What disolves Tru-Oil (But not varnish)?

poorpeet

I thought that the wood work on my Miroku was oiled. It looked a little patchy so I thought rubbing a little oil in would help restore it. Needless to say it took forever to go off and even now, 2 weeks later, it feels a little tacky.

I've tried waxing over it but it's not helped so how can a get rid of the layer Tru-Oil without damaging the original finish?

Tru-oil is a varnish :huh: thats a new one on me :huh:

Lifted from Birchwood Casey's site:

There is no better oil finish! Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish has been the professional’s choice for

gunstock finishing for more than 30 years. Its unique blend of linseed and other natural oils

dries fast, resists water damage and will not cloud, yellow or crack with age. Excellent as a

sealer for under butt plates, recoil pads and in inletted actions to prevent stock damage.

Ian.

Tru oil is not a varnish and does not go hard , to remove it without taking off the varnish beneath ( and any colour stain on the wood below the varnish) you need to use a non solvent based degreaser such as a citrus baseed hand cleaner.This is not going to be a quick job as the stuff is not designed to come off onece applied iven if applied to a varnished surface!

If you had any areas where the varnish was missing the tru oil will have soaked in and you will have quite some dificulty removing this - if this is the case you would be best to do as some one said earlier and 'bite the bullet' and strip and sand back to clean bare wood and do the oil job properly.

best of luck

If you choose to do it yourself there are some helpful threads on this site...the kits you can buy all do a good job

The main cost is time .... and the stock will not only look better for the work but your shooting average may improve by at least 38.5% ovenight.

good luck

there will always be a million answers to every question ?...But if it was my gun i would speak to andy tennant he is a gunmaker who lives very close to you in maidstone kent then you would be able to make up your mind which way to go, and at what cost...good luck