Rotary Speed

AVB

Went out on Friday. Not ideal conditions, murky all day, very cold and no or only light breeze. Had two rotaries on the go, one with a speed controller and the other not. I set the speed to about 70%. Some birds were decoying in OK. However towards the end of the day the battery on the rotary without the speed controller was failing and the result was that the arms were hardly turning. Low and behold birds decoyed into to this rotary far more readily, ignoring the other that was still turning at a pace.

Was this a coincidence?

the result was that the arms were hardly turning

Low and behold birds decoyed into to this rotary far more readily

say no more. :blink: flat batterys from now on.

Are you going to run over them with your motor (flat battery)----OH...... never mind. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Stuart,

I don't think it will last any longer, because presumably a speed controller is still a simple variable resistor.

Juice still flows out of the battery at the same rate, ...I think..??

Anyway, after I translated Kirky's post back into English :blink: , I realised I agree 100% with him, a consistently fast spin speed works better than a slow one.

Cat.

Stuart,

I don't think it will last any longer, because presumably a speed controller is still a simple variable resistor.

Juice still flows out of the battery at the same rate, ...I think..??

Anyway, after I translated Kirky's post back into English :blink: , I realised I agree 100% with him, a consistently fast spin speed works better than a slow one.

Cat.

No

They are not a variable resistor. Have a look here. If you fancy having a go at making one

<PUlse Width Modulator>

Jonno

In my limited experience the best speed for a rotary for pigeon decoying is between 45 and 50 rpm. The best results I have had when decoying crows and rooks have been when the rotary has been turned down to between 10 and 15 rpm.

There are some days when the rotary works best at 0 rpm, ie left in the vehicle. The art is knowing when not to use one.