Crow decoying?

chrispti

• 3 weeks later...
i shoot rooks and crows but i dont use decoys to lure them in i wait in the hay barn, up on top, and wait for them to land in the yard.

to decoy them how many decoys would you place around the feed because ive been told that too many will scare them away

is this true? :)

no mate it wont if u watch crows or jackdaws feeding u will find the opposite is true just leave them

somewhere to land in range

atb dolphin

• 1 month later...

Have been enjoying some crow shooting of late. We have very few pigeons, but plenty of crows, so able to get some decent sport on them, which is great.

However, I see plenty singing the praises of flappers. I bought one and gave it a couple of tries, but it seemed to spook them more than anything? The same applies to bouncers, and the same applies to sillosock decoys if placed too high out of the ground.

Any insight into the flappers please? I could be doing something drastically wrong.

I seem to get the best results with a scaterring of decoys (about 18 I guess) then a caller.

What I have also noticed, which shocks me, is crows coming in to the pattern even when I'm still setting up! For such a shy bird, this really surprises me. Has anyone else experienced this? or are the crows I'm shootin a bit thick!!

On another tangent; what success do you guys have with placing a decoy up a tree? i have just bought some lofting poles, so would appreciate some insight please for the more experienced.

Thanks,

Snipe.