Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!&#33

NorfolkPoacher

For what it's worth, none of the S&B's or Swaro's that I've owned have ever lost zero after a "bump"

i've got a couple of Swarovski (4-12x50, 6-18x50 - did have a 6-24x50 which Al4x now owns ;) ) and an S&B 8x56 - as said none of them has ever needed rezeroing, and the one on my .17hmr gets a lot of abuse.

I don't really know..

I "guess" the Z6 is the newer model, but to be honest - it's a scope! providing it's got good glass, then features like IR and mag are much the same no matter what model it is.

You can compare tech specs if you so wish... http://www.swarovskioptik.com/en/products/rifle-scope_habicht-pv-pvi-2_6-24x50

The PVI-2 version, developed specially for fox-hunting and shooting at long distances, is fitted with the illuminated TDS-4l reticle.

I have heard lots of bad things about Nightforce, but never had one.

Had plenty of S&B and Swaro and never either heard or had a bad experience of either.

cheers mungler, i heard good through my RFD from customer feedback. but ive never heard a bad word against the top euro brands. i know in life you get what you pay for but im just trying to find how much more you get for what seems a lot more money!

hi all i have a nightforce 12-42-56 and a sworski 2.5.15/56 z6i and i preferre the z6i the night force is ok but i would say great for shooting at night but in daylight cross hairs are little to thin and job to see on sertin background and the retical has only one brightness where as the z6i it can be turned to wot ever suits you i think z6i is clearer than the night force

I'm going to stick up for Nightforce here! I have the 5.5-22x56. It's bombproof. If you want a scope to take a pasting, unless you S&B PMII or US Optics, Nightforce is where it's at.

The low light performance of mine is very good - comparing it to my Schmidt, they were neck and neck, both on 8x mag. I doubt it's as good as a Swaro, but it is good enough, and I would trust the Nightforce a lot more if there is heavy field work to do.

A great deal of the world's good F Class and F/TR shooters use a Nightforce scope, which says a lot. The only main drawback is they are very heavy!

When shooting at 1K I use 22 mag and it's pretty good, certainly nice and clear. Zeiss probably has it beaten though from looking at the game fair. On foxes you won't use it though. So much so I'd say get the 15x one as then your reticle is accurate at a real-world mag

Meopta are definitely good, but not in the same league. I had a Meopta 4-16x44 and my Nightforce. The Nightforce was clearer and brighter, though twice the price. There wasn't a lot in it though and the Meopta was definitely better value. They do fall down on adjustment range though, the Meopta's was poor, Nightforce is 100 MOA or thereabouts.

I have Ziess, Swaro Pecar and Nightforce so a fair selection. Each have their role, low light then Ziess, daytime long range/dialling then NSX with NP2DD. Swaro PVS is a jack of all trades, generally acceptable in all roles but does not excell in any. I am just buying another little Ziess same as the one I have, 15 years old, a very underated optic as its only a 36mm lens.

Horses for courses really, the Pecar is a good stalking scope, excellent optics but the ret is to heavy for small targets.

As someone else said have a good look through all of them then decide.

A

Edited by Alycidon

i have an old Zeiss Diatal Z 8x56 on my .22lr and it really isn't a patch in terms of light gathering or clarity in comparison to my S&B or Swaros.

I've recently looked down a Zeiss Duralyt and wasn't that impressed (either with light gathering, eye relief, plastic turret caps or the 1cm per click adjustment) - you need to move up the range to see the quality

Dave its an odd one but all you can do really is look through some, as ever lots of internet advice is based on what someone has or have heard rather than compared themselves. The nightforce is built sturdily but you pay the penalty on weight and size sadly other than that shooting show Gary mentioned its rare to be able to see many side by side as people don't stock much in the way of top end scopes. Might be worth seeing who near you has what and seeing if you can have a demo, one thing I can comment on is that though my rifles are treated like tools I've yet to bump a S&B or swaro hard enough to loose zero, there is an element you let them bump about but when its 2k plus of gear it does focus your mind to look after them a little :lol:

Dave its an odd one but all you can do really is look through some, as ever lots of internet advice is based on what someone has or have heard rather than compared themselves. The nightforce is built sturdily but you pay the penalty on weight and size sadly other than that shooting show Gary mentioned its rare to be able to see many side by side as people don't stock much in the way of top end scopes. Might be worth seeing who near you has what and seeing if you can have a demo, one thing I can comment on is that though my rifles are treated like tools I've yet to bump a S&B or swaro hard enough to loose zero, there is an element you let them bump about but when its 2k plus of gear it does focus your mind to look after them a little :lol:

haha cheers alex, yeah i think i will be a tad more careful with a top end scope then my cheaper stuff. my RFD can get anything to order but like you say he stocks little in the way of premium scopes on the shelf. if i can make it i will head up to the show. my mrs said to me last night i should get a cheaper middle of the road scope and a new rifle! for the budget!! the only swaro that i can realistically justify is z6 3-18x50 or pvi 6-24x50 but was hoping for a 56mm, not sure if the difference is that great though?? cheers. Dave

As the old saying goes...

I'd rather have a £200 rifle with a £800 scope on top, than a £800 rifle with a £200 scope.

You won't find a x56 lens... To be honest, I had an 8x56 swaro before the PVI-2, and I cannot see a difference at all, what I do know is that the scope now sits closer to the barrel with the 50mm objective lens.

Edited by garyb

haha cheers alex, yeah i think i will be a tad more careful with a top end scope then my cheaper stuff. my RFD can get anything to order but like you say he stocks little in the way of premium scopes on the shelf. if i can make it i will head up to the show. my mrs said to me last night i should get a cheaper middle of the road scope and a new rifle! for the budget!! the only swaro that i can realistically justify is z6 3-18x50 or pvi 6-24x50 but was hoping for a 56mm, not sure if the difference is that great though?? cheers. Dave

your only option of going cheaper is second hand and as they are built to last its not a bad option, my pv was £700, Mcleods is the place to try first though as he gets good reports from everyone that uses him.

Would you say they were comparable to the top makes Henry? Food for thought cheers. Dave

Meopta are definitely good, but not in the same league. I had a Meopta 4-16x44 and my Nightforce. The Nightforce was clearer and brighter, though twice the price. There wasn't a lot in it though and the Meopta was definitely better value. They do fall down on adjustment range though, the Meopta's was poor, Nightforce is 100 MOA or thereabouts.

Comparable, but not with all the bells and whistles. Excellent scope for stalking/foxing. However, long distance shooting...... well I`ve done OK at comps out to 400yds. This year we will be refining the homeloads and shooting at the correct distances for the stands, basically they aren`t all exact.

iirc 100 is shorter, 200 is longer, 300 spot on as is 400.

Edited by henry d