Lanber probem

ack-ack

I've a sporting deluxe which I really get on with but of late its giving me a bit of grief. Last outing I went up for a bird and it wouldnt fire so I assumed I'd forgot to reload which I hadnt. I dropped the shells out and fired it dry and both pins fired. Next bird that came over same thing happened so I repeated the process and after that it was fine.

Any ideas?

Edited by ack-ack

Next time it happens check the cartridges and see if the primer in the centre is marked if not then probs gun problem,did you hear the firing pins ? I've known sum carts to have dodgy primers ? and this may have been your problem.

Its definately the mechanism, absolutely nothing happens when you pull the trigger. All the carts are getting struck nice when they do fire.

ive had the same problem with my old lanber gona take to get fixed soon as i wana get rid

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that, it felt right as soon as I picked it out of the rack and I love it. Saying that on the quiet days in the hide I've examined every last detail of the gun and there are a flaws that have made me doubt the quality of it. The general finishing isn't fantastic and there are uneven gaps round the forend. I know it aint no Perdy and doesn't profess to be but it does introduce an element of doubt as to the level of precision engineering within its mechanisms.

I'd be grateful if you could let me know what the outcome is with your one chap.

I have one, and have never had a problem, How old is the gun and did you buy it new or second hand?

Have you ever had he gun serviced, if not that would be my first course of action.

Interestingly does it do this with the selecter over either barrel or just 1?

Mine will when selected to fire the top barrel first (when dry firing) immediatly the trigger is released flip over to the second barrel where if the bottom barrel is selected it needs a heafty lump on the stock to switch. Perhaps yours has something like this?

Does it have the selective barrel button on the safety catch ?

I had a Lanber with a similar problem and it went to the Gunsmith who cured it with an adjustment of the safety catch.

He did mention something about it being a common problem with O/U with the selective barrel option, but I must confess I wasn't listening closely.

I have one, and have never had a problem, How old is the gun and did you buy it new or second hand? - DONT KNOW HOW OLD IT IS, BOUGHT IT SECOND HAND LAST YEAR WHEN I DECIDED TO TRY AND GET BACK INTO SHOOTING. THERE WASNT A MARK ON IT AND IT WAS NICE AND TIGHT.

Have you ever had he gun serviced, if not that would be my first course of action. NO, GOOD POINT, WILL LOOK INTO THAT, I JUST WORRY THAT THEY COULD GIVE ME A LOAD OF OLD TOSH AND RELIEVE ME OF A FEW HUNDRED QUID FOR DOING NOTHING, I AM NO EXPERT AND WOULDNT KNOW IF THEY DID!

Interestingly does it do this with the selecter over either barrel or just 1? I WONDERED WHETHER THE SELECTOR WAS NOT FULLY ENGAGED AND WASNT VERY SCIENTIFIC WHEN TRYING TO ASCERTAIN WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. I RE-COCKED IT EMPTY AND FLICKED SELECTOR AND SAFETY ON/OFF A FEW TIMES AND THEN IT SEEMED TO WORK AGAIN (WHEN ALL THE CHUFFING BIRDS HAD NICKED OFF)

Mine will when selected to fire the top barrel first (when dry firing) immediatly the trigger is released flip over to the second barrel where if the bottom barrel is selected it needs a heafty lump on the stock to switch. Perhaps yours has something like this? I'LL NOTE POSITIONS OF EVERYTHING NEXT TIME IT DOES IT.

Cheers for the reply, looks like its a trip to the gunsmiths. (big groan)

Does it have the selective barrel button on the safety catch ?

I had a Lanber with a similar problem and it went to the Gunsmith who cured it with an adjustment of the safety catch.

He did mention something about it being a common problem with O/U with the selective barrel option, but I must confess I wasn't listening closely.

Yes its selector and safety all in one. Hopefully common problem means easily rectified. Fingers crossed!

• 1 year later...

I still use a Lanber field version that is about 1986 and once had to replace the spring ( fiddly but doable and costs little ) that is on the safety. My brother-in-law had a sporter version in about 2002 and in a short time his spring went as well, when he sadly passed away my friend bought it and it is still going good.

The old springs were wire the new ones are like flat, apparently common problem on a Lanber.

Does the safety catch seem "loose" ?

• 2 weeks later...