Cartridge Price Rip off

Are we being ripped off by the cartridge manufacturers or not?

Just been looking at cartridge prices, if you buy 1000 28gram fibre wad clay cartridges they will cost you about £165.

If you buy 1000 28gram fibre wad Game cartridges they will cost you about £220 to £245. Why?

Is it not time that we boycotted the obvious rip off suppliers?

How come that you can get cartridges from Cyprus & Italy cheaper than those made in Hull?

Just been looking at cartridge prices, if you buy 1000 28gram fibre wad clay cartridges they will cost you about £165.

If you buy 1000 28gram fibre wad Game cartridges they will cost you about £220 to £245. Why?

How come that you can get cartridges from Cyprus & Italy cheaper than those made in Hull?

Its because they market the game shells at the toffs who have loadsamoney and the clay shells at the clay oiks who have none :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I havent a clue either, same amount of lead, plastic, metal etc and 40 to 60 quid dearer :no: thats why I shall be shooting just carts csp fibre 6 1/2s for my decoying this summer, .1 of a mm smaller than a 6 shot is negligable in my book.

Fuzrat

Its because they market the game shells at the toffs who have loadsamoney and the clay shells at the clay oiks who have none :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I havent a clue either, same amount of lead, plastic, metal etc and 40 to 60 quid dearer :no: thats why I shall be shooting just carts csp fibre 6 1/2s for my decoying this summer, .1 of a mm smaller than a 6 shot is negligable in my book.

Fuzrat

Just noticed how their CSP cartridges just went up by far more than the VAT rise :yp:

I think the answer is that they shift a lot more clay cartridges and the market is a lot more competitive for them.

Cartridge manufacturers will argue that the volumes of clay loads exceed game loads by many times.

Lead prices have risen dramatically over the last 10 years as have steel and plastic, according to the ST lead has risen in price by over £400 a ton in the last six months alone. Cartridges form a fairly small part of the overall cost of the days shooting. At the end of the day buy the cartridges you like at a price you like, these days there are no poor cartridges about. But try a box of 25 first before committing to a big heap.

Personally I am currently using Eley having switched from Hull on price the last time I bought a pile about 3 years ago, i did post at the time that lead prices world wide were rising rapidly and will continue to climb and advised buying cartidges and bullets. I only shoot driven pheasants with a shotgun so don't use a vast amount, maybe 500 a year or so, I have enough to last another 2 years having bought 3000. But those lead prices are making me think I should go out and buy more.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Just paid £156.00 for eley firsts,28g fibre but we can also buy 250 only for £39.00 from our guy.

Guest cookoff013

i shoot clays with steel, £110 /k

lead is silly high.

5 years ago i got charged £80 for 250 fibre 1oz clay loads. never again.

-that calculates at 320 / 1000.

:blink:

Just paid £156.00 for eley firsts,28g fibre but we can also buy 250 only for £39.00 from our guy.

Clay Rascal , the chap we buy Eley Cartridges from has no overheads as he sells them from his house and selling Eley cartridges is the mainstay of his business, also he must sell an awful lot of fibre carts given all three shoots within 10 miles demand fibre wads.

I spend a lot of time driving from one end of kent to the other and work in south west london and surrey and have checked all the gunshops that i pass or nearly pass. I've concluded that no one is offering good quality fibre clay carts cheaper in end user quantities (1000 or less)in our area.(or outside our area if you add on delivery or the diesel for journeys i would not otherwise be making). The business of being able to buy by the slab at the thousand rate is particularly useful.

Back to salopians question - its all down to market forces.

A cartridge manufacturer will have costs related to manufacture, developement and sales

A cartridge manufacturer will make far more clay carts than anything else

while the costs for manufactureing a (28g)game cartridge rather than a clay cartridge are unlikely to be significantly more, the developement costs for the game cartridge will have to be shared between far fewer cartridges than its clay equivalent.

More people are going to purchase clay cartridges in larger volume (think of the shooting grounds buying 10K of carts in one go and when people buy in volume they want larger discounts!

How are they different :hmm:

As far as I was aware the only difference would be the antimony content and game carts have a lower content for better deformation on impact. Game and lower end clay shot would be 2% antimony with higher end clay shot up to 5%

P

That would mean game shot should be cheaper than high end clay shot but carts are about equal price

Fuzrat

Sorry if I have offended anyone by pointing out that we are being ripped off.

Even the moderators seem to be in league with the cartridge manufacturers as they have removed my post from the clayshooting section where more people buy more cartridges than game shooters and homeloaders.

Obviously you all earn far more than me and don't mind wasting your money by buying overpriced products.

Even the moderators seem to be in league with the cartridge manufacturers as they have removed my post from the clayshooting section where more people buy more cartridges than game shooters and homeloaders.

Obviously you all earn far more than me and don't mind wasting your money by buying overpriced products.

They've probably removed it because there is no point having identical threads running on the same forum at the same time.

Cartridges are expensive but no-one is forcing you to buy them.

Yeah, thats right, it was merged because the Express/Rio Mafia got to me first, rather than the sensible, rational, non mental reason sitsinhedges suggests.

I could always merge it with the other one you started about the same subject about a fortnight ago aswell if you like.

Are we being ripped off? I believe if you want to use a particular brand or type then you pay the money. If you justb want the cheapest then buy the cheapest.

In the late 80's I used 1000's upon 1000's of Baikal Records, I worked for the importer and got them at trade price but they were still about £60 per 1000. You can buy cheap cartridges now for around £130 so in reality they have only doubled in price in the last 25 years.

Show me anything else that has only doubled in price in that time? How much was a pint of milk or loaf of bread in the late 80's? Or how much was a gallon of petrol?

If you feel you are being ripped off then don't buy them, you can always take up a hobby that doesn't need money spent on it.

Are we being ripped off? I believe if you want to use a particular brand or type then you pay the money. If you justb want the cheapest then buy the cheapest.

In the late 80's I used 1000's upon 1000's of Baikal Records, I worked for the importer and got them at trade price but they were still about £60 per 1000. You can buy cheap cartridges now for around £130 so in reality they have only doubled in price in the last 25 years.

Show me anything else that has only doubled in price in that time? How much was a pint of milk or loaf of bread in the late 80's? Or how much was a gallon of petrol?

If you feel you are being ripped off then don't buy them, you can always take up a hobby that doesn't need money spent on it.

TRUE! Cartridges are CHEAPER! I was buying Grand Prix in 1962 at 75p a box of 25. I was earning £5.37 a week!

TRUE! Cartridges are CHEAPER! I was buying Grand Prix in 1962 at 75p a box of 25. I was earning £5.37 a week!

You must have been loaded then (pardon the pun) The first cartridges I ever bought were S & B practise and vermin control, 15/16 oz of 6's if I remember correctly. £2.15 a box but our local bike shop sold them for 10p each, we use to buy half a dozen at a time.

He also sold airgun pellets for 5p for 10.

And yes before you ask you could also get woodbines or senior service from him as well