New Landrover Project

straightshooter1

well guys have had some time on my hands and thought I needed a project and have allways fancied a proper landrover so a few weeks ago i went out and bought one :blush: well thats when the fun started payed well over the odds for what looked like a great bit of kit well first bit of advice never buy on of these in the dark and ******* down with rain it looked good in the pictures and it was an impulse buy :blush: it had a great description:Land Rover 3.5 V8 SD1 high comp (210bhp)

THOUSANDS SPENT

* 3.5 V8 SD1 210bhp

* 11 months MOT,

* 3" Lift Kit all round,

* Pro Comp shocks,

* Military axels,

* Millers Conversion plate (very expensive)

* Wide angle prop,

* Electronic ingnition,

* Machined fly wheel,

* New rad 110 V8,

* New Facit fuel pump,

* New wheel bearings,

* New water pump,

* New oil pump,

* New silicone HT leads,

* Fairy overdrive,

* Roll Bar,

* Adjustable Tow bar,

* Spots on roof (4 x massive ones),

* Rear spots,

* 90 wheel arches,

* Rebuilt Carbs,

* Snorkel (not connected),

* Metalic blue,

* A bar,

* Winch bumper,

* steering guard,

* Bucket seats,

* Cut out front wings for big wheels,

* Carpeted,

* Ally checker,

This land rover was built by a friend of mine who has spent £1000s on it. It did have for a short time a set of 36" wheels which he kept for his new pick up range rover. With the big wheels on it was one of the best looking landys around.

Please feel free to ask any further questions or would like to come and have a look call James **************** (don"t miss out first to see will buy)

see what i mean!

well as i was saying this is where the fun started decided to drive this thing back well 150 mile journey in one of these things is something that i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy :blink: luckily or not she started to overheat about an hour into the journey so i pulled into a service station on the M6 checked the rad and it was empty so I proceeded to fill it up well the new rad was anything but new it was leaking like nobodies business so there she would stay till the AA man came out and they did one hour later just to comfirm what I had told them on the phone so I had to wait another 30 mins for a recovery truck yipee i don't have to drive this thing all the way back well 4am and she was on my drive so I decided to give her a really good going over in the morning

this is where the story begins lol cant be bothered to type any more today will continue in the moring

Edited by straightshooter1

It'd wouldn't have been my first choice, far too many mods.

I spent an age finding one with an (albeit missing the last four years) full service history, unmolested (still had egr and cat fitted) with a sound chassis (again the rear x-member will need replacing sometime soon but I'd rather the rest of the chassis be sound and get an expert bodywork repair friend of mine to fit the new one rather than buy a bodged one). Even then I've had to spend another £1100 on getting all the niggly bits done, like brake discs and pads, handbrake cables, timing belt, full service, fuel lift pump, belt tensioner, exhaust, egr removal kit, drop-arm ball joint, fuel filler hose amongst other bits. There's probably another grand or so to spend on an uprated intercooler, new rad, rear x-member, fuel pump tweaks, windscreen seal...

You get the idea.

However, if you have the time, budget and the chassis is sound they're all repairable. All I can say is good luck!

Edited by mick miller

• 3 weeks later...

well guys have not had the time to add to this post working on various stocks and trying to fit this dam thing aswell lol well as i said before thought i would take a look at whats under the skin these things are great they are like mecano kits the only problem is where do you stop lol well i thought i would go all they way to the chassis got there in the end lots of surface rust and a couple of problems but nothing a good welder and a wire brush cant deal with :good:

001-19.jpg

002-15.jpg

then we cleaned it

0102-1.jpg

as you can see got most of the rust off

the next thing was to treat the rust then paint the chassis so i turned to this stuff called JENOLITE LIQUID great stuff you could actually see the rust transforming then it was time to caot the chassis so I used stone chip then a generouse coating tetrashultz

and here is the finnished product

493.jpg

489.jpg

491.jpg

493.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

well just thought i would post an update of how things are going in fact they are moving along very nicely we have fabricated a roll bar just waiting for it to come back from the shotblasters new seat box as the old one was way past its best and the final paint job has been finished also replaced all the lights just looks better here are some pictures

2011-06-24151302.jpg

2011-06-24151334.jpg

please explain for the numpties amongst us (me)

looking good by the way

shaun

He means the chequer plate, (the silver stuff) if it's alloy it'll just trap water behind it and help to rot the rear crossmember

Anyways, that doesn't look as bad as those dreadful arch flares :P

they also came with it the landy had 36" tyres on it before hence the reason for the arches and the lift the reason i didn't take them off is due to the fact that there will be some large rubber going back on which means they are required for the MOT :good: hence the reason the 3.5 sd1 engine has stayed in her

you have gay plate on the rear x member :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a landrover extra so that the MOT testers couldnt see that the RxM was falling off.

On a more serious note when are you going to put uncut front wings back on her? And the bumper?

You got parabolics?

Edited by ack-ack

• 1 month later...

well guys thanks for all the positive and negative comments :rolleyes:

well nearing completion now and just thought I would share some more photo's with you

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

and all the pics i have taken can be found here if your interested

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc303/sacha1969/Land%20Rover%20Series%203%2088%20Pickup/

as you can see the new project in the background has allready been purchased but I'll post a new thread on that even though it's allready under way