drive around

woody swacker

just been for a drive around my shoots as the dreaded rain has put the spanner in the works to shoot today,spotted lots of woodies on to quite old wheat stubbles with quite a good line going onto them,i moved on to another farm which i had quite abit of success on over the last to weeks,and although the farmer has turned the stubbles in he still left a good amount of beans still on the top for which about 200 birds were happily feeding on.so hopefully weather permitting of course i might get another 2 weeks shooting out of the harvest.lastly checked out locations where the rape has been drilled and most of the fields have produced good success in the past,so fingers crossed.

I usualy find rain keeps the pigeons in the woods. Had the odd reasonable day in light rain , but never shot much in heavy rain. Showers can be good as they leave feeding fields and fly to the woods returning as soon as the rain stops. Find the flightline and the shooting can be good.

These days I do not usualy shoot in rain , I go shooting to enjoy myself , not to get wet and cold. Nothing worse to have to dry out decoys , hides and clothes at the end of the day and then find you are down with a heavy cold the next week when conditions are perfect.

Edited by anser2

I usualy find rain keeps the pigeons in the woods. Had the odd reasonable day in light rain , but never shot much in heavy rain. Showers can be good as they leave feeding fields and fly to the woods returning as soon as the rain stops. Find the flightline and the shooting can be good.

These days I do not usualy shoot in rain , I go shooting to enjoy myself , not to get wet and cold. Nothing worse to have to dry out decoys , hides and clothes at the end of the day and then find you are down with a heavy cold the next week when conditions are perfect.

thank you my friend i 100% agree let the loonies get cold and wet,get all there gear covered in **** and grizzle when they get home cos they only shot 2!

use a fishing brolly with a net over the top and learn to shot sitting down. as long as you have done your homework and the birds are still playing then they will try to land in your pattern. you dont need all the room above you, just the theater in front.

i have shot many many a time like this and had fantastic days.

use a fishing brolly with a net over the top and learn to shot sitting down. as long as you have done your homework and the birds are still playing then they will try to land in your pattern. you dont need all the room above you, just the theater in front.

I have to agree, spot on. :good:

:good::yes:

Had some good days in the rain, under my brolly hide . :hmm:

IMAG0010.jpg

post-11306-1281893484.jpg

Edited by chrispti

Yes, it is possible to make a bag in heavy rain, and I'm sure we've all sat it out when the heavens have openned, but come on lads, it's no fun AT ALL when you're pi$$ wet, the dog's drenched, your sandwiches are soggy and the water starts soaking through to you crackers!

The birds don't flight properly and even if you do shoot a few, they end up in one steaming soaking pile of drenched feathers.

Everyone to their own but it's not for me.

Leave them alone and let them build up until a proper shooting day comes along.

Nothing a decent set of waterproofs wont sort out :no:

Dont fancy trying some proper wildfowling then :no:

The birds still fly about and feed in the rain, just as they do on a "proper shooting day", if I remember correctly, I had about 100 odd birds the last time I went out in the rain :blink: (pictured in my last post)

Admitidly they dont when it hammers it down, but you watch the birds pour in to your decoys when it eases off :no:

Then again, its not everyones cup of tea :no:

Edited by chrispti

Nothing a decent set of waterproofs wont sort out :no:

Dont fancy trying some proper wildfowling then :no:

The birds still fly about and feed in the rain, just as they do on a "proper shooting day", if I remember correctly, I had about 100 odd birds the last time I went out in the rain :blink: (pictured in my last post)

Admitidly they dont when it hammers it down, but you watch the birds pour in to your decoys when it eases off :no:

Then again, its not everyones cup of tea :no:

Wildfowling is where you EXPECT and even look forward to getting all that mother nature has thrown at you - and I do "proper wildfowling" regularly too thanks - the colder and wetter the better!

However, I'd rather leave those days for ducks and geese and then shoot pigeons when there is the best chance of making a bag. IMO they don't move about in heavy rain.

The topic is busily sorting the men from the boys.

Obviously driving down to the foreshore of a morning in te pitch black darkness and walking out into the teeth of a south to west gale/storm you have been patiently praying for, is a no no for some then, just to get under a rich flight of rock hopping mallard that otherwise would of flighted across the bay to the sanctuary a mile further out, as you just may get your gear wet, after walking a half mile out to the low tideline to get under them.

Only kidding, i used 95% natural cover for hides, even if i had to cut it, and roof rack/tractor trailer it to affected area decoying, in my day the netting was absolute ****, plastic shiny ****.

Only decent netting was ex army.

So i used garden fencing as a frame covered by natural in the latter years aswell as just natural/bales.

any weather, any where, any time.

I prefered the very stiff {stiff enough to tie big lumps of uprooted barley/vegetation to all around} black l very small holed fencing.

I always stood flat footed before pulling the trigger decoying, and made a spacoius hide like a tardis big inside, not many a rook/jack saw me before i saw them, not many at all.

Edited by manxman2

Nothing a decent set of waterproofs wont sort out :hmm:

Dont fancy trying some proper wildfowling then ???

The birds still fly about and feed in the rain, just as they do on a "proper shooting day", if I remember correctly, I had about 100 odd birds the last time I went out in the rain :lol: (pictured in my last post)

Then again, its not everyones cup of tea :hmm:

all i said in my posting was that i dont shoot in the pouring rain,i have no doubt that you can shoot and get bags in the rain.

i personally dont shoot in pouring rain!