help have i got enough decoys

andie

hi all just purchased 2 flocked magpie decoys and 2 flocked crow decoys and i all ready have 4 pigeon decoys all my decoys are full bodied and i have just got a rotary the question i am asking is do i still need more decoys as im only just geting into decoying so still a novice any help would be great lads :good:

sorry about that im after those pesky pigeons

I use 30 with a mix of Essex springs, F/b and shells, 2 groups split to leave a path to the rotary that is out at 25/30yds, which is a nice sporting shot and the 1/2 choke giving a good pattern at that distance.

Much closer and you can take a landing net :lol:

Good luck

TEH

Get rid of the Magpie and Crow deeks and replace them with pigeon :) , the rotary can be deadly in getting you started but it doesn`t work everywhere or all the time. Assuming you`re setting up on good pigeon ground with traffic and that you pick the right spot, I`ve found 8 or so flockies sufficient to get a few knocked down and added to the pattern as you go. I personally stop adding to the layout around the 40 - 50 mark if not less as I find what little extra draw they create is negated by the crowding up of the killing spot(s).

when i first started i had 3 heads down and 2 heads up, full body pigeons. it worked but then 12 half shells made the difference

now on winter rape we use 100+ birds plus the magnets, bouncers and flapper. each and all have their day and no two days are the same. in summer i just stick to 12, either flocked half shells and FUD all on high sticks to get above crops, a magnet and a couple of bouncers.

in fly fishing its called match the hatch. you need to show them what they have been use to over the last few days. if there is hundreds on the field when your doing reconnaissance that show them as many as you can. if their in small groups then give then a small group.

having said that i have gone out with 6 shells, a bit of netting and still had good shooting, just adding birds to the pattern as their taken.

crows, always use odd numbers and magpies, use one on a fence post of near the hedge just to give a bit on confidence to the pigeons.

During the summer months you can decoy with half a dozen decoys. It's during the winter months when the birds are flocked that you need a bigger spread.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with getting any more full body decoys, there is nothing concrete to say they are better than the shells; The advantage you have with shells is that they stack and take up a lot less room in your kit bag. Personally I would buy a dozen shells (flocked if money allows) to add to your decoys, but they are not absolutely necessary right now.

To summarise, a magnet with a couple of real birds on it and 4 pigeon decoys can work absolutely fine in the summer months, you can add real birds to the pattern as and when they are shot. Since the crops will be quite tall, you need to think about getting your decoys above the crop or on bare patches if you can. Your magnet will attract them from distance then the decoys should take over as they approach hopefully guiding them to the kill zone.

Best of luck, and if like me when I started some of the answers seem confusing, just ask and ask again and again......

Another point is that the more deeks you have out the more chance of one of them tipping over and putting pigeons off as they come in. This is especially the case if you have a big footed clumsy springer spaniel called Ruby that you use for retrieving!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...