UK Gun Repairs, the best of the best!

tom_0787

Some of you may remember from my previous post that the barrels of my Browning 525 were dropped onto a granite floor during cleaning. The resulting damage was that the top right of the top barrel was bulged if you looked from the chokes down to the ejectors. From the face of the barrels it looked like a piece had been machined off.

Browning1.jpg

Browning2.jpg

I took the gun to Sportarm of Dorchester as this is where I bought it from. They told me there was nothing that could be done and that the only thing to do was replace the barrels. After a call to Browning I was informed that a set of barrels would be false economy as the gun would have to be diss-assembled and go back onto the production line so that a new set of barrels could be fitted. The cost £3K! Sportarm promptly offered me a new gun for £2k.

After talking to a few people and a bit of googling I came across UK Gun Repairs in Taunton. I have them a ring and spoke to Peter who assured me that if it was repairable they would be able to do it. He arranged for Dennis, one of the gunsmiths to give me a ring later on. I had a look on their website and discovered that Dennis is a master of the black art of gunfitting (something I had always wanted to look into. As I had always struggled to get a clear sight picture with any shotgun.

I was going to plymouth the following week so decided to take the gun up to them for an investigation/quote on route.

On arrival Dennis, Chris and I had a chat about what had happened and they assured me that after a repair and re-blacking the gun would be good as new. We then stepped outside to have a look at the gunfit. Dennis confirmed my thoughts that the Browning was too low in the combe for me (1/2" low!) which was why I was lifting my head when swinging the barrels. The cast also needed tweaking and the heel removing from the butt.

He told me the best way forward was an adjustable combe as I needed a lot adding. I was perfectly happy with this. Some people dont like the way they look but whats the point in a gun that doesnt fit you! Dennis had quite a good way of explaining gun fit- When you get in a car you adjust the seat for height and distance from the pedals. You also adjust the side and the rear view mirrors. Gun manufactures cannot build these adjustments into an off the peg shotgun, they have to try and appeal to everyone. You wouldnt drive round in a hire car with the seat in the wrong position, you taylor it to your needs.

So the work I had done-

- Repair barrels followed by a Best London re-black

- Alter cast of stock

- Fit adjustable comb riser

- Strip factory finish and oil stock (I asked Dennis to Darken it down by a couple of shades as the wood was very light)

- Remove heel from butt and add flatter recoil pad.

P1000903.jpg

P1000899.jpg

P1000896.jpg

P1000901.jpg

I cannot stress enought just how fantastic the service from these guys is. I had reqular emails to let me know what stage the repairs were at and there was never any pressure. These guys are not salesmen, they are craftsmen who enjoy their work. Another thing that is most certainly worth a mention is that if you take a gun into your local RFD for a repair and they send it away to be repaired you can be pretty certain that the guys at UK gun repairs will be the ones doing the work. If you do ever need work going on a gun give these guys a ring. I promise you that the service and workmanship is second to none. Oh and the part that will definately interest you, I saved 70% of the cost of a replacement 525 and ended up with one that fits me like a glove and is in mint condition.

Thanks, Tom, for your kind words, we do appreciate it. I guess we are lucky to have five old codgers that have spent far too many years at the bench, and after that number of years you kind of get lucky from time to time! Just pleased you are happy.

Don't forget to drop in when you are passing.

Best regards from all the boys and a personal than you from me.

Dennis

i agree with you tom, dennis and the the rest of the old crew.... woops did i say old :lol::lol: im joking dennis, if you read this. :good:. they are fantastic guys, they are absolute gents. i just need a loan to get me down to france... i mean somerset :lol::lol: so that i can meet them face to face. :good:

p.s i will probably have to finish my own stock now. :lol::good:

i have heard fantastic reports on these fellows... shame i live all the way in N.Ireland

i would rather pay the extra postage and get dennis and the crew to do the work at least you no it will get done properly. by true english professional gunsmiths. and end up with a fantastic job in the finish. :good:

Couldnt agree more, I spoke with a couple of them earlier about chokes, They ordered the one i wanted and sorted me out an excellent price!!! one that couldnt be beaten... What a great bunch oh geniune guys! Your gun looks beautiful, I've never seen anyone do that kind of work. I dont live that local but would pay for my gun to be sent to them and after seeing this work will be using them every time (hope I dont have too) so glad i've got their contact details.

Keep up the excellent work Dennis and gang its absoutly brilliant work!!

Edited by Beretta Italy

Can't wait to see my gun now that's with Dennis but agree if you find a good team then stick with them the postage cost less than having hodge jobs rectified

yes i agree with everything you say above as my stock is down there at the minute aswell :yes::good::good:

Edited by semiautolee

From the photos the repair looks great, like a new gun. And good for you for looking around and not taking the first words as gospel. If i ever need a repair on any of my guns i will certainly take a trip down to Plymouth i know the air is a bit thin that far down south but for quality we ya have to pay for it one way or tuther.

ATB

Birky :good:

From the photos the repair looks great, like a new gun. And good for you for looking around and not taking the first words as gospel. If i ever need a repair on any of my guns i will certainly take a trip down to Plymouth i know the air is a bit thin that far down south but for quality we ya have to pay for it one way or tuther.

ATB

Birky :good:

Dont have to go all the way to Plymouth, just south of Taunton is where you need to go! I had Dennis refurb the wood on my grandfathers SxS excellent job and looks much better than a cheap farmers gun (which it was/is) but with great sentimental value! IF you want your guns (expensive or not) treated with care and respect uk gunrepairs are the chaps to do the job!

Dont have to go all the way to Plymouth, just south of Taunton is where you need to go! I had Dennis refurb the wood on my grandfathers SxS excellent job and looks much better than a cheap farmers gun (which it was/is) but with great sentimental value! IF you want your guns (expensive or not) treated with care and respect #### are the chaps to do the job!

hdav is correct, i totally agree with him. top quality work from uk gun repairs :good::good::good::good:

A couple of you mentioned the cost of postage. Not only is the work these guys do top notch their prices are unbelievable. Remember that these guys are not going to charge you usual fees for RFD transfer if they are doing work for you.

I'll second that and they are nice to deal with my guns on route I'll get photos up soon. Wood by StraightShooter and Blueing by Dennis can't wait to use it just hope I don't shoot it loose.

i am after getting my hmr barrel shortened and semiautolee got me to give Dennis a ring and after speaking to him i know where i am going to get my job done,

but to save on post i am going to take a weeks holiday in Dorset drop it off on the way down and pick it up on the way back,

just hope the bass a feeding when i go down there lol

colin

That's very tidy work, your 525 looks excellent.

I've just had my cast & toe altered after a fitting session, not with UKG as I wasn't aware of them.

Have to say that of all the money I've spent on my shooting (clothes, boots, vest, welllies,slips, 4x4 etct etc) getting my gun "fitted" has been the best money spent.

My score's are up :good:

Godd luck :yes:

i am after getting my hmr barrel shortened and semiautolee got me to give Dennis a ring and after speaking to him i know where i am going to get my job done,

but to save on post i am going to take a weeks holiday in Dorset drop it off on the way down and pick it up on the way back,

just hope the bass a feeding when i go down there lol

colin

you wont go wrong with dennis, he is a great man,and good company when out shooting.