New to PW

Hi all, a newbie to pigeon shooting but I have been shooting for 5 years approx, mainly with air rifles and have recently just got my shotgun licence, and spent one season pheasant shooting

Although, I spent many years as a young lad, following my old man around whilst he was shooting (mainly rough shooting), I am now only starting to now understand why he loves it so much.

I have several shoots all in the Wiltshire area, and I also shoot/beat on a local shoot.

I have recently just got into pigeon shooting and was recommended to join the forum for tips and general discussions.

Here's my first question, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

1) I recently put out a maggie decoy, just on the edge of the pigeon decoy pattern(on a fence post next to hawthorne bush), this got a lot of attention from crows in the area, and I managed to bring a few down.

I was told that little owl decoys are also good for bringing in crows, as they mob them, has anyone tried this and does it work?? or will it put off the pigeons? I am guess the latter. answers on a postcard. :D

I have used the owl with some success, but what I find tends to happen is that you'll get a large number of crows coming in at once to mob it, which ends up with you only having a small number of shots. A traditional decoy spread for them works much better, as they come in much more steadily.

I have used the owl with some success, but what I find tends to happen is that you'll get a large number of crows coming in at once to mob it, which ends up with you only having a small number of shots. A traditional decoy spread for them works much better, as they come in much more steadily.

Ok, So as a few of you have stated that the owl decoys have little to no success, traditional would be the better route to take. so i will be spending my money on a few extra crow decoys.

I managed to find a forum discussion around crow decoying on PW last night, so got a few tips. Thanks all for your help.

I read also that pigeons seem to feel more confindent coming into a pattern if they see crows near to the pigeon pattern, so will be trying that out too. :) Let you know how i do, hoping to go out on Thursday, than again Monday.

• 2 weeks later...