Fine Tuning an HW100

scuta

Hi,

Have noticed the post on John Blowkett blue printing. Does anyone know of anyone or anywhere where I can get the same type of thing done for an HW100? Have read about BTAS, however that seems like a total refit (& not cheap!) i am desperate to get what appears to be an expensive dog of a Friday afternoon gun sorted! (& yes I'm fed up of hearing that HW100's are infallible and it must be me!)

Cheers

I`ve spoken to a couple of places and they both said the same thing, the HW100s is pretty good as it is why mess with it.

Have to say I agree.

99.9% of them may well be perfect but if his has a problem and is inaccurate then why not get it looked at?

However, there are things to check before any expensive modifications are carried out, such as testing with many different pellets, checking everything is tight and clean, O rings not perished etc. If that doesn't improve accuracy then there may be a problem......or too much is being expected of the rifle.

Thanks for that. The rifle is 18 months old & has gone back to Hull twice for different faults, so am going to initially discount perished seals (would hope they might have picked up on them. I have checked the barrel - no movement at all & removed the o-ring from the barrel band so the barrel is free floating. I will list the pellets tried so far & see if anyone can recommend any other options.

Thanks for that. The rifle is 18 months old & has gone back to Hull twice for different faults, so am going to initially discount perished seals (would hope they might have picked up on them. I have checked the barrel - no movement at all & removed the o-ring from the barrel band so the barrel is free floating. I will list the pellets tried so far & see if anyone can recommend any other options.

try H&N field

Hi,

Have noticed the post on John Blowkett blue printing. Does anyone know of anyone or anywhere where I can get the same type of thing done for an HW100? Have read about BTAS, however that seems like a total refit (& not cheap!) i am desperate to get what appears to be an expensive dog of a Friday afternoon gun sorted! (& yes I'm fed up of hearing that HW100's are infallible and it must be me!)

Cheers

I have a Bar Custom HW100 - for many years

My Favorite Bench rifle - Try different Pellets

We have many @ Lea Valley in use -

Joys of a Club they try different pellets amongst each other

It does make a great Difference

Mine runs on Defiant 4.52's for Target Shooting

Exterminator 9.50's for Hunting

Defiant 15's for Rat's etc

We have several .22's running on Defiant 5.52's

At 14.00 grains they run faster and flatter than most other .22 pellets

BOB/R

Op's forgot

Mine was recently Serviced By Hull Cartridge - After Five years of Heavy Use :good:

Not aware of anyone capable of dealing with these as they are AT Fitted

BOB/R

If you don't mind me asking? How much does it cost to have a weihrauch posted too and serviced by hull cartridge? My 77k must be quite old now,(I am going to email hw and ask) and could more than likely do with a service :hmm:

Cheers! :good:

Edited by CZ452

Right, finally got around to some serious O.C.D inspired pellet testing!!!

Started by giving the barrel a light spring clean, by blasting a load of Swan filter tips through. Then fired off 56 pellets (4 x magazines) of a given brand/type to condition the barrel before shooting three, five pellet groups. Another light clean and repeat the process......all pellets were straight from the tin, any with obvious defects discarded.

Anyway, just for interest here are the measurements of the resulting groups, shot at 30yds, measured from edge to edge at the widest point.....

AA Diabolo Field - 30mm, 35mm, 35mm (worst by a long way)

JSB Exact - 25mm, 25mm, 20mm (lots of deformed pellets, although performed a lot better than I remembered)

H & N FTT - 27mm, 25mm, 23mm

Crosman Premier - 32mm, 37mm, 15mm

Daystate .22 - 12mm, 22mm, 18mm (lots of deformed pellets)

AccuPell - 15mm, 15mm, 20mm (10mm if one flyer discounted)

Wanted to test Defiants, but couldn't source them.

As you can see, AccuPells were head & shoulders above the rest, so wacked a full mag into an old piece of wood at 30yds. Didn't have a ruler with me, but all covered by a 5p piece (18mm give or take)

I stopped testing there, as I was getting ear ache from the missus by then!!

So, I take it all back - I am converted. Not the mythical 'pellet on pellet' but good enough for me. Just amazed at how pellet fussy these things are and the vast difference in performance of good pellets. Am p'd off that I didn't know about Accupells 18 months ago.

I just think it's a shame that having spent the wrong side of £700 on a rifle before you start adding scopes etc., you have to carry out ridiculous levels of research to get the best from it!!!!!

Edited by scuta

So, I take it all back - I am converted. Not the mythical 'pellet on pellet' but good enough for me. Just amazed at how pellet fussy these things are and the vast difference in performance of good pellets. Am p'd off that I didn't know about Accupells 18 months ago.

I just think it's a shame that having spent the wrong side of £700 on a rifle before you start adding scopes etc., you have to carry out ridiculous levels of research to get the best from it!!!!!

Thats all part of shooting :good: as i stated earlier its not worth the expence having it blue printed there are not many PCP that wont group well out of the box, if there is an accuracy problem its more than likely down to a poor barrel finish ie,a rough crown job.

Finding a pellet that shoots well is part and parcel of your rifle there ae no fast rules you just have to find one that suits.

Sounds like you have a good marriage there with your pellet rifle combo :good: happy bunny bashing

Cheers for that. Am itching to get out & use it now. Apart from the odd, close range squidgy, I haven't hunted because I couldn't guarantee 'one shot, one kill' A bit of a cheesy line, but my rule of thumb for hunting and one that I mutter under my breath before pulling the trigger. It slows me down & makes me think! I always got the fact that different pellets would perform differently, however bearing in mind the tolerances of modern manufacture & engineering, I never imagined that it would be that different!!

Thanks everyone for all your helpful tips & suggestions

Cheers,

Scuta