mixing tyres

darren m

is it ok and safe to mix tyre size -- thinking larger or next size ( 265/275x70x16 ) up on back and put my 2 good back tyres ( 245 x70x16 ) on to the front.

reason -- i eventually want to put bigger tyres all round but the 2 rear ones are as new and cant afford a full set .. wonder if i could run it like this for a while ?

what do you think

cheers

ps . its on a LWB trooper by the way

you can only do it if you only use 4x4 when its really slippery otherwise it will wind up the diff badly, though personally I wouldn't bother with the bigger tyres simply because the cost ramps up severely, look at 245 75 16's they seem to be well priced

I tend to agree with al4x. Obviously you will will end up with more ground clearance with the larger tyres but if you are not having a problem at present then it does seems to be spending money you could use on cartridges :no:

I tend to agree with al4x. Obviously you will will end up with more ground clearance with the larger tyres but if you are not having a problem at present then it does seems to be spending money you could use on cartridges :no:

Your speedo will be reading lower by about 5% but the main issue here is you have to put the same size tyres on a 4x4 otherwise the smaller diameter tyres will be going round quicker than the others and this will cause the transmission to wind up under strain and either the half shafts or the diffs will break. I would even go as far as to say you should not only fit the same size but also the same manufacturer and tyre type to ensure the tyre's circumference is the same.

Hanks

I think we need someone in the tyre industry to answer here.

The tyre sizes the OP has quoted are only diferent on the width. The profile and rim size are the same. :yes:

I would see no problem with that. Although going wider is a waste IMO. :no:

Looking forward to a reply from some one in the know :good:

right i,m confused - which size is it that means the tyre hight , not width , my width is ok just wanted a little hight

cheers

ok keeping the profile the same and getting a wider tyre (the 265 figure) will raise the truck but also going up to a 75 profile with the original width will do the same,

with two tyres 265/70/16 and 245/75/16 there is next to no difference in height in your case just get 245/75/16 and you will gain a bit of ground clearance