Loads for 'obsolete' 10 bore

1 hour ago, svdsniper said:

Yes it was a D Wales 

Make sure  it fired both barrels m8. i bought it last year took it out for geese and it would not fire right barrel i think it was .I sent it back. They claimed they could resolve the issue and would have to send it off someplace. Apparently the original housing for the pin was made off centre  Im sure they have done so but best to check.Apart from that it was a lovely gun.

yes i loaded up some wee black powder cases. 1 3/8 oz  lead i think they were .I was sat waiting for some pinks coming over the fields that never came.I test fired after the flight that never was. Pattern was good at 35 yards or so with #1.I think she was 1/4 choked so more suited to pond work than the shore.But yes check with the sellers that they resolved that pin issue .I had the gun looked at  by a smith here and he pointed out that it was certainly off centre and that the pin being used was deliberately made crooked to afford a reasonable strike.Should be fine so long as they resolved this. Lovely looking gun it was.

Hi Bishop

You are 100% right. I checked the gun as soon as it was handed to me and I could see the right firing pin protrusion differs and has been adapted to strike a little to one side. It was disappointing but I did get my hands on 2 live 3" shells so I removed the shot and powder and used one to test the firing pin...it fired fine so it seems they did rectify the issue.

Attached is a photo of the primer strike...and the gun so you can know it is same one.

Like you said...its a lovely looking gin with those barrels.

Was the pitting under the forend there seen you had it?

It's nitro proof so must have had that pitting but barrels are pretty thick at that place I guess.

I need to get some loadings sorted...loom forward to use her and not just look and play with her.

Rely appreciate the heads up on this  thankfully its a happy ending.

Regards

Kevin

20220206_151118.jpg

20220205_202133.jpg

20220205_201959.jpg

20 hours ago, svdsniper said:

Hi Bishop

You are 100% right. I checked the gun as soon as it was handed to me and I could see the right firing pin protrusion differs and has been adapted to strike a little to one side. It was disappointing but I did get my hands on 2 live 3" shells so I removed the shot and powder and used one to test the firing pin...it fired fine so it seems they did rectify the issue.

Attached is a photo of the primer strike...and the gun so you can know it is same one.

Like you said...its a lovely looking gin with those barrels.

Was the pitting under the forend there seen you had it?

It's nitro proof so must have had that pitting but barrels are pretty thick at that place I guess.

I need to get some loadings sorted...loom forward to use her and not just look and play with her.

Rely appreciate the heads up on this  thankfully its a happy ending.

Regards

Kevin

20220206_151118.jpg

20220205_202133.jpg

20220205_201959.jpg

Aye there was slight pitting .What puzzled me and my gunsmith--is how they got it through proofing with one pin knackered??Anyways.yes its a pretty gun.Im sure you will have a good few duck with that old gal