Can't take it with you

Doc Holliday

Not sure if this has been "heads up" previously but on BBC2 last night at 9p.m. Series started last friday. It goes in to detail about wills and looks at different cases as to how those making the will propose to leave their estate and discuss what options are available to them. It also involves a meeting over dinner involving those whom will be beneficiaries. A very interesting and original programme headed by business guru Sir Gerry Robinson. Catch up with it on the i-player if you missed last nights programme.

Last week, the guy from one of the couples dropped his mate who he initially wanted as an executor in his will. Turns out the guy's mate pretty much openly admitted that he wouldn't carry out the wishes of his mate as laid out in his will. He had an issue with his mate's Mrs wanting to leave her share to the local cat's home which she is perfectly entitled to do. He just couldn't get his head around it, the muppet.

The whole cats home thing is worrying.

There's kids starving on the streets of this country and people want to give their money to a cats home when they check out. I just don't get it.

I wouldn't help anyone along this path and would do my best to get them to change their mind.

What about if it was your mate and his mrs wanted to leave everything to PETA. Would you help her? If she's into wasting her money she can go and see a solicitor and get them appointed as a professional trustee to carry out their wishes.

I don't see anything worrying about it at all - I have put a lot of hard work into what I have and feel I can leave it to whoever I like - I can assure you it certainly won't go to to help children - Cancer trust - The Blind and other such older person things will be my choice - and some to cats home.

Dave

Well, kids, cancer, salvation army, help the aged... the list before the cats home is long.

It may well be how you want to deal with your money, but if your mate doesn't feel the same way then why should he be a part of doing something which he fundamentally disagrees with.

What about a jewish bloke who is appointed the executor of a Will which wants to leave a large chunk to Hamas? :lol:

I like to think it's each to their own, especially if it's money they have accumulated through hard work and grafting. Surely it's their prerogative to leave it to whom they wish, regardless of others personal feelings on it? There may be starving children or old folk who can't run their heating in the winter or even an animal sanctuary in need of finacial aid to help rehome animals that bring a lot of pleasure to people or even to rehabilitate wildlife. It's down to the individual so long as they are of sound mind (no such thing as a mad cat lady who's sound of mind I hear you cry).

If the money they have has been inherited then I'd say yes, keep it in the family and pass it on as it had been to them.

If you are a true friend you would do exactly as they wish

If you are a true friend then you will talk about it and try and see their point of view, give your opinion and if they still didn't change their mind do as the wish. I would want my friends to tell me if they thought i was about to make a mistake not just sit quiet.

Dan

If someone wants to leave their money to a cats home or any legitemate orginisation thats upto them and i really dont think anyone has the right to critise because its not theirs.Provided it isnt being given to the real IRA or the taliban etc i dont see a problem.I dont like the RSPCA,but would never discourage anyone from leaving money to them because its their to do as they see fit.

Ah but, and for example, there's plenty in Southern Ireland who would have their own views about the IRA and who see them as freedom fighters. Shouldn't they be allowed the freedom of choice to which you refer? It's their money after all and how they spend it is up to them....

One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

I just don't get giving an estate to a cats home where there are some rather obvious charities that really ought to be considered in front of a cats home. I could understand an executor (mate or otherwise) not wishing to be a part of assisting an estate being passed to a cats home, Hamas, Peta, the BNP, The David Ike foundation, the Lib Dems etc etc

Ah but, and for example, there's plenty in Southern Ireland who would have their own views about the IRA and who see them as freedom fighters. Shouldn't they be allowed the freedom of choice to which you refer? It's their money after all and how they spend it is up to them....

One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

I just don't get giving an estate to a cats home where there are some rather obvious charities that really ought to be considered in front of a cats home. I could understand an executor (mate or otherwise) not wishing to be a part of assisting an estate being passed to a cats home, Hamas, Peta, the BNP, The David Ike foundation, the Lib Dems etc etc

But no matter how you look at it-the real IRA are a terrorist orginisation while the various cat charities are not.I must add though im not a cat person so no i dont have a secret affiliation with them!

Take my aunt for example.I was her exceutor and she died leaving a substantial amount of money to three charities-one of which name escapes me,but it was a very obscure and not well known.Family members were incredibly pi**ed off because they didnt get a bean let alone a penny,but i made sure it all went to the three charities of her choice.Im still regarded as the antichrist by certain uncles for not stopping it.Had she wanted to leave the lot to the Yugoslavian tiddlywinks org i would still have had no problem.

Imperfection

You are the perfect executer - that was her wish's and you carried them out as she wished -

Mungler get a grip -if you feel so bad about people not giving to someone else's kids sell up and donate it as you see fit. - don't expect the rest of us to do as you would do.

dave

But no matter how you look at it-the real IRA are a terrorist orginisation while the various cat charities are not.

Who says they are?

Were the French resistance a terrorist organisation? Only to the Nazi's, to everyone else they were freedom fighters.

Same thing goes for the IRA.

I dont get it either. Same goes for celebrity - win loads of money for a charity of your choice type shows. Most go for something like Cancer research, air ambulance, make a wish etc.. something that changes peoples lives for the better. Then you get some coming along and saying RSPCA. Do people honestly believe that the best use of that money (not that anyone stupid enough to choose the RSPCA would ever win anything) is to help a misguided business pay for its next sob story advert.

Edited by dunganick

Im selling up before i get off (fingers crossed) and spending the lot on a boat, sailing round the med and drinking lots of cheap vino. If Mrs MM wants top come along, she will be more than welcome. Im not leaving anything to anyone, as the kids are already taken care of. In my will, ill be leaving my personal effects to the good lady. If she wants my old undies, she can have em :lol: