CPSA membership

skyshooter

Just got my CPSA renewal through £59. Need the insurance so bite the bullet. However this week visited Blackpool Sporting Clays and picked up a free copy of Clay Shooter. Not as good quality paper as Pull but a good read and binned when read just like Pull. My point is that Pull could use this format and reduce the membership cost, because there are going to be membership lapses in the next couple of years at that price. They could even go to the same format as countrymans weekly to reduce costs further. Pull gets a lot of stick, most deservedly, but it is of a quality you would expect from the ''Field.''

Any one any views on this? :good:

Yes, Clayshooter is a good read, I wonder how long they will keep going as it's a freebie, and presumably all of their income comes from Ad revenue..?? :good:

You don't have to pay £59 for a years CPSA membership, I always go for the 2 year deal which is a tad cheaper, and if you're not a regular competition shooter then you can go for the "Clubman" deal at £32.

Pull mag have already downgraded their paper quality when they switched Publishers a year or so ago, they can't get much cheaper than the current format.

Cat.

do you even need the insurance?

i bet just about every shooting ground has public liability insurance, and you can bet that they will probably have to cough up first b4 the cpsa give any money out.

im a member of the cpsa but really its only for the registered shoots for me

i bet just about every shooting ground has public liability insurance, and you can bet that they will probably have to cough up first b4 the cpsa give any money out.

So, you go to a shoot where you beleive there is insurance, and a claim arises against you .

Of course, before you shot the ground you did ensure that

1. They have a valid policy in force ( did they pay last months instalment? Check their bank statements).

2. They have not invalidated their policy even if paid up by any mis-declarations, ie failing to disclose previous claims or criminal records etc.

3. That the policy is not invalid because they have not conducted an up to date risk assessment ( all policies require this in the declaration and there is currently a case of a RSA policy refusing to pay a coaches injury claim because of a faked risk assessment).

4. That the scope of the policy DOES include your activity - viz, does it include actions against shooters or does it only cover staff? Is coaching included? What is the situation for unlicensed shooters at 11(6)?

5. Is everything LEGAL? Most policies specify only LEGAL activities are covered - and you find that because of extra corporate days the shoot owners have been sneaking in, loss adjusters discover the accident took place on the 29th day of shooting on GDO land and is therefore illegal and cover denied.

OK so you have checked all this and you were happy to rely on his policy, but you accidentally shot doggy walkers Crufts Champion and they want £20,000 off you.

You go to the ground owner and he says - stuff you - your problem.

You are now being sued, so you join the ground in the claim and they deny liability. Thats no problem as you obviously have £10,000 under the mattress to fight the claim and hope to win - but if you didn't you'd need £20,000 as you would have to pay their costs to.

OR

Buy and carry your own insurance where-ever you shoot. BASC - CA - NGO - SACS - CCC3 - CPSA - SIS - your choice from under £20 to over £60 depending on what its bundled with.

Know which option I'd go for :blush:

Yes you do need insurance as well as a few other things I sell forms of insurance and there are claims !I also walk around a rough shoot and would hate to bag the farmers prize bull. Or at a clay shoot a ricochet off a clay you just shot blinds someone. It does happen. I once got shot in :blush: the ear once at a fitasc shoot one pellet hurt like hell that had been my eye I would have hoped they were insured