cant get my silencer off my centrefire

Thumpersniper

Anyone any tips how to get a silencer off? Its a good silencer (not sure what make but one thats mentioned on here quite often, P8 or Wildcat or something) Anyway im turning as hard as i can with a friend holsing the butt and its not budging. I want to take it off as the lamp is glaring off it and cant see anything through the scope...

cheers

I have two suggestions.

1. Douse it liberally around where the screw cut is in wd40 or similar, leave riflr muzzle down over night.This will allow the penetrating oil to get into the threads. Then get friend to hold but and try again. If it still wont budge, use a strap spanner very carefully so as not to scratch it!

2. Get some dull black canvas type tape and tape it up, then no glare. However you should really be fairly regularly removing and cleaning it!

I have to ask the obvious but... you don`t take your moderator off your rifle every time you go out?? or is it a case of you tightened it on but have returned home to find it is overtightened? which one it is depends on the next move.

I dont take it off very often, and last had it off last winter, didnt use it much in the summer. Do people usually store them with the silencer off?

I dont take it off very often, and last had it off last winter, didnt use it much in the summer. Do people usually store them with the silencer off?

I get the impression most do...but I don't, however, mine gets a clean every use and then is stored Moderator attached and DOWN (centrefires)!

:good:

Pour hot water around the thread area. Bought my wildcat from northallerton shooting supplies and they said at the time if i had any difficulty in pulling it apart just soak it in hot water , had to do this last Sunday worked a treat.

If it is a P8 or T8 they are over barrel and the thread is some way in, if the moderator down and penetrating oil suggestion does not work heat may well. :good:

Also consider firm attenuation of the mod (hit it with a big hammer....CAREFULLY) this may break the seal.

Vice is also good, padded or wooden sleeves can help.

Bottom line is it has to come off sooner or later, better sooner now!

I fully remove mine for cleaning, but normally i just loosen off a couple of turn when putting the gun away, tighten before I go out again - as advised by the shop!

You live and you learn fella - good luck getting it off!

Ps - get a sunshade for your scope to stop glare, or a neopreme mod cover, dont like tape myself!

I store mine with the mod off, always have too! A mate didn't and his mod got stuck on, we did get it off but the rust had **** his crown up.

When you do get the mod off you could find the crown of your barrel is knackered!

Always take Mod off after use and clean spray a bit of WD40 down it,then put a protector over the barrel thread and back in the gun cabinet, as said leaving the Mod on can cause rust and problems, can't work people out, a good Mod cost around the £200 mark and the gun costs £££££££, look after your gear and it won't let you down B)

ive left it with oil over night, i dont think it will be rusted, I havent really got it wet and always clean before putting it away, but havent been taking the mod off. Yes its the over barrel type, I'L have to look for one of those strap spanners today I think, seeing as i dont use it all the time I'l definetley be removing the mod for storage once I get it off!

Cheers for the advice

ive left it with oil over night, i dont think it will be rusted, I havent really got it wet and always clean before putting it away, but havent been taking the mod off. Yes its the over barrel type, I'L have to look for one of those strap spanners today I think, seeing as i dont use it all the time I'l definetley be removing the mod for storage once I get it off!

Cheers for the advice

It doesn't need to have been wet for it to corrode. Acid and moisture is created in the mod as a result of the powder igniting. When the rifle is stored with the mod on in an upright position the acid drips back onto the crown and threads and eats away at your expensive barrel as well as fusing the threads. If you do get the mod off, you will more than likely need a recrown and maybe have to shorten the barrel to cut away the corroded section.

Wish all RFD's would tell their customers this.

When you get it off put a dab of copper grease on the threads before you re-atatch it, screw it on as tight as it will go then slack it off about an eighth of a turn.

The copper grease is a good job since it is specifically designed to stop the electrolytic corrosion between two metals.

EDIT - I should note that I never use it on moving parts like a hinge or cog. Just on

static components that you dont want seized.

Edited by Fishermanpaddy