does anyone know how much insurance would pay out for accidentally sho

spartan80

Evening everyone

I was accidentally shot by someone i know. His dog was jumping around near him and he accidentally pulled the 2nd trigger on an old sbs 12b he was trying, the shot rebounded off the concrete floor, bounced up and hit me about 10feet away.

i had no6 pellets in my legs, forehead, earlobe, and forearm.

I had to have 2 operations to remove the pellets buried in my left hand (i am right handed). some of the others were near the surface and could be pulled out with tweezers, the rest will be staying in as they are too close to nerves etc so cant be moved and dont hurt so doctors said to leave them and they may emerge in a few years.

Luckily i only had a week off work and i feel fine now, obviously i had serious trauma at the time - another few inches one way and i could have been killed!

Now this happened about a year ago, i didnt pursue it with insurance as its a family friend. Now i'm thinking of getting some compensation for my injuries. I know he hasnt got any dedicated shooting insurance, but his home insurance has public liability insurance included which will probably cover this.

do you know anyone whos been shot in similar circumstances? how much compensation did they receive?

BTW it bloody hurts! i know what pigeons and crows feel like now!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are fine now, my rather harsh advice is be glad you have you life and your friendship. If you were unable to work it would be a very different story. What exactly do you want the compensation for? :no:

Yep! I agree. Too much claim culture in this country.

Guest topshot_2k

dont claim, you have got no lasting injures etc and we all have to pay for claims with our premiums. count yourself lucky and enjoy your shooting.

Yep! I agree. Too much claim culture in this country.

i assume you've never had a serious injury that wasnt your fault then?

whilst i totally agree that there is too much claim culture i.e. claiming for twisting your ankle on a paving slab that's an inch proud, or claiming for slipping on an icy pavement, in other circumstances where somebody is injured through absolutely no fault of their own then i think compensation would be fair.

i was innocent bystander, i felt like i had been run over by a lorry, woke up to see trousers soaked red and blood squirting from various 'holes' in my body. i was in hospital for 2 days, then i had a further operation under general anaesthetic a month later to remove more pellets and lost the use of my hand for about a month.

i had time off work and serious stress. Imagine, if you will, the same thing happening to yourself.

at the time i let it pass as it was a friend of my dads. Now, a year later, having had time to peruse this, i think its only fair to have some compensation.

i would think the house insurance would not cover it.the cover proberly on covers injury on the property i.e. if a tile fell of your roof and hit someone.

no, the house insurance has public liabilty for any activity he engages in outside of the house e.g. opening an umbrella and poking someone in the eye in the street

dont claim, you have got no lasting injures etc and we all have to pay for claims with our premiums. count yourself lucky and enjoy your shooting.

i do enjoy my shooting, i have done for 15 years. i have always had insurance policies for shooting, house, car, etc

the 'pot' is quite sufficient, there arent that many public liability accidents per year (unlike car insurance claims for example).

the purpose of insurance is to compensate for incidents like this.

i find it hard to believe that you wouldnt claim if i accidentally shot you with my 12b and caused you the same injuries.

The problem I'm having at the moment, is I'm guessing you are a little short on cash, and you are looking for some extra (hence all the questions about deserving the money, and amounts) etc, rather than what compensation is ment to be; further to this point you are cashing it up on his insurance, rather than the person himself.

At the very least this will teach you a lesson for going out shooting without insurance.

Edited by Bleeh

Tradition says you can have his gun.

Your not the first to be shot on a shoot. You should of had his gun and I hope it was expensive.

this wasnt a syndicate shoot, just a few blokes on a farm after crows, interesting tradition though....shame it was just a cheap old baikal or similar!

just been thinking, if you were run over by a stranger in a car and had to have bits of metal removed from your body in 2 operations i'm sure you wouldnt think twice about claiming of their car insurance.

but now we're talking about shooting, a pastime we all enjoy, it's interesting how peoples reactions are "dont claim....too much compensation culture etc".

Guest topshot_2k

i do enjoy my shooting, i have done for 15 years. i have always had insurance policies for shooting, house, car, etc

the 'pot' is quite sufficient, there arent that many public liability accidents per year (unlike car insurance claims for example).

the purpose of insurance is to compensate for incidents like this.

i find it hard to believe that you wouldnt claim if i accidentally shot you with my 12b and caused you the same injuries.

If i suffered permanent injury or major loss of earnings through treatment for injuries etc then yes. If i had made a full recovery and could work, still shoot etc then no i wouldn't. Your post reads like your basing your decision to claim on how much you are likely to get out of it.

For the record i have been in car accident where i had valid grounds to claim but as i have no lasting injuries i never bothered.

Edited by topshot_2k

The problem I'm having at the moment, is I'm guessing you are a little short on cash, and you are looking for some extra (hence all the questions about deserving the money, and amounts) etc, rather than what compensation is ment to be; further to this point you are cashing it up on his insurance, rather than the person himself.

At the very least this will teach you a lesson for going out shooting without insurance.

this is incorrect on a few levels:

1. i'm not short of cash, not that i have to explain to anyone, full time job going very well thankyou

2. i am 'cashing it up' on his insurance as i happen to know he wouldnt be able to to pay anything himself - in fact, he has always suggested that i claim on his home insurance as he was feeling really guilty. i didnt at the time, but now i think differently as i look back upon it and i see these scars everytime i look in the mirror.

3. it wont 'teach me a lesson' as he did have insurance (as i said in my OP), it wasnt dedicated shooting insurance but he was relying on hos home policy instead (which does cover him.

perhaps i mis-worded my thread title, i am asking if anyone has any experience with this and what the typical compensation is.

why am i even explaining myself....i was shot, very nearly killed, had serious injuries from 10feet away, why shouldnt i be compensated? whether i am skint or not!! this is why we all pay for insurance, i hope i dont do it to someone else some da

Guest topshot_2k

this is incorrect on a few levels:

1. i'm not short of cash, not that i have to explain to anyone, full time job going very well thankyou

2. i am 'cashing it up' on his insurance as i happen to know he wouldnt be able to to pay anything himself - in fact, he has always suggested that i claim on his home insurance as he was feeling really guilty. i didnt at the time, but now i think differently as i look back upon it and i see these scars everytime i look in the mirror.

3. it wont 'teach me a lesson' as he did have insurance (as i said in my OP), it wasnt dedicated shooting insurance but he was relying on hos home policy instead (which does cover him.

perhaps i mis-worded my thread title, i am asking if anyone has any experience with this and what the typical compensation is.

why am i even explaining myself....i was shot, very nearly killed, had serious injuries from 10feet away, why shouldnt i be compensated? whether i am skint or not!! this is why we all pay for insurance, i hope i dont do it to someone else some da

why post on forum then? your mind is made up. Payout is dependant on too many variables to give a figure. With no permanent injuries etc it will be less

i would have thought that with nopermanent injuries it might be a couple of thou. unless you pretend that you have debilitating nightmares.

imo just let sleeping dogs lie. i broke my arm due to someones else's fault, i havent got full rotation back. could have put a claim in but i just chalked it up.

If you've been genuinly hurt then make a claim because afterall its what the insurance is there for.I bet there are a whole load of claims for power lines,buildings damage,pets/livestock etc every year so i dont think yours is going to create a snowball effect with premiums.

thanks for the fair point, i would just like to hear some ball park figures before i go to see my solicitor this week so i have a little 'research' with me.

i am NOT, i repeat NOT, a skint 'wheres there;s blame theres claim' type, i work full time, have a family + mortgage etc and i genuinely feel that its fair to be compensated.

unless this has happened to anyone else here then i dont think that some of these replies are valid, i didnt just trip over, or bang my head on a low ceiling, i was seriously injured by someone else's stupididty. Whys wasnt his safety on? hy was his gun pointing to me standing 10 feet away (stationary)? why was his finger anywhere near to the trigger? why wasnt his gun broken? lots of blame here lads,

Edited by spartan80