Setup for Centerpin Fishing

jmooney

Hi All,

I've recently learned about fishing with a centrepin setup and I want to give it a go. I'm not sure about what size and type of rod or reel to buy. This method is used a bit in the US but seems to be much more popular on your side of the pond. Are there rods made specifically for this or do you just use a long spinning rod? What length should I look for? I'd be using it for bream and trout mostly, fish in the 1 - 7 pound range. Any specific recommendations for rods and reels and maybe books would be appreciated as well. I don't mind order from the UK so suppliers in the UK are fine. Thanks for any info.

Best,

Jim

Type in to google, marco cortesi centrepin, I bought one recently for my first pin and it was only £30.

Its just the same as other models which are £60-£70. namely the tf gear pin.

anyway this pin spins for over a minute and a half, and the main way to test the quality of a pin is not to spin it, but to see how much weight it takes to start it spinning. the marco cortesi pin only takes 2 number 3 split shot to get it rolling.

If you dont get on with this method of fishing, it hasnt cost you the world!

Are you intending fishing a river or lake and how far do you intend to cast?

For river fishing a centrepin with an adjustable drag is useful to prevent over run and gives a smoother 'trot' than when controlling using your thumb. You can get good a old Trudex or similar off eBay for around £40. Providing that there is no wobble you can clean the spindle and bush and get them running really sweet.

Now for casting. Some people try to cast using the Wallis Cast and many make a hash of it especially with light float tackle. You can cast a couple of rod lengths quite easily by pulling line from the rod rings using several fingers. Rods with more rings lower down are easier to use for this type of casting. It might be possible to strip an old 12 or 13' float rod and re-ring it to get enough rings on the bottom section to help you cast using this method.

The rod needs to be quite stiff or tippy in action as it has to strike against the current and often quite a bit of line out when river fishing.

Hi All,

I've recently learned about fishing with a centrepin setup and I want to give it a go. I'm not sure about what size and type of rod or reel to buy. This method is used a bit in the US but seems to be much more popular on your side of the pond. Are there rods made specifically for this or do you just use a long spinning rod? What length should I look for? I'd be using it for bream and trout mostly, fish in the 1 - 7 pound range. Any specific recommendations for rods and reels and maybe books would be appreciated as well. I don't mind order from the UK so suppliers in the UK are fine. Thanks for any info.

Best,

Jim

Hi Jim, there must be tackle shops in PA that can help you out if not try tackle2u.com they will ship to the US. I think they have an ebay shop on ebay.com. send them a email and explain what you want

I assume you are fishing a creek rather than one of the big PA rivers im thinking of.? With a strong flow you will need a pretty meaty rod to land fish up to the 7lb bracket. Best rod for your use I suggest would be something akin to what we call an avon rod with a test curve of 1-1.5 lb. In strong creeks you wont have any trouble pulling line off the pin in fact you might need a sticky on your finger to stop it Burning :lol::lol:

If you get stuck send me a PM and I can sort some tackle out for you to suit at your price range and mail it to you.

Cheers.

Mike.

Hi Jim, there must be tackle shops in PA that can help you out if not try tackle2u.com they will ship to the US. I think they have an ebay shop on ebay.com. send them a email and explain what you wantI assume you are fishing a creek rather than one of the big PA rivers im thinking of.? With a strong flow you will need a pretty meaty rod to land fish up to the 7lb bracket. Best rod for your use I suggest would be something akin to what we call an avon rod with a test curve of 1-1.5 lb. In strong creeks you wont have any trouble pulling line off the pin in fact you might need a sticky on your finger to stop it Burning :lol::lol: If you get stuck send me a PM and I can sort some tackle out for you to suit at your price range and mail it to you.Cheers.Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike.

I'll be using it on either creeks or stillwater. I don't really fish the rivers any more. If I did I would probably build up a second kit for that. I actually live along the Delaware River but it's a very large river so the tackle we use there would be much stronger. I'm more of a small waters fisherman anyway. Interestingly centrepin is used in the US but mostly by the few who chase Steelhead in the midwest and northwest so not too much going on in my area.

Jim

So which of these three might be good for my all around small creek/still water setup?

JW Young and Sons 13ft Trotter Rod

JW Young and Sons 11ft Avon Quiver Rod

JW Young and Sons 13ft Specimen Float Rod

I've seen a couple of website mention the Trudex reels and I've found some on eBay that weren't too expensive. Are they worth a look or am I asking for trouble with them?

What about this reel? Grey's Berwick Centrepin Reel

Thanks again for all the help and advise!

Ok jmooney

I float fish all time time using centre pins, and have small collectoin of them from a original Rapidex to richard carter aerial. if you want to go for this method of fishing it is best to get the best that you can afford.

I would start with a Drennan 13/15 float rod which should meet most of your needs and with a new centre pin Maybe starting with youngs 3"Purist using 4lb main line and 2.5 hook lenght. Do not buy a second hand one unless you can see and try it out. it needs to spin freely for about 3mins with out touching it. Hope this helps and have fun

Sundodger