My new CZ455 HMR

adam f

Thanks to all off here who helped and advised on this purchase. In the end I went with what I wanted - hang the budget!

CZ455 Thumbhole Laminate Varmint 17HMR

Nikko Nighteater 6-24x56 LTX

Harris Ultralight Bipod

Had to go with high mounts as medium were just too tight - less than 1mm clearance - couldnt cycle the bolt.

Took it would today - had it zero'd after 10 shots - and a huge grin - boy is the HMR an awesome round! Ive zerod at 75 yards for now, but will move this out to 100 when I get more time.

DSC07460.JPG

Edited by adam f

I am pretty familier with some of the old BRNO's and the CZ452 models, but the 453 and 455 I have limited knowledge of.

A review of your 455 a little down the line wound be interesting! :good:

One question, did you buy it as a rifle or because it has the ability to change barrels in similar fashion to the quad?

Cheers.

Found this a while back to, some may find this comparison interesting/useful! :good:

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=32042.0

I went for it not because it was the new 455 action (this is the new action that is replacing the 452) but because I wanted the laminated thumbhole stock - Sportsman just happended to have it in the new action.

I cant ever see me swapping the barrels - too much hassle - I've got my eye out for a .22LR but not desperate, what what I'll be using it for the HMR will do 90% of what I need.

I will do a review once Ive put a few rounds through it. My initial impression; I LOVE the stock - very well finished, very pretty and very ergonomic - the hand fits in the thumbhole lovely. I have small / medium hands, those with hands like slabs of meat could find it a little tight?

The bolt is a little stiff, but Ive only put 15 rounds through it so far! I'm sure this will bed in. The trigger pull is quite heavy - but very crisp.

I'm still getting used to the HMR round - having shot a 22 air rifle for the past 12 months, I cant get used to looking for rabbits 100yds+ away and still cant get used to shooting them at that range!

I went for it not because it was the new 455 action (this is the new action that is replacing the 452) but because I wanted the laminated thumbhole stock - Sportsman just happended to have it in the new action.

I cant ever see me swapping the barrels - too much hassle - I've got my eye out for a .22LR but not desperate, what what I'll be using it for the HMR will do 90% of what I need.

I will do a review once Ive put a few rounds through it. My initial impression; I LOVE the stock - very well finished, very pretty and very ergonomic - the hand fits in the thumbhole lovely. I have small / medium hands, those with hands like slabs of meat could find it a little tight?

The bolt is a little stiff, but Ive only put 15 rounds through it so far! I'm sure this will bed in. The trigger pull is quite heavy - but very crisp.

I'm still getting used to the HMR round - having shot a 22 air rifle for the past 12 months, I cant get used to looking for rabbits 100yds+ away and still cant get used to shooting them at that range!

hi m8 i bought same gun but in .22lr yesterday not shoot it yet as the s""t weather but can't wait

It's a sweeeet stock. I have the same in the 452 flavour :good:

To be fair, for the sake of getting another barrel you might as well just get another in .22LR. While the barrel swapping is straightforward enough, having to swap barrels and rezero is no substitute to reaching into the cabinet for the right one ready to go.

Thanks to all off here who helped and advised on this purchase. In the end I went with what I wanted - hang the budget!

CZ455 Thumbhole Laminate Varmint 17HMR

Nikko Nighteater 6-24x56 LTX

Harris Ultralight Bipod

Had to go with high mounts as medium were just too tight - less than 1mm clearance - couldnt cycle the bolt.

Took it would today - had it zero'd after 10 shots - and a huge grin - boy is the HMR an awesome round! Ive zerod at 75 yards for now, but will move this out to 100 when I get more time.

DSC07460.JPG

Jealous :lol:

nice gun! i couldnt justify the thumbhole laminate at the time so went for the american varmint its a great piece of kit just looks a tad dull.

anyway nice choice!

I knew you'd give in and get the thumbhole! I love my CZ 455 thumbhole. Probably done about 75 rounds through mine now and had about 45 bunnies! ( had a bit of plinking at different ranges to get used to the HMR round! )

Shame about the high mounts! My bolt is close to my scope but has about 1-2mm clearance! But it's damn close!

Make sure you strip your moderator and clean it! Very dirty round!

I knew you'd give in and get the thumbhole! I love my CZ 455 thumbhole. Probably done about 75 rounds through mine now and had about 45 bunnies! ( had a bit of plinking at different ranges to get used to the HMR round! )

Shame about the high mounts! My bolt is close to my scope but has about 1-2mm clearance! But it's damn close!

Make sure you strip your moderator and clean it! Very dirty round!

silent kill do you have the shorter barrel varmint?

reason i ask is because the barrel is shorter so i have had the serious issue of my silencer soldering itself to the gun! comes of with brute force but not cool! cheap scirocco mod may be the reason tho

I've the 16" version yes!

The HMR is a viscious little round! I've got a Sirrocco proofed 1116 Mod.

The problem is not with the mod stuck to the barrel it's with te plastic internal s getting shredded ! The first two are steel the other 7-8 are plastic!

I strip mine down and it's filthy inside!

The problem is not with the mod stuck to the barrel it's with te plastic internal s getting shredded ! The first two are steel the other 7-8 are plastic!

Plastic! i'll have to strip my one down. considering complaining to edgar brothers. it started abt 5 months ago so i'd only had the silencer like 2 months. not on in my opinion

I spoke to Edgar brothers the other day, you can buy the stainless internals separately to replace the plastic ones. But the moderator was only £28 or something silly!

I may get a LEI of them to try that?

yeah i can see that makes sense to just buy the stainless parts instead of going through the hassle of gaurantees etc but i believe in fairness and there was no mention of plastic when i got mine.

LEI. heard anything about them? never seen one before

My early Sirocco welded it's insides together on my HMR, sent it back to Edgar Bros and they replaced it with the new version

I took it apart immediately to have a look but I've forgotten, I thing ALL the insides are metal/stainless now, it also weighs slightly more, but frankly I'm still not impressed, I have SAK on my .22lr and .22WMR and I'm going that way on the HMR sooner or later! :good:

Edited by Dekers