Lincoln 20 bore questions

HDAV

I have been looking for a 20 bore to be used by my girlfriend and anyone else who wants to come shooting with me (clays) I would love a berreta 20 bore but dont have the funds. Have found a 20 bore 28" lincoln at a local dealer but unsure if its good value. The stock has a hard plastic plate and a few chips i would rather get a soft recoil pad fitted, my concern is the stock seems to have a hard lacquer type finish the action has a mark near the ejectors but bores are clean.

Anyone know how to date a lincoln or determine its spec? It has a barrel selector built into the safety and ejectors.

any help appreciated

You should be able to date it by the proof code in the small box. There is a link on PW.

Any help? http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/guns/398472/Lincoln_Fair_Elite_shotgun_review__.html

Thanks found a list here up to 2000 http://www.gun-data.com/italiandatecodes2_arms.html are they the same as Berretta? (wasnt sure if lincolns were UK or italian proofed.

My wife shoots a Lincoln Premier Gold and so do my 2

daughter in laws( all 20 bores ) its a very good value for money gun in my humble opinion ,and Fairs the manufacturers couldnt be more helpful. The Premier Basic hasnt got the Gold Pheasant motiff on the action ,but what the heck , still a nice gun . The L P G is a multi choke the other 2 are Quarter and half as they wanted to shoot steels for economy reasons hope this helps :rolleyes:

Thanks Webster I was hoping seller would have been back in touch by now... but they haven't still unsure what to do IIRC the gun is 3" chambered but not steel proof (but i think i can use light weight steel through open chokes (its a MC) for economy. No gold pheasants so i guess its a basic cant remeber if its gamescene or not now should have taken some pics...

I have owned 2 Lincoln 20's - the Premier and the Jubilee.

I sold the Jubilee about a year ago, it was a peach of a gun, but it just wasn't getting used.

There are pictures of both on here somewhere I will try and dig them out.

The barrel selector is on the safety and by default they are auto safety on.

Here you go.

Premier:

post-19-1139257689.jpg

Jubilee: [after having the straightshooter stock treatment]

P1010423.jpg

P1010424.jpg

The barrel selector is on the safety and by default they are auto safety on.

Thanks, the one i looked at had a selector in the safety with dots to mark the selected first barrel (1 top? 2 Bottom?) and was i think autosafety but was told that was easily sorted (whats the 3rd little bump like an extra firing pin/nipple for?)

1 is bottom barrel first

2 is top barrel first

Auto safety can be disabled by cutting the rod from the safety catch, you can remove it as the safety catch will just flop about.

I did both of mine, obviously if you have any doubts get a smith to do, a decent one won't charge much to do it.

The third bump is to set the top lever over when the action closes.

Ah i was hoping the rod could be disconnected and then re connected, as the gun will be used more by novice shooters is it a good idea to leave it as auto? My SxS has an auto safety but my O/U is manual

That Jubilee looks stunning did either of yours have the hard lacquer finish?

Edited by HDAV

I have been looking for a 20 bore to be used by my girlfriend and anyone else who wants to come shooting with me (clays) I would love a berreta 20 bore but dont have the funds. Have found a 20 bore 28" lincoln at a local dealer but unsure if its good value. The stock has a hard plastic plate and a few chips i would rather get a soft recoil pad fitted, my concern is the stock seems to have a hard lacquer type finish the action has a mark near the ejectors but bores are clean.

Anyone know how to date a lincoln or determine its spec? It has a barrel selector built into the safety and ejectors.

any help appreciated

I've got a Lincoln Premier Basic that the wife uses for clays occasionally, although i did take it to beaters day this year and did well with it. It has an almost hard plastic coating on the stock which sounds similar to what you describe and the hard butt plate. I'm sure mine has got BASIC engraved on the bottom of the action. The easy way to tell, is that the basic has, ironically, a very basic machine engraving and the finish on the action is quite dull, no gold anywhere! Partridge on one side and (i think, cant quite remember) woodcock on the other.

HTH

AB

Thanks sounds like the one I am considering, does yours say lincoln basic on the underside or just basic? seem to remember the engraving was basic.

TBH, i cant remember, i can have a look later though of you want. When i used it last, the one thing that took a bit of time to get used to was the amount you had to let the trigger come forward before you could fire the second barrel, much further and you have to do it much more conciously than i do on my Beretta 12b

Having said that, it's a great gun, nice and balanced and light enough to carry around all day on a walkabout. Accurate if you point it in the right place. Mine's got 29.5 inch barrels though and you mentioned 28, not that it should make a lot of difference.

AB

any help appreciated

i have a lincoln premier 20g and you can get the gel tec pad from a beretta game to fit on, you do not have to change any thing they are a nice light gun to use

i have a lincoln premier 20g and you can get the gel tec pad from a beretta game to fit on, you do not have to change any thing they are a nice light gun to use

Thanks for the tip if i go for it i'll be on the hunt for one of those!

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/Beretta-Recoil-Pads.html dont suppose you can tell me which one it is, hopefully gunsmith may have a second-hand one knocking about

Thanks for the tip if i go for it i'll be on the hunt for one of those!

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/Beretta-Recoil-Pads.html dont suppose you can tell me which one it is, hopefully gunsmith may have a second-hand one knocking about

Hi HDAV.you mentioned earlier in your post about being unable find steel proof (fleur de lis)on the gun .I had the same probs with my wifes gun .So sent a email to fairs with the serial no .Had prompt reply saying the symble was not stamped as a matter of course but only on request of the importer and that their guns over last 10 years were ok for steel providing no tighter than half choke and not heavy loads We all shoot Gamebore 24 grms 7s which do the job well and are the cheapest we can find hope this helps regards :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...