Trouble with hornady 58gr .243??

For the second time in as many nights I have body shot 2 foxes at 160 yards ish, have heard the satisfying " thump" but the foxes have survived, one bullet failed to expand and fox needed follo up shot and last nights fox after hitting the deck was nowhere to be seen! Anyone had similar problems? I must say it's been the first time I have had problems with this ammo in 6 months and 100 foxes.

I've only used V-Max in my 243.

They group far to well to try anything else. I've only had one runner with the 75's as Alex mentions above... although not really a runner, more a lie down and wriggle a bit :yp:

My load is 37grn of Varget behind the 75grn v-max with an inch high @ 100 yard zero.

that one was strange and the main reason for mentioning it is that it almost looked like the bullet had blown up on impact lots of surface damage to the shoulder but not a dead fox. I would guess yours has a lighter bullet going even faster so possibly a similar impact. Were they at a different range to usual by chance?

that one was strange and the main reason for mentioning it is that it almost looked like the bullet had blown up on impact lots of surface damage to the shoulder but not a dead fox. I would guess yours has a lighter bullet going even faster so possibly a similar impact. Were they at a different range to usual by chance?

one of mine was 260yards and the bullet just made a 10p sized hole and nothin else. enough to knock down but still alive. Last nights 160 yard fox was a bread and butter chest shot he hit the deck but vanished I made up for it with a beautiful head shot at wel over 200 yards on a 2nd fox an hour later on my other farm

one of mine was 260yards and the bullet just made a 10p sized hole and nothin else. enough to knock down but still alive. Last nights 160 yard fox was a bread and butter chest shot he hit the deck but vanished I made up for it with a beautiful head shot at wel over 200 yards on a 2nd fox an hour later on my other farm

not much consolation but it won't have gone far, any chance you could have missed it in cover or the likes. I've had ones like that and in daylight you find them easily

I had a couple with 20grain bullets from the HMR, my hound picked both just into cover stone dead they usually seem to stop as soon as they think they are safe and die there. Thats if they get that far I've also spent ages in summer stubble looking only to find the next day they were a lot further out than I thought

Wel fingers crossed I pick him 2moz. There was a ditch/ hedge 40 yards behind him so wil look there. It's amazing how they seem to shrink once dead. How do you find the 20gr? I've dropped a few with 17gr and have some 20's in the safe I was advised against using for fox due to lack of expansion but would prefere to hear from the field about them??

Yup don't use them, I shot 2 with them and ok picked both but on chest shot foxes they were passing through a little too easily and not doing enough damage. Whereas the Vmax I've had no issues with under penetration and the bullets don't tend to exit which puts a fair amount of energy into them

I use the 65gr Vmax in a lower capacity 6mm case, for the 243 I would think the 70gr would be ideal. You wont notice any difference much in drop/drift at reasonable ranges.

I have sometimes found hardly a mark on them but they always drop on the spot with a middle chest shot. No marks are usually the result of not hitting anything hard like a bone. Shot two big cubs one night, both at about 120 yards, first one practically lost the exit side front leg, the second which was front/quartering just had two small exit wounds in front of the rear leg. Both though dropped instantly.

A

Edited by Alycidon

I use the 65gr Vmax in a lower capacity 6mm case, for the 243 I would think the 70gr would be ideal. You wont notice any difference much in drop/drift at reasonable ranges.

I have sometimes found hardly a mark on them but they always drop on the spot with a middle chest shot. No marks are usually the result of not hitting anything hard like a bone. Shot two big cubs one night, both at about 120

yards, first one practically lost the exit side front leg, the

second which was front/quartering just had two small exit

wounds in front of the rear leg. Both though dropped

instantly.

Cheers for that, I'm going to start reloading over the next few months but seems a lot to take on board. I just hope my search for cost effective bullet perfection works out that way.!

A

been using the 58gr v-max in my .243 for a few years and never had one get up or needing a follow up shot, the load I use is fully prepped lapua brass federal match primers

45.5 gr of R15 and 58gr v-max sent at 3900 fps and groups into 3/8 at 100 yards and then I can change to the 87gr v-max and shoot to the same poi, the 58gr v-max are also

very good on crows blowing them into 5 or 6 pieces.you must have a bad batch of bullet heads.