Best Bait For Live Rabbit Traps???

lspencer

I work in pest control and spoke to a fella from killgerm about the best bait for rabbits,

He speaks to pesties from all over the country and without doubt the best bait for rabbits is carrots cut length ways.

Which is what i had found and what the people above had found.

Also you might want to try carrots blended in to a paste and blobbed around your trap, that seems to entice them

The trouble with traps are that people dont like them and if they can be seen from a footpath chances are your catch will be released or the trap crushed/stolen.

I try to wire mine to a fence post or something.

Good look let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...

Another vote for carrots sliced lengthways. Years ago I worked with the government's leading expert on rabbits and that was his recommendation. The Experimental Husbandry Farm had pens and pens of live rabbits for trapping and crop damage research. He was a very interesting chap who was so enthusiastic about the humble rabbit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't chocolate a good bait? I recall it being good for rats and when I had a pet rabbit as a child, I remember it adored choc

No idea about the bunny and chocolate, but I remain skeptical.

Rats have no taste buds but a good nose (same as mouse), that's why the old smelly cheese seemed to work ok. Frankly I don't know why they rate chocolate, but they do, I get a lot of success with it (squirrels too, although the best I find for them is peanut butter)!

I rarely have to trap rabbits, sometimes I need the live trap, and generally fresh veg works ok .. ish, (although I have not found any sure fire bait).

If trapping is required I find the drop boxes excellent, but you also get the occasional, fox, badger, hedgehog, snake etc etc..and they are a pain to site, especially if you need to dig in a few!