help,where to set up?

BaconBoy

need some help please

got permision for some fields today that were full of pigeons,the problem is where to set up,the birds were coming in from all sides.

the best place would be at one end of the field under some trees/bushes,but its a no go as its only about 20' down a bank near the pavement and a main road.

next would be on one side by a train line,the tracks are about 30' away(6/7' metal railings and a few bushes between me and the tracks)could i set my hide here legally,or am i too close to the tracks?

another option would be the opposite side of the field to the train track,but this has a farm track leading to two houses.this side would be ok because i could set up under the only tree on the field(one of the houses belongs to the farmers sister/niece so i dont think she would complain)i dont know who the other house belongs to.(can you legally shoot this close to a 'farm track' used by other people?)

the other end is a no go as it is right next to the 'unknown' house.

any ideas?

thanks

there is only you who can make that call mate of where to set up as long as your shots are safe and not peeing people off

get into them iv got 2 feilds i just cart shoot houses , dog walkers, main rd, at back no safe shots from any side .

so if farmer hassles me to shoot a few on them fields have few hrs with air rifle had 40 bags but not as much fun hope you

find a spot :good:

If i were you i'd set up in the open where the flightlines are. Too many people think putting a hide in the open scares pigeons away and you can only set up beside a hedge or bush. Pigeons are not scared of hides as they do not know what they are, and do not have the reasoning power to notice that a 'bush' has appeared that wasn't there before.Try it. I think you'll find that as long as your hide discipline is ok and you stay out of sight, that pigeons will probably fly right next to the hide.

If i were you i'd set up in the open where the flightlines are. Too many people think putting a hide in the open scares pigeons away and you can only set up beside a hedge or bush. Pigeons are not scared of hides as they do not know what they are, and do not have the reasoning power to notice that a 'bush' has appeared that wasn't there before.Try it. I think you'll find that as long as your hide discipline is ok and you stay out of sight, that pigeons will probably fly right next to the hide.

first you need to determin the fall out distance from in the middle of the field towards the house or access ways is safe if this is the case then i totally agree with motty but to pull it of you will need plenty of foliage round the top of the hide and then you should be ok if you keep hidden

legally you can sit right next to a road and shoot away from it,the only issue you will have is if you shoot something coming towards you,kill it and it goes into road and hits something,so long as you avoid that you can set up where you like.I,ve never set up a hide in the middle of a field,always think I won't be able to conceal myself enough.

you only need one person to complain if you're less than 50 feet from the centre of a carriageway and you're in for a lot of hassle as the law states "if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered".

some busybody complaining can easily argue they were interrupted, so best to stay 50 ft

you only need one person to complain if you're less than 50 feet from the centre of a carriageway and you're in for a lot of hassle as the law states "if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered".

some busybody complaining can easily argue they were interrupted, so best to stay 50 ft

before I write this we all know the police are less than interested in our rights and I'm going to get shot down by most people but I'm not bothered,

for example: Someone deciding to cross to the other side of the road to avoid a shooter is Not them being interupted,and I don't see why I should stay out of the way of the mis-informed.

If the police turned up I'd probably have my day stopped,but Id be worth it when i phone BASC and they support me,then educate the officer in the law,and i and BASC would then ask the police to have a word with said busybody and ask them to stop interfering in my rights.It would be worth it,and if it stopped me from renueing my licence, and I don't know how it would then back to BASC I'd go.

everyone bleats on about shooters rights being erroded,well stand up for yourself if you are in the right.

And I shot next to a Hedge today,with the main road 4 feet behind,decoys and rotary in full view for 3 hours till the rain got the better of me,unharrased.

I was going about my business of pest control on private land.

Edited by retromlc

i don't disagree - and on many occasions have tucked into a hedge with a road behind (generally quiet country lanes), but it's worth considering, at the very least, it'll ruin a good days shooting if the police get involved

Very fair point,I would be gutted if the police stopped a good day,but it wouldn't have been a good day as I wouldn't have been where the pigeons are,shame Police don't issue fixed penalty fines for deliberate intrusion of peoples right to do something and effectivaly knowingly wasting police time.

If thats where the birds wont to be by the side of the road and you think all is safe to do so setup there . ive setup a good few times near roads and had very little problems tho ive had the police out twice but as it was pest controll and i was shooting away from the road and away from houses and footpathes they had no problems . The 50 ft rule i use in some cases but if i think its safe to i will setup by the road or track or country lane just have to judge it for yourself on the day .

well that put me right didnt it

the ammount of times when i have sat in a hide watching pidgeons land near a minor road and i didnt move

it is certainly something to consider do we stay on the safe side or push our luck

I know you wouldn't push your luck,but if you shoot safe you are in the right,if I shoot backing onto a road i WILL NOT chance a shot,birds have to be in the kill zone,with no chance of momentum carring them over hedge,It can mean letting some comfy shots pass.But that's safe.