Suzuki Samurai

sandspider

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of / opinions on the Suzuki Samurai (the 1.3l version). I'm vaguely considering one as a second car (bit of off roading, carrying wood and dirty stuff etc). From a bit of research on the internet I understand them to be cheap to buy, insure and look after, relatively good on fuel, so so on road, good off road, reliable, noisy, slow, smallish inside... Is this about right? Presumably if I can get one for £1,000 or so that's a good 4x4 for the money?

Thanks. :yp:

We had a B reg SJ413 for a few years back in the 80s as a 2nd car, and I think it was the forerunner of the Samurai. It was good fun, had freewheeling hubs which had to be manually engaged before hitting the mud. From what I recall it didn't cost a penny to run other than normal servicing. I permanently removed the rear seats as there's only the two of us to give some useful carrying capacity. It served us well and your comments just about sum it up.

For me if I didnt need a large 4x4 eg defender for towing capacity etc I would go for a small suzuki.

Why cheap to run easy to work on they do nearly as little damage to the ground as a quad bike.

Landy are great pull like no other 4x4 but they sure make a huge mess of the ground.

Cheers OTH PS £1000 is on the steep side unless its mint.

Lots of people swear by them because they are so light and agile. If I didnt need a bit of carrying capacity and needed something to scoot around the farm without turning it into the Somme, one of the smaller Suzukis would be very high on my list.

Lots of people swear by them because they are so light and agile. If I didnt need a bit of carrying capacity and needed something to scoot around the farm without turning it into the Somme, one of the smaller Suzukis would be very high on my list.

I rate them as the best commercially made 4x4 (in terms of off road ability) by a very long way but of course that means a trade off in the road performance - which really isn't great. If we didn't use the fourtrak for towing I'd be looking for a SJ410 myself

Edited by paul99

I loved my sj410. Sold it last year after five years of great service - starting to think i should have kept it.I never got it stuck and i spent sod all maintaining it. I've bought a surf now, so i can take the kids shooting (had back seats of sj removed). I'd recommend a suzuki, even though they aren't the best on tarmac.