Walk round yesterday

Dustem Dave

ME and my mate decided to shoot our flight pond yesterday as we ain't shot it since end of Novenber due to weather.

seeing as i got there early thought we'd have a walk round first,walked a bit of hedge up to farm yard with my two springers but no joy,so unloaded guns and walked out through back of yard to walk up either side of a thick hedge leading to a small spinney as mike crossed through gate (both guns still unloaded)i saw my young bitch go on point (NOT that she points for long 0.05 seconds) i said quick there's something there i crammed 2 shells in the 682 with that 4 pheasants broke 2 either side i managed a left and right mike was stood there with a still empty gun and a frown.

any way continued on up hedge dogs flushed a hen pheasant which i killed 2nd barrel,nothing then till we got to spinney where a hen broke mike's side 2 barrels 2 misses.Did a few more hedges but nothing, came to a nice rough bank where dogs flushed 4 partridge killed 1 each. saw 2 pheasants which both went forward unshot at,came towards end of bank a nice cock bird went forward but then curled back over me which i killed first barrel,followed by by a hen which broke mike's side and he killed first barrel did few more bramble patches one hen broke out but flew straight towards the farmhouse so left that one.

went over other side of farm then, towards pond,we don't normally shoot the ducks going off the pond in case they come back later but mike peeped over the rushes and said there was only 4 on there so we surrounded the pond ( 2 of us) anyway as i made my way to front of pond a single drake mallard broke out a simple 25 yard crosser which i missed with that there was an almightey whirr of wings as probabley 80 ducks mainley teal lifted we managed 1 each( They'd been sat right under the rushes when mike looked over )

we then positioned ourselves 30 yards apart with the wind in our faces not ideal but can't shoot the other way because you can't see them against dark mountain.,

looked at my watch it was twenty to five when i heard frrrr as 4 widgeon came in from behind us, a quick snap shot by me killed the first one causing the others to flare i killed my second one and then watched mike kill the other pair.Then in came 2 mallard mike killed both,quickley followed by 3 mallard 2 clean misses by me,single teal to me then single teal to mike we finihed up with 4 mallard 6 widgeon and 4 teal 5 pheasants 2 partridge so not bad for a few hours dropped a few in for the farmer to keep him happy.i,ll try and post some photo's if i can (BIT THICK)

post-26003-0-80201900-1294602902.jpg

post-26003-0-89800200-1294603377.jpg

Edited by Dustem Dave

very jealous, sounds like a great day. Hope theyre as good eating as they were sport.

Yes superp eating made a game pie with the pheasant,partridge,and mallard,roasted the wigeon and teal,i must say out of all the ducks teal are my favorite get some strange looks in work mind, when i'm sat there eating them whole,bit like eating an apple.