Old Grouse

jinxy72

Put it in an oven for about 5 hours until it is almost on fire then use it to clear the snow around your front step !

That in my opinion is the best use for an old grouse :lol:

Failing that use as much herbs as you can to disguise the taste of eating heather and cook it as you would a partridge.

Some don`t like the taste, however it can be casseroled if it is old and this will help tenderise it. If it is a young one then quickly roasted or use the breasts in a pie and the carcass to make the gravy.

Another tip, if the taste is likely to bother you, try soaking in milk overnight.

:good:

Some don`t like the taste, however it can be casseroled if it is old and this will help tenderise it. If it is a young one then quickly roasted or use the breasts in a pie and the carcass to make the gravy.

Another tip, if the taste is likely to bother you, try soaking in milk overnight.

:good:

cheers henry ... they are defo old (have been told so by the person sending them) .. i did think of soaking in milk and prob will do ... looking forward to it as aint tried grouse before so may soak 1 and not the other to see the differences ...but looks like both will be casseroled or pot-roasted

Hi jinxy:- I just googled "Recipe for old grouse" and got several on ,'The Moorland Associations ' site all authors seem to see nothing wrong in getting old grouse as long as they are prepared and cooked properly.

Blackpowder

cheers m8 ill take a look ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i got some grouse earlier in the season and just breasted them then chopped 1 onion and fried then added diced bacon and a clove of garlic them pan fried the breast on each side for a few minutes and had it with mash and carots with a bit of gravy and found it to be rather tasty!

• 5 weeks later...

just an update .... i ended up putting the grouse in some milk ( to reduce the heather taste )for a day (well from morning till afternoon) then casseroled the grouse with - thyme, rosemary , onion , carrot , red currant jelly , drop of wors sauce , chicken stock and a dash of whiskey ... oh and a bay leaf. browned off the grouse and the onion, added the whiskey and burnt off the alcohol, added the rest of the ingrediants and caserroled for 1.5hrs @ 180. i used enough stock to keep the grouse moist and covered during cooking. it was gorgeous and all the ingrediants worked well together ... it was the first ever grouse for me but defo not the last :good:

so when u next get a chance of trying an older bird , dont just dismiss it and give her a try :lol: :lol: