Foam Wing Pigeon decoy

firebrand

Im using the Foam Wing Pigeon decoys on my Rotary but Im finding that because each time I go out and set up I reinstall the decoy foam wings and tail the foam is tearing and soon I know I wont be able to use it.

I guess Im asking 2 questions here:

1) Am I using the best decoy for my Rotary? If not which one is better? or

2) Is there a way to set the decoy up so that the foam wings dont need taking out each time or what can I do to stop this?

(Im finding it particularly hard to set the Foam decoy up in this cold weather as the 'body' of the decoy is that cold its not so pliable as in the warmer weather)

thanks

Mike

I've given up with foam deeks. They are useless on a floater and difficult to carry without damaging them. If you can't use dead birds try these, I've used them for the last year on my rotary......

!B+pUBiQEWk~$(KGrHqR,!hQEzd14BlPUBN!TF3P)7!~~0_12.JPG

They come with two means of support that can be detached. You'll need to drill a small hole in the rump to fit on the rotary's spike and the rubber feet grip the cross bar to keep it level. The wings detach for easy carrying and flap to a degree in the wind. Last week I forgot my speed controller and so left them motionless on the rotary at the headof my pattern. Half an hour later a sparrowhawk tried to take one off so they must be realistic.

Type 'Sportplast' into a well known auction site and have a look.

Half an hour later a sparrowhawk tried to take one off so they must be realistic

but do they bring in pigeons ???????????????

Nothing guarantees pigeons but I start with these and rarely chenge to dead birds, preferring to mount them on floaters and angels. If there is any wind the one coming into the wind lifts its wings momentarily adding extra movement. I would recommend them. :good:

Thank you.Some ideas there I shall look at.

Can I just add that I'm an impatient shooter--I dont want to wait for ages over static decoys alone for birds to come in hence why I want my rotor up and running at the start--I really believe the movement helps no end.

I feel that fresh 'real' birds are better but that was no good to start with as I would have none so i tried taking frozen birds with me but that didnt really work and thats why I went to these foam winged pigeons.(Im not convinced about them yet either)

My problem is 'I want movement in my pattern from the start,when I get it right my rotary is a godsend so I need something I can use at the outset?'

I shall look at the Sportplast (Thanks)any other suggestions?

mike

Nothing guarantees pigeons but I start with these and rarely chenge to dead birds, preferring to mount them on floaters and angels. If there is any wind the one coming into the wind lifts its wings momentarily adding extra movement. I would recommend them. :good:

Totally disagree as i have also used them they do look the part on bouncers faceing into the wind and do bring young birds over at the strt of the season but at this time of year wise pigeons wont even look at them

I tried them on bouncers but struggled to mount them properly. I only use them on the rotary using the feet to anchor them and so allowing the wings to flap. And as stated I find them OK to the point that I don't bother changing them for dead birds. It might be that we use rotaries in different ways. I tend to put mine out away from the pattern purely to get the attention of passing pigeons. I rely on the shells, floaters and angels to inspire confidence to land or at least inspect the pattern. I only bring the rotary into the pattern if pigeons start landing around it.

I have hypaflaps with 3d heads,i think they are excellent,lots of movement,I often catch them in my side vision and start to stand to shoot.thay are quite sturdy too.

Thanks Retro and others for your suggestions and Tips.

Have ordered Hypaflaps and some Bouncers so fingers crossed my 'Pattern' will improve and bring in more pigeons.

I too use Hyperflaps, I've tried foam wing before these and they don't compare in my opinion.

Depending how the birds are reacting I sometimes leave them on for the day, but the truth is as good as these are, nothing is better than a dead bird on the rotary.

Hyperflaps are also easy to transport and a lot more robust than they first seem

• 2 weeks later...

I have hypaflaps with 3d heads,i think they are excellent,lots of movement,I often catch them in my side vision and start to stand to shoot.thay are quite sturdy too.

+1 on this many times i have nearly shot my hypaflaps they are so realistic.

jake

• 4 weeks later...