Hides

abadshot

I'm very new to pigeon shooting and need some advice on a hide, would you get one of those pop up ones or is camo netting and poles better or does it depend on location etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

I find netting and poles to be the most practical setup for shotgun shooting. You can adapt hide size & shape to give yourself adequate room to stand & shoot. Pop up hides in my experience restrict movement and I find are more suited to rifle shooting from a seated position.

Hope this is of some use.

Poles and nets for me everytime unless there is for once bales are left in the field for more than 5 mins. I have had some really good uses with the one described by John Batley as shown in his book nd no I am not on commision,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Popup hides sound great but I just do not get on with them as the restrict movement far too much.

As a newbie I was enticed into getting a pop up hide, quickly realised that they are much more limited. As said already nets and poles are much more versatile and they are set up just as quick as any pop up mechanism. Sold my pop up and never looked back since.

In addition to the poles and nets (In whatever combination you choose), It's very handy to keep a piece or two of folded-up netting (Clearview is very light and compact) and some paracord. This can be used as extra cover, tied between branches, etc, or draped over you, used as a roof if you're under hedgerows, etc.