Crow decoying?

chrispti

I have never gone out solely after crows before.

As there seems to be a fair few on a particular field, I have decided to give it a go tomorrow :yes: .

Are there any tips or tricks (other than pigeon decoying techniques) that will help me bring the crows in ;)

Cheers

Chris :good:

hi crispti dont know about your area but i always like to be in the hide before first light

and tho others wont agree i always use a dog as soon as birds are down there just a bit quicker than me and you

unlike pigeons crows dont like there mates lying down with wings spread open but as you have shot plenty of pigeon im sure you will be fine

good luck

atb dolphin

If you can get there and be set up before daybreak,and get them when they are going for there first feed of the day you can get good shooting that way,and just the usual keep your face and hands covered and no movement at all or they will spot you a mile away,hope this helps and best of luck,and have a look at the link you might get some more tips :good:

http://www.crowbusters.com/

hi crispti dont know about your area but i always like to be in the hide before first light

and tho others wont agree i always use a dog as soon as birds are down there just a bit quicker than me and you

unlike pigeons crows dont like there mates lying down with wings spread open but as you have shot plenty of pigeon im sure you will be fine

good luck

atb dolphin

Unfortunately I cant get there untill 9am and I dont have a dog either :good:

So, I pretty much just need to keep the pattern tidy then ;)

Are the magnet, flapper and/or bouncers worth using ;)

Cheers

Chris :yes:

If you can get there and be set up before daybreak,and get them when they are going for there first feed of the day you can get good shooting that way,and just the usual keep your face and hands covered and no movement at all or they will spot you a mile away,hope this helps and best of luck,and have a look at the link you might get some more tips :yes:

http://www.crowbusters.com/

Cheers for the link, Irl give a read ;)

I have got some old pigeon shell decoys that I have sprayed black, so thats the decoys sorted ;) we shall see if they work or not tomorrow :good:

just go for deeks. set them out further than you think they should be. you will hear them before you see them. when you see one comming in from a distance, skooch down in your hide, keep still, and dont be tempted to try and drop them at the last minute. If they come within 20 ft, they willl land in the pattern. then give em the good news. :good: a face vail is a must. make sure you are using a good (heavy) load. just remeber, when you hear them, get your head down, keep still, and they will come in. :yes: 1/2 dozen deeks will, in a random pattern, pull them in.

land in the pattern and the shoot them aye righto.

may aswell stand tin cans in the field and shoot those.

a heavy load is the last thing you need, a deep hide with tall sides and a roof of sorts, total cover from the rear and a balaclava and mittens and an over=size bushhat, sit back in the dark {why turn yourself into a contortionist because you built a pigeon hide for rook shooting thats far to open at the front and from height}, use a fast burning crisp 7 like impax or grand prix if 24/30 yards is the point most birds will be connecting with your patten at, or a cupped 7 as in trap cartridge, similar to olympic trap if a little further range, its not how hard you hit em with a couple of pellets, they are not for eating so smash em with lots of smaller shot, the shock values finishes them quickly.

corvids will always attempt to land to the rear or the edge of your quartermoon setup, as landing in front of feeding birds will just get them chased off by said feeders, its a no no in the corvid world.

Edited by manxman2

land in the pattern and the shoot them aye righto.

may aswell stand tin cans in the field and shoot those.

a heavy load is the last thing you need, a deep hide with tall sides and a roof of sorts, total cover from the rear and a balaclava and mittens, sit back in the dark, use a fast burning crisp 7 like impax or grand prix if 24/30 yards is the point most birds will be connecting with your patten at, or a cupped 7 as in trap cartridge, similar to olympic trap if a little further range, its not how hard you hit em with a couple of pellets, they are not for eating so smash em with lots of smaller shot, the shock values finishes them quickly.

corvids will always attempt to land to the rear or the edge of your quartermoon setup, as landing in front of feeding birds will just get them chased off by said feeders, its a no no in the corvid world.

Do you all talk like that in the village :good: When questioning someones replies, why not explain your reasons behind it, not just come out with yokel musings.

Edited by MM

yokel musings, ive shot more corvids than youve ever seen most probably,

And just from reading what you write i can see exactly how much experience you have.

Well, why not have a read of it again. Like i said, why not elaborate on your comment, rather than just stating your greatness.

And PS, from reading what you can write, i can see ive also read more books than you ever have. :good:

Well, why not have a read of it again. Like i said, why not elaborate on your comment, rather than just stating your greatness.

And PS, from reading what you can write, i can see ive also read more books than you ever have. :good:

Thats because i was busy shooting corvids while you were busy reading about shooting pigeons.

stevie b is right about a good call, but most people over play them, theres a correct time for them that only experience can teach you.

and the practice needed to get it just so, makes a call only for the most serious of corvid decoyers imo.

Edited by manxman2

Thats because i was busy shooting corvids while you were busy reading about shooting pigeons.

stevie b is right about a good call, but most people over play them, theres a correct time for them that only experience can teach you.

and the practice needed to get it just so, makes a call only for the most serious of corvid decoyers imo.

****in ell, you sound like Yoda. :good:

yokel musings, ive shot more corvids than youve ever seen most probably,

And just from reading what you write i can see exactly how much experience you have.

manxman if you would like to come across to cumbria i will show you as many crows as you want landing

at the front of a pattern the only thing i agree with is using no 7 carts instead of slagging every person

who ask for advice why not give them some or even some proof of how good you are which we have yet to see

like i said come over and i will let you shoot the ones that land in front even supply the carts which you will need plenty of

dolphin

i was only having a leg pull for heavens sake, read my posts and imagine a smiley emoticon there and reassess.

im a bit to old for emoticons i feel.

nothing i say here is with a trace of malice, place is great.

he knows full well how to decoy, this thread was his patch and i the willing pigeon.

Edited by manxman2

manxman if you would like to come across to cumbria i will show you as many crows as you want landing

at the front of a pattern the only thing i agree with is using no 7 carts instead of slagging every person

who ask for advice why not give them some or even some proof of how good you are which we have yet to see

like i said come over and i will let you shoot the ones that land in front even supply the carts which you will need plenty of

dolphin

well said that dolphin... since he poked his head on this forum ive heard nothing but you young uns don;t know how to shoot like us old uns and you can;t decoy crows like that;and i;m the best shot ever on crows;and i have shot 20;000 of em;

wind yer neck in a little bit people soon get ****** off with i;m the big man attitude on here and in life.

It wasnt 20k,

It was 15k a season, and it was rooks and jackdores, townies and a smattering of woodies since you insist on numbers.

John quilliam is the man i used to book all my heads in with,

he is still alive and still at the range in santon, tell him i said hello.

Truth is i am jealous of you guys doing what i loved dearly, and is now physically beyond me, you boys are playing it real time and im on mental replays.

Dolphin you may be correct about crow behavior, i automatically say crow when i mean rook.

and i assure you they will not land infront, not in close order, not in another ones space.

Wish you guys cudda seen the volume of Rs AND Js here then.

and you could count on one hand the people who decoyed rook

mind you there were 40k less people here then aswell.

And i swear on my grand kids sight i had gotten over the missing of my sport until i tripped over you lot, looking for the video red letter day on google,

Edited by manxman2