Squeemish

Slipster

Hey you’re not alone! :/

I approached this the way I do about new things that may worry me I just decide I'm going to do it! Then don’t give myself the time to worry bout it! :look:

I went out shot a Rabbit brought it home and waved it at Mother as she's always done mine and said I need to be doing this myself so don't do this one without me! (See my recent thread: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=16999)

Then the following day with Mother reading the instructions she followed and her selection of knives I got stuck in! (I soon gave up and got my own knife!) I found as soon as I'd made the first cut and started seeing the insides that the intrigue of what was inside took over. :/

Choose your knife carefully before you start I found a 3" blade with a sharp point was all I needed to cut through everything, couldn't get mother knife to pierce the skin! needs to be good n' sharp!

You maybe like my Mother, she couldn't think about eating for some time after gutting / skinning it, so just pop it in the freezer and leave it for a while.

Best of luck. :D

Think of it like this, what's the best killing it and dumping it in the hedge or somehow making use of it as in eating it. I can't imagine anyone (except sickos) who like sticking their hand in somethings innards and i've now progressed to using disposable gloves.

As with anything practise makes perfect and it will come as second nature.

Guys I have loved the replys from my original thread some good some excellent and some Er well lets not talk about them, I have know Eaten my Rabbit stew and pigeon breast, It was not easy but you guys on here have helped me to prepare and eat what i have taken from my "vermin control"

Many thanx once again for all your support

Slipster

• 1 year later...
I thought it worth the question because i bet im not alone!!

My problem is :- I love to hunt and shoot ??? but when it comes to skinning Plucking and gutting I just cant bring myself to do it ??? Dont get me wrong if things have to be disposed of humanely im the first in the que ??? but its the thought of little bunny running around then the next thing he's on your plate.

Any tips would be greatly recd.

1 the answer is quite simple.

2 sit down slippers on & chill.

3 get couple of beers.

4 call the wife to where she belongs.

in the kitchen.

5 if you hav'nt got a wife.

6 call mommy

???:stupid::lol:

Admittedly preparing isn't as much fun as getting it, however i found the best way to deal with it early on was to get your hands dirty straight off, go at it with some gusto, don't faff about. Once your hands are covered in blood etc whats the worse that could happen (except cut yourself with the knife :stupid: )

If you really can't face it a cheats way is to freeze them whole and then gut them; that way if you split the innards they won't leak and as it's less squishy it's less gross, once you get used to it it becomes easier.

cheat's skinning; once gutted but before defrosted cover in half inch of clay (making sure it binds into the fur) and wrap in foil. When required oven bake or simply sling into the bonfire and it cooks a treat, when you crack the clay it peels the fur off for you. :lol:

I heard this also works for Hedgehogs but never fancied trying it :stupid:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

last week i asked about skinning and eating frozen rabbit.

unanimously told don`t do it.!

after skinning one just to see why, i saw why.

do it fresh and fast.

i started on my first skin wearing latex gloves, by the time i`d finnished they had split anyway.

lemon juice is great for getting rid of smells, as are the stainless steel things your mum might have.

look through this site at the photo`s and films people have posted. they will help !

good luck, you`ll be fine. :good:

• 3 weeks later...
I've never shot anything let alone gutted! i'm lookin forward to it though (sounds a bit sadistic :hmm: ) like the rest say after a few times it gets easier + then u can do it quicker, i just imagine doin it whilst walking oneday, thats my goal.

Tried it! Got in my boots and everything. :good:

Just do it quick and methodically. It should take no more than 30 secs to gut, and you only have to hook out stomach and pinch out the poo-tube, so it's not that bloody. My 12 year old daughter skins them for me (and plucks and cuts out breasts from pigeons) and can do that in less than 2 mins.

Just don't take too much notice of the details. It really does help if there's 2 of you doing it and chatting at the same time.

• 5 months later...

AHH eventually the missing link

Firstly for us to eat, something has to die .

secondly because society is so used to buying their meat from the local supermarket people have lost the ability and understanding of what it takes to prepare meat before eating it . This is the missing link.

I can understand feeling sick because of all the guts and stuff i get that sometimes but remember that if you are not prepared to eat what you have killed then you need to re train your mind to do this.

there are two ways to do this

1 go hungry i mean really hungry and then see if you are able to do it .

2 get a kill of your friend and see if it is the fact that you took it's life .

in either case remember the un deniable truth animals vegetables are all living things and for us to survive, we or someone needs to kill them before we eat them. so feeling hungry means something needs to die.

This is not cruel as long as the animal is clean killed and at least you know you killed it and it was wild and free when you did and it died so you can eat.

there is no wrong in that .... thats nature it's part of the food chain,, and guess what humans are in that chain as a food too

Best of luck Funky