which 4x4 with a 4k price tag???

shotgun tim

I'd get anything other than the hilux, you're going to get more for your money. A £4K hilux is going to be older, have more miles and be more of a wreck than the others. I know you only want it for knocking about it, but for £4k you don't want a total shed. I'd probably take a TD5 disco or an L200!

iv got a family car also its going to be used for takin dogs out picking up stalking lamping ect my l200 cost me 28k i always thought it was too good for what i used it for thats why im opting for a cheaper 1

have a look at the last of the old shape L200's 4-5k should get you a decent one, if you don't go far the similar priced rangers are ok but very agricultural inside. Navaras it gets you the old shape that had engine problems, pros are most have had replacement engines with the fault corrected and also prices are low because of the problems. Personally if you've had a pickup and you have dogs then its hard to go back to having them in the vehicle with you after shooting

For the sort of budget you have you are probably in the territory of a decent brand 4x4 but with high mileage and lots of wear if looking at Defenders etc or on the other end you are well budgeted for an older truck which will probably have loads of life left in it.  You didn't say if it is purely a shooting bus or if it will also be your everyday car although it sounds like it may be just your shooting vehicle.

If it were for everyday use I would probably look japanese ie Shogun or Pajero etc and have money left over as if you an get one only imported a few years ago the chassis and bodywork are likely to be sound but if for just occasional use I would choose a Defender everytime bear in mind though it may be pretty worn for the price, have a good check of the chassis if you do buy one, my mate got a 90 300tdi for similar money last year which appeared to have been nicely undersealed and had a nice chassis, it failed it's next mot as the undersealer had been hiding a mess of thin cheese like metal and filler, needed a new chassis at approximate £2000 fitted, the truck looked sound but Looks can be deceiving so be careful.

Good luck with your choice anyway

Edited by saxosim

Looking around just as a shooting bus have a look at the Defender 90s or 110s which are ex military and are now being disposed. They would have been well maintained and the chassis should be sound and possibly extra plated in places for extra strength etc, looking in the link below they seem to be a bargain and available as a 90, 110 with choice of hard or soft top for around £3250, bargain, they have 2.5 NA engines but some are reconditioned. Have a look - http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicles/,25,46,/90.htm

Cheers

Simon

Edited by saxosim

For that price range you could get a cracking recently imported low mileage Pajero-preferably the 3 litre model. Will have all the toys on it as standard (dont bother with the uk spec shogun's-overpriced!). Plus you'll have some money left over! :good: