Brown labrador

treetop

Hate to say it but I've never seen a good one, the ones I have seen have been fat, stupid and lazy (as above). I have heard there are one or two working lines out there and if you find one good luck, otherwise for a gundog I would stick to black or yellow.

I know a few chocolate labs, they do hunt biscuits well but otherwise generally they aren't the best bet. There was someone on here a while back who had a working strain that seemed ok but thats about all i've heard of. not seen one on a shooting field other than one dragging round a guns lady friend on a smart day. was verging on comical picked a bird and carried it half the day growling at anyone who tried to take it away :good: I believe they let the gun take that one home :good:

I know / seen a few in Scotland... & Cornwall..

but a bit far to travel

I was too late with some in Herts from good blood line ( apparently..) but parents & grand parents could be seen...

but like I say... I was a bit late...

I do know of a Lady who breeds for working & the Blind, but has none this year... and not til late next year..!!

I know there are sceptics out there about them,... but with a soft mouth & good training, its always possible..

thanks al.

Edited by treetop

Ged Leeson with KC affix Styleside qualified one for the retriever champs 09/10 I think. Don't have contact details but that's who I'd be talking if you're serious about a good working one. They're in Leicestershire I think.

Ged Leeson with KC affix Styleside qualified one for the retriever champs 09/10 I think. Don't have contact details but that's who I'd be talking if you're serious about a good working one. They're in Leicestershire I think.

and that is how good they are a scottish member has heard of a good one its only 300 miles away :good:

latest BASC mag...Wildfowling... Article by Mark Greenhough (has a Brown Lab).... see pic on page 45...

one in action...

in the grand scheme of things... there are less Brown in use, but that is also reflected of the amount in breeding... as there are thousands of Gold & blacks available all over the country..

a friend of myne has a choc lab it does the usual:

sit

stay

fetch (from water)

he happily sits in the hide allday, popping out after the odd runner

have used it to flush pheasants in a few small woods when walking with the gun, does what he wants of it but is by no means upto field trial spec

why do people say only yellow or black, i have seen a number of very good fox red labs and have borrowed my mums on occasion who seems to take to it very naturally!?

Fox red is genetically the same as yellow TJ91, there are only 3 colours of lab - black, yellow and chocolate.

I have only seen one decent chocolate lab in the field, but they do exist so if you want one treetop do your research and get one from proven stock, it won't be as easy as getting a black or yellow but it is possible. Mike Roberts at Miliscer Gundogs used to have one too, and he doesn't put up with junk in his kennels.

hi,

I am not after a field trail winner... I just want a dog to do the usual wildfowling stuff...

I have trained other dogs to do different work, but I wouldnt say I was any dog trainer...

I have found & contacted a lady who has dogs fit for the purpose, if not more than..

http://www.grangemead-labradors.co.uk/index.htm

but would still like to see others, before I choose

thanks ..

Edited by treetop

hi,

I am not after a field trail winner... I just want a dog to do the usual wildfowling stuff...

I have trained other dogs to do different work, but I wouldnt say I was any dog trainer...

I have found & contacted a lady who has dogs fit for the purpose, if not more than..

http://www.grangemead-labradors.co.uk/index.htm

but would still like to see others, before I choose

thanks ..

i would have a pedro look-a-like!

good luck with whatever you get!

a girl down the road trials one, dereity gundogs i think is her kennel name.charlotte smith is her name.

alot of chocolates are from show breeds but working strains throw them.does that mean if a FTCH sire's a litter and they're all chocolate the pup's will be useless?.don't think so it's just chocolate's are frowned upon so people stay away.

WGD,have you ever seen a silver lab?.when i was looking for a decent fox red i cae across someone selling them in the uk.never seen one though :blush:

WGD,have you ever seen a silver lab?.when i was looking for a decent fox red i cae across someone selling them in the uk.never seen one though :blush:

:lol::lol::lol: that's a new one on me mate, I've seen a few old black ones heading that way but that's about as close as I've got :lol::rolleyes: