Wounded/Sick Roe - What would you do?

Frenchieboy

well pete you and only you could make the call you made as you were there we were not .i take my hat off to you for the manner in which you have handled this sad matter. there is nothing satisfying about shooting an injured or sick animal just the knowledge that you have stopped it suffering

atb andy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frenchie - you did the right thing - well done.

I think we need to clear something up here, and that is when you are allowed to use your firearms to shoot an injured deer.

This chap is correct:

Oh how I love reading all the experts moralising and giving their expert opinion on a subject they so obviously have no knowledge of.

Please read Redgums post #17 which sums up the law correctly with the one proviso posted by Apache at #18.

One's fac conditions overide (for want of a better word) the The Regulatory Reform (Deer) (England and Wales) Order 2007. Which is why those of us that put down deer and other sick and injured wild and domestic animals and wish to stay within the law have our fac's so conditioned.

You sir are not! A quote form the link provided on the first page of the thread "Where a Section 1 firearm is to be used for the humane dispatch of injured animals it is important that this is authorised by a condition written into the operator’s firearm certificate. If not, the use of the firearm for humane dispatch would be a criminal offence and may lead to a prosecution against the certificate holder and the revocation of the certificate."

No deer condition is required for Humane despatch of deer, you can even hit it over the head with a log if that will bring it's suffering to an end, this is precisely why the law was changed so that anyone walking past a deer with their .22lr (etc.) could end its suffering without fear of losing their FAC.

A condition of humane despatch of ANY deer is not required on any FAC or SGC! :angry:

Slaughtering, hunting etc is a different matter!

You can use any suitable calibre but you must have a condition for humane dispatch on your certificate, and not everybody does.

Deer Act 1991 (amended 2007)

6 (4) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4 (1) or (2) (using prohibited methods or firearms) when using any reasonable means for the purposes of killing any deer if he reasonably believes that the deer has been so seriously injured, otherwise than by his own unlawful act, or is in such condition, that to kill it is an act of mercy.

'any reasonable means' means any method of killing a deer that can reasonably be expected to result in rapid loss of consciousness and death and which is appropriate in all the circumstance (including in particular what the deer is doing, it's size, its distance from the closest position safely attainable by the person attempting to kill the deer and its position in relation to vegetative cover.

Frenchie - you did the right thing - well done.

I think we need to clear something up here, and that is when you are allowed to use your firearms to shoot an injured deer.

This chap is correct:

You sir are not! A quote form the link provided on the first page of the thread "Where a Section 1 firearm is to be used for the humane dispatch of injured animals it is important that this is authorised by a condition written into the operator’s firearm certificate. If not, the use of the firearm for humane dispatch would be a criminal offence and may lead to a prosecution against the certificate holder and the revocation of the certificate."

You can use any suitable calibre but you must have a condition for humane dispatch on your certificate, and not everybody does.

you are getting mixed up with farm animals, deer have an exemption.

Best tool is a shotgun after that a rimfire and then a centrefire depending how mobile the animal is and how close you can get. Farm animals in theory are different but if you do the deed in good faith and to prevent suffering then i'm sure the Chief of police will forgive you. That is of course if he ever finds out personally I've never had conditions checked or know anyone else who has. As ever if you're bothered use a shotgun and all is rosy and legal

Guys! Please! This seems to be turning into a bit of an argumentative thread now which is the last thing that I would have wanted. Believe me, if I had known this thread was going to end this way I never would have started it!First of all thanks to everyone that offered advice and agreed with the actions that I took. At the end of the day it was my call and I did what I thought right!

The long and the short of it was that I was put in a position where I had to make decisions, and not easy ones for me to make either! I did what I thought was right by standing back and observing and assessing the situation rather than making rash decisions. When there was a turn for the worse and I was not able to get my mate out straight away I made the call and decided to save tha animal any further or unecessary suffering myself. If anyone thinks that was wrong of me (or illegal) then I will be happy to face the consequences with a clear concience but let's not have all this arguing on open forum.

Edited by Frenchieboy

a difficult situation handled like a gent with full respect to the animal and nature. this thread should now be capped by a mod to stop the arguing on a thread opened to seek advice and guidance only. if anyone should want to continue the discussion maybe a new thread be started..??

Frenchieboy, putting your well handled situation aside don't be bother about this rattling on, I always am more satisfied if one of my threads goes over 40, it means others are finding this interesting. Hopefully a few animals will suffer less if this topic has educated a few. You will always have afew that will argue a topic when they are so obviously wrong but hey, thats what its all about eh.

Edited by Redgum

Just bear in mind when handling it there are some diseases deer can get that are a bit iffy and some that are notifiable so follow basic hygene precautions and best option is to bury an unwell beast

The carcass was recovered with the Gator and has been incinerated in a huge pile of wood and straw. (We chose this option to dispose of the carcass as we did not know what was wrong with the animal)

I can understand that you might not have known what was wrong with the deer (and why would you?), but as al4x has said deer can carry diseases which are (in his words) a bit iffy, and serious enough to be notifiable.

I don't know much about deer and what disease they carry, but would it not have been better to get a vet to check the carcass before incinerating it?

Just a thought.