Dont forget to take out the bore sight

pavman

This pic was on Mythbusters...they tried to reproduce it every way possible. Cant be done.

Also, its been cut into 4 equal sections and peeled back with pliers...nonsense.

Theres a vid on youtube of this actually happening, im not convinced on that either

Edited by Peoown

This pic was on Mythbusters...they tried to reproduce it every way possible. Cant be done.

Also, its been cut into 4 equal sections and peeled back with pliers...nonsense.

Theres a vid on youtube of this actually happening, im not convinced on that either

mythbusters

SPINOFF: A .30-06 rifle fired while having a boresight still in the barrel will backfire and explode, creating a cartoon-like banana peel effect as shown in submitted photographs. (From episode 43)

plausible

The Build Team’s test used a brand new rifle. The barrel split several inches when fired with a laser boresight in the barrel. The Build Team surmises that the banana-peel effect could be achieved if this were to happen in an older rifle that has endured more wear and tear from firings.

I have seen a few barrel blow up pictures, including this one, and that is how they all end up.

The barrel will explode at the weakest point which will be where the rifling is cut, hence them looking like something out of a cartoon.

Here is another one:

A-overall_damage_jpg.jpg

I have seen a few barrel blow up pictures, including this one, and that is how they all end up.

The barrel will explode at the weakest point which will be where the rifling is cut, hence them looking like something out of a cartoon.

Here is another one:

A-overall_damage_jpg.jpg

Thats a gun in bits....not a comedy banana split.

That looks genuine to me, the keeper has still got a picture of his 12bore over and under when he accidentially put a 20 bore shell down without noticing, and the mess is horrific, lucky to still have his left forearm, it blew a 6 inch hole just infront of the forend and it makes your spine tingle, and he was only 17 when he did it, and is now uber strict about things like that, so I beleive it is genuine and an upsettable time as they could have blown a limb off or killed someone, it makes you wonder and realise just how dangerous guns and firearms are!

I wouldn't be so sure just because you watched a myth busters that disproved it that it can't be true, the reason it would split like that is the rifling is already a weak point for it to blow out as it did and the video looks pretty real to me too but thats just my tuppence worth.

George

I posted these pics a while back and one photo showed the shooter been taken away in an ambulance covered in blood which certainly looked real to me.

:blink: sorry Harv e mails are slow to pass around in sleepy Suffolk

post-1500-1286532592.jpg

Blimey the lengths people will go to just to get their picture on PW :blink:

The difference between the many blow -ups and this on, is this was because of an obstruction at the very end of the barrel, most of the others, like the .308 round in a 25.06, started from the chamber.

Thinking about it if anyone is in Rochdale they should go to Towers Of Rochdale (When they are open which is usually only on a Wednesday Morning) and have a look at the shotgun that they have hanging in the shop. It blew up in exactly the same way as the rifle on the video did, and I can assure you that was not "staged"! Things like this, (real or fake - it makes no difference really) serve to remind us of what sort of power we are holding when we have a loaded shotgun or rifle in our hands and how dangerous they can be if not treated properly, this is why gun safety is (Or should be) paramount to every one of us!

Real or fake- what sort of numpty fires a round with a Bore Sighter stuck in the barrel- should these sort of people be in charge of firearms??

I think not

Les :look:

Les sadly its called an accident, people dont intend to crash cars but it happens every day due to lack of care and attention just like most other accidents