kite decoy looked great

I was driving past a field full of nice bits and pieces that the grower was trying to protect, i think it was some type of mixed produce field. I saw he had this fake bird of prey blowing in the very slight breeze on a string. It was black and it looked brilliant. I wonder if anyone could come up with something as good to help draw in pigeons and crows as opposed to scaring them off. It was in a field in woburn just as you come past the safari park and just before you enter the 30mph zone. I liked the way you hardly needed any wind for it to fly.

The "bird of prey" bird scarers I have seen consist of a 15-20ft carbon rod, thick at the base and tapering toward the top.

Cord from the top of the rod is fixed to the "bird of prey" kite, this cord is shorter than the length of the pole, so even when the wind drops, it does not touch the ground.

Once its set up it looks after itself.

I have the reelwing crow and also the pigeon one you need a good wind to keep them up or you spend most of the time outside your hide putting them back in to the wind to go back up :hmm: I also have a black bird kite which you fly off a long pole and fishing line not used it much yet but it look more like a jackdor than the reelwings :good: got it from a company called gokites if this helps.

i have used the jackite black bird, which is larger in size than a jackdaw. it works great with a 3 or 4 mtr telescopic pole (£3-£4.50)

The crow love them.

you can also get a white one which you can paint (maybe flock - havent got that far yet).

not tried them for pigeons yet.

I bought one of the jackite White doves a few years ago. Painted it up like a wood pigeon, hung it from a large pole, and to be honest it wasn't worth all the hassle. Its a nightmare to pack away without creasing it. It didn't fly that well after it was painted, unless there was a fair wind. And no I didn't put half a ton of paint on it, its just very fragile.

More to the point it didn't pull any pigeons in. Even on the rare occasions when it flew well.

So its just another of the things that I've tried and sacked. I've still got it in the shed somewhere.

Someone won a reelwings decoy at the Charity Raffle, I would be very interested if they could update on how they get on with it?

That was me. :good:

Should be going out next week with it. I'll let you know how it goes. :yes:

I bought one of the jackite White doves a few years ago. Painted it up like a wood pigeon, hung it from a large pole, and to be honest it wasn't worth all the hassle. Its a nightmare to pack away without creasing it. It didn't fly that well after it was painted, unless there was a fair wind. And no I didn't put half a ton of paint on it, its just very fragile.

More to the point it didn't pull any pigeons in. Even on the rare occasions when it flew well.

So its just another of the things that I've tried and sacked. I've still got it in the shed somewhere.

I know the feeling mate! - i also have a shed full of nonsense like that! - I can feel a session on the bay of fleas beckoning....

Reel wings tried them don't stay up and scare the birds in my experience. I tried a kite of a peregrine on a fishing pole not much good either pretty though and flew well. Now I use the fishing pole and three guy ropes and fly a hypa flapper on top .... Brilliant!! I fly geese ducks crows and pigeon hypa flappers from it with great success. From the ground it looks like all pole but I think from the air the pole merges into the ground as it's green. It needs to go well out from the deeks tho. Hardly ever use a magnet these days

Edited by utectok

They are pointless, last year there were none around but this year the reps must have been out in force as all of a sudden every farmer seems to have bought them and from talking to the farmers who parted with their cash they were a waste of time, i have yet to see anything scared for more than a few days then they are ignoring it worse than a gas gun.