice gun but in my opinion too heavy.

Very, very limited supply and very expensive, expect to pay £1.50 - £2.50 a cartridge depending which non toxic shot is loaded.

Home loading is the norm for most 10g. users and there are quite a few ardent wildfowlers who use this method only.

Nothink like shooting a goose with a home loaded cartridge, it makes the time and effort all worth while.

If you go the 10g. route enjoy the expence, the over heavy gun, the poor balance swing etc, etc.

There NOT for the odd use you must use them on a frequent basis and get used to the guns feel.

Many thanks for that. Very informative indeed!

Can I possibly go wildfowling with my 12 bore Beretta o/u which has 2 and 3/4 chamber?

Edited by Ashbiker

In short your gun is suitable for wildfowling with it's 2.3/4" chamber.

But ..... and this could be quite a lenghty reply.

Are you a member of the BASC ??

What wildfowling clubs do you know ??

Do you have a friend who goes beyond the sea wall ??

How good are you at recognising ALL wildfowl in the half light ??

Do you know which species are legal ??

Can you name them ??

Can you recognise these species 100% at dawn / dusk ??

Can you identify the non-quarry species ??

Can you name them ??

I could go on and on with a multitude of questions to ensure you keep your licence and keep out of Court .......

Now the little bit of being insulted. (in a nice way.)

Your too old to start Wildfowling on the estuary. :stupid:

Wildfowling is in the blood and it starts at a very early stage in life, on the way home from school or work you check out the merse the changing of the sand banks, you watch the ebb and flow of the tide, you listen to the different sounds and try and identify them, the rush of adrenalin when the first migrating geese arrive you know the date when their expected and you wait in the rain and cold for their first appearance. You bunk-off school or work the following day and watch the skeins as they arrive, you try and count the individual birds, you see where they land, you check where their feeding, then you plan your first outing of the season.

After the end of the season the birds migrate back to their home land and you watch them depart, you wish them a safe journey and remember the ones that will never make that journey again.

You remember the the first goose shot that season and how well it tasted on the plate, you remember the plucking the drawing and the cooking ........ one of lifes experiences.

Have you got a dog ?? In the Pictures section there's recently been posted under Wildfowl heading some superb pictures of a young ESS covered in mud, unfortunately there isn't a picture of the handler but I bet he's got more mud on him than the dog has.

Now imagine your nice gun covered in mud, the sand /grit will be in the ejectors the barrels, the breech and the course sand / grit rubbing against your nice wooden stock as it transfers from your coat to the gun.

Now the expence, membership of the BASC (£55?), membership of a club (£80-£150?) Leictershire is land locked? so travel costs, over night accomodation for each day? cartridges and the best £2 each, the dog? and last but not least .........

The DIVORCE and that will be your biggest expence. :hmm:

In my opinion :good: try inland goose shooting in Scotland, there are some very good locations around Lock Leven, it's not for me although I've been there and done it. :stupid: if I remember the cost about 11 years ago for the shooting, accomodation, food and travel etc. the four days was £1100. :cry1:

Enjoy.

Your too old to start Wildfowling on the estuary. :lol:

Wildfowling is in the blood and it starts at a very early stage in life, on the way home from school or work you check out the merse the changing of the sand banks, you watch the ebb and flow of the tide, you listen to the different sounds and try and identify them, the rush of adrenalin when the first migrating geese arrive you know the date when their expected and you wait in the rain and cold for their first appearance. You bunk-off school or work the following day and watch the skeins as they arrive, you try and count the individual birds, you see where they land, you check where their feeding, then you plan your first outing of the season.

After the end of the season the birds migrate back to their home land and you watch them depart, you wish them a safe journey and remember the ones that will never make that journey again.

You remember the the first goose shot that season and how well it tasted on the plate, you remember the plucking the drawing and the cooking ........ one of lifes experiences.

Have you got a dog ?? In the Pictures section there's recently been posted under Wildfowl heading some superb pictures of a young ESS covered in mud, unfortunately there isn't a picture of the handler but I bet he's got more mud on him than the dog has.

Now imagine your nice gun covered in mud, the sand /grit will be in the ejectors the barrels, the breech and the course sand / grit rubbing against your nice wooden stock as it transfers from your coat to the gun.

Now the expence, membership of the BASC (£55?), membership of a club (£80-£150?) Leictershire is land locked? so travel costs, over night accomodation for each day? cartridges and the best £2 each, the dog? and last but not least .........

The DIVORCE and that will be your biggest expence. :P

In my opinion :good: try inland goose shooting in Scotland, there are some very good locations around Lock Leven, it's not for me although I've been there and done it. :lol: if I remember the cost about 11 years ago for the shooting, accomodation, food and travel etc. the four days was £1100. :/

Enjoy.

What a load of sentimental old tripe.

Anyone would think you were trying to put people off giving wildfowling a try. :hmm:

In short your gun is suitable for wildfowling with it's 2.3/4" chamber.

But ..... and this could be quite a lenghty reply.

Are you a member of the BASC ??

What wildfowling clubs do you know ??

Do you have a friend who goes beyond the sea wall ??

How good are you at recognising ALL wildfowl in the half light ??

Do you know which species are legal ??

Can you name them ??

