Rose Hip Vodka

Beardo

Thought i'd try making something different....

500g rose hips (washed, topped and tailed)

750ml boiling water

150g caster sugar

500ml vodka (in a 700ml bottle)

muslin

Roughly chop (or use a hand blender as i did, but watch for flying seeds!) the rose hips.

Add to a large pan of 750ml boiling water, bring back to boil and hard boil for 5 mins.

Remove from heat and let stand for 30mins.

Use potato masher to mash the mixture then pour through double layer of muslin into a clean pan to filter.

(i then tied the muslin closed and gave it a good squeeze to get all the juices out)

Bring liquid back up to boil and reduce to a third (skimming/discarding any scum that floats to the top).

Add the sugar and stir til dissolved.

Allow to cool, then mix 50/50 with vodka and re-bottle.

Should give you 700ml bottle full - can be drunk immediately, but tastes smoother if left for a couple of days.

Colour will vary depending on what type of Rose hips you use - i had about 50% bright red ones, and 50% orangey.

IMG_2371.jpg

p.s. i didn't use Absolut to make it, far too nice - but the bottle looks better than Glen's Vodka!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vodka is probably the cleanest taste, so therefore you can taste the rosehips and not an underlying flavour (unlike gin which gives an undercurrent).

It may or may not work with gin/whisky - you'd have to try - easy to do though as you don't have to sit around for months maturing the flavour,

just make up a small batch.

• 9 months later...

For some unknown reason I always believed rose hips to be poisonous :blush:. After reading this I'll be giving it a go shortly, I just got to go pick the hips that I spotted earlier this morning. I also spotted alot of Haws (more than I can remember seeing this time last year) - which got me wondering if anyone has made hawthorne gin or similar and was it worth it?

Edited by paul99

Well my rosehip vodka is done :-). It didn't quite go entirely to plan / recipe - I found that I needed to add about three times as much water to be able to squeeze the juice from the boiled mash - without it it was more like a jam that thickened even more as it cooled - I'd still be there now trying to squeeze it through the muslin. Anyway after a bit of messing I eventually ended up with a likely looking syrup that went on to make the drink. Obviously I had to sample it straight away and was very surprised at the taste - not at all what I expected but certainly very pleasant - as already suggested butterscotch kind of describes it to some extent. I'm looking forward to trying it again in a few days. I wasn't nearly as impressed with a gin version though but I'm no fan of gin and the rosehips are not a strong enough flavour to mask it IMO, it's a good job I only mixed a shot glass sample to try. Thanks for the recipe and the suggestion to try it - this will make a nice alternative to sloe gin and blackberry brandy for this season...

Edited by paul99