What ammo to use?

Kikkan

Just a simple question about ammo for pigonhunting.

What ammo is the best to use on pigons?

I heard that you can just as well use clayshooting ammo (24g) on pigons as they dont need that much of a "blast" to go down.

Then again, the speed of a huntingammo vs a Clayshooting ammo is faster.

And faster is better, aint it?

And what about the size? my guess is that a Nr.6 or 7 is probably the best?

Any tips? :thumbs:

PS. remember that lead is forbidden to use here in Norway. we can only use steel :lol:

Edited by Kikkan

have no clue really.

But i think its way to overkill to use a size 4-5 for a pigeon.

i mean you can take out a bear with that... well almost...

its recomended to use size 6 steel on grouse, and a pigeon cant handle as much as a grouse with heas winter feathers and stuff.

But in windy condisions, how much better is it to use a size...Lets say a size 5 over a size 7 ? Does the "swarm" move much in windy conditions at 20 meters?

Ive never had any problems with wind, especially at 20m... but thats with lead, steel doesnt have the momentum of lead but i shouldnt think it would be effected.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that the pattern spread is greater for steel shot over lead, probably to do with inertia, and to choke up to compensate for a given range. :rolleyes:

first of all if you use steel you can not choke more the 3star or 5/8 english standard . i have shot pigeons with 32g no 5 steel express and killed pigeons

clean up to 40 yards i use a beretta camo auto 12g and use teague chokes the

patterns they make can not be beaten by any factory choke believe me .

barrel 26 ins and i use the extended choke .when i use lead i shoot 6 32g and have taken pigeons even up to 50 yards with the same choke.

about trap cartridges the problem is that the steel or lead will be much harder and will not flatten on impact so when shoot on birds it will go right through leaving the birds to fly quite a distance before they die so you will be leaving a lot of birds behind you . i also like to use on decoys no 7 32g with a felt wad for the first shot if the birds are coming in to the 25 yard range they make quite a kill and the other 2 shots are then 5 32g . that is the best i have found so far how to work for pigeons.

i asked a similar question on here not so long ago and alot of you boys advised hb pigeon which are 6.5 32gr. I tried em out and have shot well with them since, 90% of shots are kills, very few injured, even out to 45yards. As for steel I've always been told that because the pellets aren't as dense they do not maintain velocity as well, as a result ive been advised to use larger pellet sizes, 4 or 5 or use higher velocity cartridges.

i read about some ammo to use on pigeons.

i says : "in general you should use small "pellets" when shooting in short distances (and early in the hunting season or over decoys) and use a bigger "pellet" when shooting further distances (and lait in the season and over flightlines)

Steel : US 4-6

Vismut US 6-7

Tungsten Matrix US 6-7

Heavi-shot US 6-8

PS. i use the word "pellets" as i dont know the english word for the "bullets" inside the shell.

i read about some ammo to use on pigeons.

i says : "in general you should use small "pellets" when shooting in short distances (and early in the hunting season or over decoys) and use a bigger "pellet" when shooting further distances (and lait in the season and over flightlines)

Steel : US 4-6

Vismut US 6-7

Tungsten Matrix US 6-7

Heavi-shot US 6-8

PS. i use the word "pellets" as i dont know the english word for the "bullets" inside the shell.

That information is about right regarding shot sizes.

We use the words "shot", or "pellets" to describe the "bullets" in cartridges. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, your English is a lot better than our Norwegian. :rolleyes:;):P

Guest konings

:D:D HI KIKKAN WELCOME ON THE FORUM,AND MY ANSER IS THAT I USE FOR

PIGEONSHOOTING ALSO STEEL AMMOS,FOR THE FIRST SHOT A 28 gr, NR 7 FROM GAMEBORE,AND THE SECOND SHOT I USE A 32gr, NR 5 OF GAMEBORE...

I USE A MAGNET AND SETTING AT 20 METERS OF MY HIDE,WAIT THAT THE PIGEON IS ON 15 A 20 METER AND THEN SHOOT.

GREETINGS FROM KONINGS,, FROM HOLLAND

MSN ADRESS FRANS_JOLANDA@HOTMAIL.COM AND BE WELCOME.. :);):D