Jays

Pykie

Seems to be more and more Jays around me. I have tried the Acme Magpie call that supposed to attract both Magpie and Jay's in and they are not interested at all. I heard some good things about the U caller but not sure what calls it comes with a Google will sort that out. Lea

Not allowed to use electronic calls for Birds in The UK :no:

The put them on the call cards for photographic purposes only, people buy them who do allot of photography of these type of birds:good:

Not allowed to use electronic calls for Birds in The UK :no:

The put them on the call cards for photographic purposes only, people buy them who do allot of photography of these type of birds:good:

I don't have that much call to deal with birds (and I don't use calls anyway), but this is a new one to me, point me in the direction of this legislation for future reference.

Cheers! :good:

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Part 1 S.5 ss.1 part d.

(d) uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild bird, any sound recording or any live bird or other animal whatever which is tethered, or which is secured by means of braces or other similar appliances, or which is blind, maimed or injured; . . .

...he shall be guilty of an offence.

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Part 1 S.5 ss.1 part d.

(d) uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild bird, any sound recording or any live bird or other animal whatever which is tethered, or which is secured by means of braces or other similar appliances, or which is blind, maimed or injured; . . .

...he shall be guilty of an offence.

Thanks for this.

Interesting, but I'm still confused, plenty of decoys used and where does a Larsen fall in this?

..and you can use ANY call you like as long as its not recorded. :hmm::hmm::hmm: So you can call artificially but if you record yourself with that same call and play it back that is illegal?

Someone really didn't think this one out did they!

Cheers!

Thanks for this.

Interesting, but I'm still confused, plenty of decoys used and where does a Larsen fall in this?

..and you can use ANY call you like as long as its not recorded. :hmm::hmm::hmm: So you can call artificially but if you record yourself with that same call and play it back that is illegal?

Cheers!

What it is saying is that you cannot use as a decoy a sound recording; tethered, maimed, blinded or injured bird. As a bird in a larsen trap is healthy and not secured in this manner they are absolutely fine. Also, the act covers 'any sound recording' is does not define whether natural or manmade, therefore both would be prohibited.

Thanks for this.

Cheers!

Yes they did infact :lol: ...its quite specific. :yes:

Good luck with the Jays...they are ultra intelligent and ultra wary...you have to get up very early in the morning to catch them out of cover.

Yes they did infact :lol: ...its quite specific. :yes:

Good luck with the Jays...they are ultra intelligent and ultra wary...you have to get up very early in the morning to catch them out of cover.

Mike,have you any statistics on the Jays spread and numbers throughout the UK.I hadnt seen a Jay up here until maybe 10 years ago and now they are everywhere.Im presuming they are increasing quite dramatically.

Mike,have you any statistics on the Jays spread and numbers throughout the UK.I hadnt seen a Jay up here until maybe 10 years ago and now they are everywhere.Im presuming they are increasing quite dramatically.

Same here, up to 5 years ago they were very rare-now theres loads round here.

http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob15390.htm

Its mainly due to the policies of woodland maintenance and planting exercised by the forestry commission in light of the Forestry Stewardship Council regulations concerning responsibly sourced timber for the Construction industry over the last 30 years.

The jays biggest claim to fame is that its habit burying of acorns in the early ages developed the Oak woodlands of the South east and thereby provided timber for the Kindgs fleet...It werent for the humble jay we would probably not have conquered the world from the 1500's onwards.!