Can you recognise these species 100% at dawn / dusk ??

Can you identify the non-quarry species ??

Can you name them ??

I could go on and on with a multitude of questions to ensure you keep your licence and keep out of Court .......

Your too old to start Wildfowling on the estuary. :lol:

The DIVORCE and that will be your biggest expence. :/

In my opinion :good: try inland goose shooting in Scotland, there are some very good locations around Lock Leven, it's not for me although I've been there and done it. :P if I remember the cost about 11 years ago for the shooting, accomodation, food and travel etc. the four days was £1100. :hmm:

Enjoy.

what a load of drivel 41 not to old in fact it's a good time to start he won't be as disheartened as youngster may be if he didn't get a full bag every time he went to the marsh.he must be fit enough if he plays squash .

as for where he lives he's within a hours drive of the best wildfowling in Britain the Wash ,theres more ducks and geese there than the rest of the UK.

there are pleenty of clubs that are taking new members, if he's a member of basc he can use the permit scheme .

it would be better to encourage people to take up wildfowling than trying to put them of.

D.D. :lol:

what a load of drivel 41 not to old in fact it's a good time to start he won't be as disheartened as youngster may be if he didn't get a full bag every time he went to the marsh.he must be fit enough if he plays squash .

as for where he lives he's within a hours drive of the best wildfowling in Britain the Wash ,theres more ducks and geese there than the rest of the UK.

there are pleenty of clubs that are taking new members, if he's a member of basc he can use the permit scheme .

it would be better to encourage people to take up wildfowling than trying to put them of.

D.D. :good:

Totally agree i am 44 next month started with the Penrhyn wildfowl here in N Wales last season spent many a night and morning and coming home not able to feel my fingers or tows being so cold! There is no better feeling than when you drop your first goose that's for sure.

Many, many moons ago ............ :oops:

Cheaper 10g. SxS from Spain, Zabala etc. expect £250 for a reasonable example but ;) built like the proverbial brick out house and during the 1980's some where bored out to 8 bores which shows how thick the barrel walls where.

Forget any English 10g. as they will only have 2.7/8" chambers but cartridges can still be had, I think Gamebore do a 42g. load but with a price tag of £5 (five) per cartridge for treated steel, that's £50 for 10 :lol:

All correct exept for the single trigger on a matador. They were all double trigger, I know because I own one. Plus a gold 10 had a BPS and my brother had an Ithaca.

For the record the only single trigger 10g is the lincoln which is an O/U. Elderkins greylag sbs's are pretty good, hell their barrels were so thick they bored them out to an eight.

My dream 10 would be a William Evans hammerless ejector........3 1/2 chamber and Nitro proof circa turn of the century- and around 10k of anybody's money.

If you fancy it, go for it just remember where theres a 10 there's some pain. Not only hauling it but shooting it two.

And to think when I was alot younger and in the days of lead and in my first throes of wildfowling, my first 10 was an old zabala.I had that tweaked by the gunshop so it could double discharge on the back trigger............Come to think of it I was absolutely nuts.

Used to use the winchester buffered lead loads as well 2 1/4oz of BB............

Ahhhh....the Winchester XX 2¼ oz load of buffered copper plated lead BB's...I have a tear in my eye just thinking of them...happy days, the #2's were damn good aswell.

When I give the ten an outing now, which is not very often, I use Remington steel #2, very good for ducks and about £1 a bang. If there are geese on the menu I have some homeloaded hevi shot #2, if you can put the pattern on the bird they will kill stupidly high geese.

Eyup Gram71

To answer your original question I shoot a Lincoln O/U 10.I bought it for £400 paid another £121 to get the chokes bored out and have the gun fully serviced.

Although it is a bit of a beast weight wise I find it swings through better than my Beretta SP with about the same amount of recoil.

I use Remington Nitro-Steel in a 1&3/4 oz load in number 2 shot for duck and find it kills cleanly first shot these are £27.99 per 25,I have just started reloading for it and will be emulating the Remington load although for a good long time(years) the reloads will work out more expensive until I've offset the cost of the press etc.

I took up wildfowling again after a break of probably over 20 years with the aid of the guy above (Cheers Rich)although throughout this time I've shot countless duck and geese but only consider myself actually wildfowling when I'm below the sea wall.

You may find it addictive and if you're owt like me you'll need to be out there even if you're armed with nothing more than the binos and the dog.

The main points have been listed about recognition but I will also emphasise keeping yourself safe, the marsh and the sea can be very unforgiving especially the time of year and the weather you'll be out in.

Spend as much time as you can out on your chosen ground learning it's ways. To where I shoot it's a 150 mile round trip and 9 times out of 10 I'm only going out there to exercise the dog I don't even take a gun if something flights over I know whether I'd have dropped it or not.

Mike...

D.D. :good:

Many thanks Derbyduck and Barn owl... I like passionate people!

I was with BASC via Leicestershire Wildfowler's but just last week took membership of Countryside Alliance as they offered special deal and did not get any invites from the club for wildfowling!

No, I can not spot the different birds but then never wanted to go off shooting geese on my own...

Guess would give it a go with my Beretta and if I like it, would go for a Urika 2 or some spanish 10g.

Cheers!

Ash :good: