Pet rabbit and myxi

Guinea Fowl

My daughter have some pet rabbits and it looks like the doe have gotten myxi.

Now, I am not to worried what happens to this rabbit as she is really wild but the buck Mr Nibbels is my buddy.

If he could bark then he will be mistaken for a dog, he will follow me everywhere in the garden, sit next to me when I am in the shed fixing stuff, having a BBQ on the weekends he will be there right next to me or with the wife in the kitchen, he even comes in the house and sleeps under our bed then out again in the morning chasing the next doors cat and so on, Oh I use him as my lawnmower to.

Now I know this sounds very gay, at least not as gay as MM with his moisturizer :blush: that is a level or two, to high for my liking , dear God to think I went fishing with the man :yes:

Can the myxi be passed from the doe to the buck and is there anything I can do to prevent the buck from getting it like a vaccine from a vet or something down that line? I'll be sorting the doe out tomorrow.

Edited by Guinea Fowl

as said always vacinate pet rabbits, if one has it then its probably going to spread round the lot so seek vet advice asap on the upside they are still edible if they do have mixi :blush::yes:

That reminds me of my granddad. When he was a little boy he had a small blue duiker,>>>>clicky<<<< one day he could not find it and around the dinner table he asked his dad if he saw the duiker as he could not find it, only to be told by his dad to "shut up and eat your dinner he's on your plate son".

In those days you did not argue back, even if you were not hungry you finished whats on your plate.

Edited by Guinea Fowl

Guest gloker

Are you sure its mixy? I only ask as our pet rabbit "chicken" (long story) had mixy symptoms despite being vaccinated. was very ill very quickly and died. turned out he had a back tooth that had grown up through his eye socket !! Chicken was a real character, thought he was a dog and would retrieve! (I kid you not.) He had a toy carrot that he would bring back to you when you threw it. He left a legacy of loads of little chickens when he escaped and serviced all the rabbits in next doors garden!

That reminds me of my granddad. When he was a little boy he had a small blue duiker,>>>>clicky<<<< one day he could not find it and around the dinner table he asked his dad if he saw the duiker as he could not find it, only to be told by his dad to "shut up and eat your dinner he's on your plate son".

In those days you did not argue back, even if you were not hungry you finished whats on your plate.

I grew up in a vets household, we had similar one I always find funny is someone brought two aggressive pet buck rabbits in to be put down and they ended up on the table. Along with the fact he always used a humane killer on injured deer as they usually went the same way, though there were the odd times that they got loaded into a police car as one of the officers at our local station used to be a butcher :yes:

Shame really I guess not much like it goes on now

Are you sure its mixy? I only ask as our pet rabbit "chicken" (long story) had mixy symptoms despite being vaccinated. was very ill very quickly and died. turned out he had a back tooth that had grown up through his eye socket !! Chicken was a real character, thought he was a dog and would retrieve! (I kid you not.) He had a toy carrot that he would bring back to you when you threw it. He left a legacy of loads of little chickens when he escaped and serviced all the rabbits in next doors garden!

Haha, our buck does the same he have a plastic ball with bells in that he will retrieve.

Yea I am very sure it's myxi, She have deteriorated a lot since last night, puffiness around the head and genitals.We live next to a little nature reserve and walking about the last thew days I have noticed a couple of wild ones with myxi like symtoms.

Guest gloker

I think you may have to do the right thing and have her euthanased (Is that how you spell it?) Its a shame as they make great pets for kids. (our current rabbit just wants to dig.) she has dug a hole under the hutch that took me twenty minutes to fill in properly. little **** !

I think you may have to do the right thing and have her euthanased (Is that how you spell it?) Its a shame as they make great pets for kids. (our current rabbit just wants to dig.) she has dug a hole under the hutch that took me twenty minutes to fill in properly. little **** !

Yes, she have been taken care of. hopefully having a good time in teletubby land, thats where they go, right?

Our Henry has the same retreiving instinct. He retrieves food from my hand and then runs away to eat it. :yes:

I think something may have been lost in translation... :blush:

I'm sorry for your loss GF, and I hope for the best for your buck. Lady Seagrave was so sad when we encountered a forlorn minxy rabbit shuffling around a churchyard a couple of years ago. It is such an awful diesease, and the symptoms are heart-breaking, even in wild rabbits.

LS